Can a Router do this.....

G

Currently I am using a hub to share my cable internet connection between 2 computers. With the cable modem connected DIRECTLY to my main computer and the client computer connect/share the internet by connecting to a hub linked to the main computer.

What this means is that for the CLIENT computer to access the Internet, the MAIN computer MUST be turned on.

With a router, is it possible, by connecting the cable modem into the router, that the CLIENT can use the internet WITHOUT the main turned on?

Thanks

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I use a Hub also. My DSL goes to the Hub from there to my two computers, which have Nic cards. Either one can reach the Internet with out the other being on. I think you could do the same if you have a couple Nic cards.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
huh? That's wouldn't be possible unless your ISP gives you more than 1 IP address

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
huh? That's wouldn't be possible unless your ISP gives you more than 1 IP address
Are you saying I can't or cable can't? Because with my DSL and a Hub I have two computers running off it. Either one can go on line, with the other PC on or off. They also can search at the sametime, or one search while the other plays games on line.
Now my girlfriend has cable I help her hook it up. I notice when she hits Internet Explorer she gets the cable home page, where I get