Sign in with
Your question

Can a Router do this.....

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
December 29, 2001 7:32:47 AM

Currently I am using a hub to share my cable internet connection between 2 computers. With the cable modem connected DIRECTLY to my main computer and the client computer connect/share the internet by connecting to a hub linked to the main computer.

What this means is that for the CLIENT computer to access the Internet, the MAIN computer MUST be turned on.

With a router, is it possible, by connecting the cable modem into the router, that the CLIENT can use the internet WITHOUT the main turned on?

Thanks

More about : router

December 29, 2001 12:21:53 PM

Yes.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
December 29, 2001 1:54:26 PM

I use a Hub also. My DSL goes to the Hub from there to my two computers, which have Nic cards. Either one can reach the Internet with out the other being on. I think you could do the same if you have a couple Nic cards.

defrage is child's play-fdisk
Related resources
December 29, 2001 2:00:03 PM

huh? That's wouldn't be possible unless your ISP gives you more than 1 IP address

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 29, 2001 9:35:06 PM

Quote:
huh? That's wouldn't be possible unless your ISP gives you more than 1 IP address

Are you saying I can't or cable can't? Because with my DSL and a Hub I have two computers running off it. Either one can go on line, with the other PC on or off. They also can search at the sametime, or one search while the other plays games on line.
Now my girlfriend has cable I help her hook it up. I notice when she hits Internet Explorer she gets the cable home page, where I get MSN.
With out having cable myself I would think you could still do it like I can with my DSL. But, I don't have it and didn't do it, so I can't be sure. I know with AOL and only one account, only one computer can access at a time. With MSN I'm bringing my own access, which is DSL.

December 29, 2001 10:59:26 PM

I'm saying you have a generous ISP. Most ISPs give you only 1 IP number and then you have to pay extra for more. If you have only 1 IP number then you need a router to share internet access.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 30, 2001 12:31:00 AM

I don't know much about the IP number, but my hub I notice has 8 connections. Do you think my ISP is generouse enough to let me use all 8? I feel pretty confident that I could use all 8 at once and even more if my hub had more outlets. I realy don't see where I'm limited.

December 30, 2001 1:57:39 AM

Doubt it! I doubt they'll give you more than 3 or 4 ips.

December 30, 2001 2:26:55 AM

It's to bad I don't have 8 PC to try it out. So I did the next best thing I called my ISP. They said if my hub has 8 out lets then thats how many can go on at once. If there are larger hubs, then that many. So if a hub has 20 or 100 that many can go on.

December 30, 2001 2:38:17 AM

What kind of DSL modem are you using? There are some (I have and Efficient Speedstream 5660) that has a router built in. Maybe your DSL modem is doing NAT behind your back.

December 30, 2001 3:42:41 AM

My modem is a Infospeed from Westell.
The software is two steps.
1. It reconizes my connection.
2. To register.
I don't use their brouser which is Netscape or their e-mail, so I don't do step two. I just get the little TVs up, then use MSN, since it's free. And I do this to both PC. I don't know if this clears anything up or not.

December 30, 2001 9:03:30 AM

Well, that modem isn't a router. I guess your ISP gives you unlimited IP addresses. Kinda nice of them. BTW, who is your ISP?

December 30, 2001 11:54:15 AM

That's amazing!! Unlimited IPs!

December 30, 2001 2:37:23 PM

Verison

December 30, 2001 4:28:24 PM

How much are you paying a month?

December 30, 2001 4:47:50 PM

The plan is like: to my best this is for home use. For busness it's a little more, but funny thing is you pay more, but get about the same speed, maybe even less. Thought I beleive there is much higher bandwhich.
Dn Up

$49 786mb 128kb
$59 1.5 128
$79 1.5 356

I pay 59. I did have the 79, but drop that, because I never saw more then 120 Up.

I'm around 1400 by 100 now.

December 30, 2001 7:06:56 PM

Wow, I have 3mbps+ and 400kbps+ cable for $40 CDN or about $26USD!

December 30, 2001 7:51:19 PM

I've got the 49.99 plan and I only get one IP. Didn't realize the next step up gives you more than one. Thats cool.

AFA DSL vs. Cable, overall Cable is a much better deal. Cheaper and faster. The only thing is, some people can't get cable but can get DSL. Other people are in the reverse boat. I can get both. I signed up for 12 months with Verizon just to see how it was.

Also, as you probably know, with DSL you've got a home run to the CO, cable you share bandwidth with your neighbors. So at peak times like 8PM weeknights cable will slow down a bit. DSL should pretty much remain stable. But you're right, cable is a better deal.

December 30, 2001 9:05:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, I have 3mbps+ and 400kbps+

Is that what you pay for, or speed test you have done?

December 30, 2001 9:46:47 PM

Quote:
I've got the 49.99 plan and I only get one IP. Didn't realize the next step up gives you more than one. Thats cool.

I don't know if that's true or not, because I had a slower speed and I think I had two computers at the time. I'm not a betting man, but I would bet it wouldn't matter which plan I had that I would still have unlimited PC on the Net or like you say IP addresses.

Well I just check my address and check the one on the other computer. I am here and she is playing UT on line. The address was the same. I think I only have one address, but can have several PC with that address. If this is the address you guys are talking about.

Internet Option
Connections
Settings
Properties
Host name or IP address... yes the same on both PC

I didn't say cable was a better deal. I think that would be like comparing AMD and Intel. Hmmm, well you know what I mean.

December 30, 2001 10:42:37 PM

what I pay for. In downloading I haven't seen over 384KB/s second yet, that's about 3mbps. Uploading is about 30-40KB/s.

December 31, 2001 12:06:05 AM

My speed shows 1400 Dn Up 100 kbps
I see your's at 386 Dn Up 30-40 kbps

I'm not sure how you got 3Mb

I did my test at dslreports and didn't get that speed untill I tweak it.

December 31, 2001 12:57:10 AM

in a DOS window, type ipconfig. This will give your IP address.

December 31, 2001 1:10:58 AM

3mbps max, not min!

December 31, 2001 1:33:07 AM

Quote:
what I pay for. In downloading <font color=red>I haven't seen over 384KB/s second yet,</font color=red> that's about 3mbps. Uploading is about 30-40KB/s.

I see 384 kbps far cry from 3000kbps or 3mb

December 31, 2001 1:49:00 AM

Yeah those are different

December 31, 2001 12:31:14 PM

384KB/s (kilobytes per second) is 3072kbps (kilobits per second).

December 31, 2001 2:58:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah those are different

Just for kicks, what IP addresses are you seeing?

December 31, 2001 5:01:22 PM

Quote:
384KB/s (kilobytes per second) is 3072kbps (kilobits per second).

384KB/s = 3072 kbps <font color=red>I'm confused.</font color=red>

kbps = kilobytes per second
KB/s = <font color=red> what does this mean </font color=red>

December 31, 2001 5:05:18 PM

There like 000.000.000.000

I'm not sure why for kicks you would want them. Because it would seem to me that one shouldn't give them out.

December 31, 2001 8:55:32 PM

OK - basically if they're in the 10.0.0.X range, or in the 192.168.0.X range then something is doing NAT. If they're in the 251.X.X.X range then Verizon is handing out multiple IP's to you. I was just curious to see why you're getting multiple IP's from Verizon and I'm not.

Don't worry, I'm not interested in hacking into your systems. BTW - I hope you're running some kind of firewall because if you've got raw IP's on the net you're asking for trouble.

December 31, 2001 10:25:09 PM

My IP seems to be closer to 150. but with one 200+
The other same, but one under 50. if that helps.

I'm curious too. Are you able to get two PC on the Net at the sametime. If you say no you will blow my mind.

I do have firewall. I downloaded a trial version of ZoneAlarm Pro. And I just bought it at the store. Seems easy enough.

December 31, 2001 10:43:55 PM

KB is kilobyte! kb is kilobit

January 1, 2002 2:52:21 AM

I'm getting too confused about your config to proceed, but I'm only getting one IP from Verizon (the standard $49.99 service) and I use a router for multiple PC's. Congrats on getting what seems to be more service than standard.

Rock on!

January 2, 2002 7:34:25 AM

aMd_dude

in re:

"KB is kilobyte! kb is kilobit"

Actually a <b>KB</b> would be a Kelvin Byte, I think you mean that a <b>kB</b> is a kiloByte and a <b>kb</b> is a kilobit. A byte is 8 bits so a kB is 8 times bigger then a kb.

See <A HREF="http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html" target="_new">http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html&lt;/A> for International System of Units (SI) Prefixes and see <A HREF="http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html" target="_new">http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html&lt;/A> for base SI units.

Also FYI a little m is milli or one one thousandth to the smaller end of things but big M is for Mega or one million times the base unit to the bigger end of things.

Remember if you ain't Muslim you ain't Shiite.
January 2, 2002 12:09:59 PM

Umm, that's wrong. I've always seen it as KB not kB.

January 2, 2002 3:25:34 PM

I believe that when you say K would be Kelvin you are confusing the use of prefix abbreviations with those for units. Multiplicative factors > 1 are always capitalized while those < 1 are lowercase. K means a multiplicative factor of 1000, but it has also been used in both uppercase and lowercase form in memory and disk size applications to mean 1024 = 2^10 because of binary addressing. There has been some discussion about always using the lowercase k to indicate 1024 and reserve K for its true multiplicative value of 1000, but I don't know if this has been standardized. In any event, this doesn't solve the problem of using M to indicate both 2^20 = 1048576 and 1 million. Current usage for memory and disk space seems to be that MB represents 2^20 Bytes with the exact value written out afterwards if desired. The 'G' prefix raises the same problem. In communications and other applications it means 10^9 while in memory and disk storage it means 2^30. Using the context of the abbreviation seems to be the only solution. It is important to remember that 8000 is the base for digital communication speeds so that an ISDN B-channel running at a rate of 64Kbps means 64000 bits per second, NOT 64 * 1024. So, when stating communication speeds only the uppercase K should be used, IMO.
January 3, 2002 1:29:06 AM

I'm not confused. If we assume that you are correct in saying: "Multiplicative factors > 1 are always capitalized while those < 1 are lowercase" then AMDdude still has a problem with the statement: "KB is kilobyte! kb is kilobit" because he uses kb for kilobit which clearly means one thousand bits which is clearly bigger then one bit.

Also if you are correct the folks at the link <A HREF="http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html" target="_new">http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html&lt;/A> and <A HREF="http://www.cofc.edu/~frysingj/basic.htm" target="_new">http://www.cofc.edu/~frysingj/basic.htm&lt;/A> must be wrong?

January 3, 2002 3:20:34 AM

My apologies, you are correct concerning the capitalization of the kilo abbreviation. The article I had read recently concerning this was incorrect, but I should have known better. However, the uppercase use of K by itself is informally being used to represent 1024 bytes, as discussed at <A HREF="http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/quantifier..." target="_new">http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/quantifier...;/A>. Apparently, the use of 'k' to represent either 1000 in decimal contexts or 1024 in binary contexts is permitted for SI unit prefixes. Unfortunately there are a number of inconsistent and conflicting 'conventions' that arise in computer terminology that are not covered by any accepted standard such as the definition of a 'word' as either 16 bits or the native unit of storage for a CPU. It is fairly well accepted that 'B' stands for Byte and 'b' stands for bit, but I don't know that this is etched in stone anywhere.
January 3, 2002 4:00:20 AM

i thought zone alarm was free to single users, but buisnesses have to pay? thats the way it used to be.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
January 3, 2002 9:07:01 AM

ttaylordude

I believe we are on the same page and that we both understand what was meant by KB and kb. I wouldn't have even said anything if we all understood but someone was having trouble understanding so I got a little nitpicky. Sorry if I went too far or said anything to further confuse the issue. My background on the issue is from physics and may not alway be correct for computer issues. What do you think of the M and m being for 2(20) and 1,000,000? I have always assumed that in physics M means exactly 1,000,000 and in computer talk it means 1,048,576. Does M ever mean 1,000,000 in computer talk? To me a little m means milli or 1/1000.

January 3, 2002 10:14:33 AM

Quote:
i thought zone alarm was free to single users, but buisnesses have to pay? thats the way it used to be.

Got me, because I am a single user. I had a 30 day trial after that was suppsoe to buy if I wanted. Unless I reinstalled it each more. I ended up going out and buying and registering a copy for a year free updates.

Complicated Nit Picker
January 3, 2002 9:37:45 PM

Yes. M means 10^6 in computer applications when referring to communications speeds such as Ethernet at 10 or 100Mbps. The only area where k, M, G take on their binary meanings of 2^10, 2^20, and 2^30 are in areas that are naturally binary, such as memory addressing. Since disk sectors are read and written to/from memory buffers, they also follow binary size conventions such as 128, 256, 512, 1024, etc. Similiarly, record sizes of many serial protocols such as x/y/zmodem, bisync, hdlc, etc. tend to be powers of 2 as well, although this isn't always true. For example, Ethernet with a maximum frame size of 1518 or a datagram size of 1500 certainly isn't a power of two. Generally, whether binary or decimal base is used is clear from the context.
Anonymous
January 11, 2002 5:04:48 PM

I've NEVER encoutered an ISP who provides UNLIMITED IP Addresses. Where do they get all these IP Addresses from? I have cable modem and my ISP only gave me ONE IP Address, if I want additional one, I have to pay $5 for it. How can they stay in business? Have you thought of selling your additional IP addresses at a discounted price? J/K

Anyone knows what's a good DSL/CABLE Router? Is D-Link any good?
January 11, 2002 6:49:44 PM

WOW - I either want an ISP like that or somma what their smokin...

Anyway - Cable/DSL Router/switchs - killer, Love it. I'm using a Linksys 8 port - the BEFSR81. But I hear the DLink and SMC are good also...

I went 8 port to replace the old hub cause I read the switch is faster than a hub if ya have much traffic on your LAN - and is sure seams so. I gotta say the LinkSYS is a real easy, no problems unit... been on and connected(nonstop, 24/7) now about 5 months and NO Problems - and it totally manages the connection with ease... Just "Set it and Forget it"
Ya got a happy LinkSys vote here!
Anonymous
January 12, 2002 12:08:52 AM

Cool, thanks for your info. I'm thinking about getting a USB Cable/DSL Router from Linksys, the download rate can only go up to 48Mbps and upload is 10Mbps, how fast is that? Sorry I'm not familiar with Mbps or mpbs stuff, they confused me.

Thanks
January 12, 2002 12:55:25 PM

Have no experience with USB stuff...

I've got BellsouthDSL, AlCatel DSL Modem(rj45 NIC interface) into LinKsys DSL/Cabe Router/Switch(Rj45) and 4 boxes + laptop + the project box in process hangin on the LAN... What I like is that the LinkSys router does all the logon and PPPoE connection management so all the boxes need to do is point their Eithernet GateWay to the Router - and its just that easy!!!
*** DslReports today gives:( does fluctuate but usually around the same)
Test running..........
** Speed 1170(down)/211(up) kbps **
(At least 23 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.
*** which is totally acceptable and never a problem...

My Neighbor has same Bellsouth DSL but USB interface and has BellSouth commin out quite a bit and is always complainin... Eh! he doesn't talk about his inside setup or machines - just that he has a USP Modem... Oh Well!!!

All I can say for sure it that the RJ45 NIC interface is certainly a smooth, sweet, no problems setup... Works for me! With any OS, Win Linux, and OS/2...
January 31, 2002 12:50:35 AM

What you are getting is "unlimited" PRIVATE IP addresses, not PUBLIC addresses. There is a big difference. The DSL modem you have from Verizon is acting as a router. The outside interface of the router has a public address. It also is running DHCP on the inside interface (towards your hub) that hands out private addresses.

No ISP in the world can give you unlimited public IP addresses. Especially for no additional charge!!

-hyp

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"
January 31, 2002 2:20:04 AM

I'll have to take your word for it, since I haven't a clue.
January 31, 2002 6:14:52 AM

Wow.. those rates are high...
Most DSL users here pay $37.95 a month for 1.5Mb/s down and 384kb/s up. I only pay $19.99 a month because our company does the installs for our ISP. :cool:

I don't see any ISP handing out unlimited IPs.. especially for no extra cost. Perhaps that's why your rates seem so high.. maybe your getting a couple extra IPs with the package.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
!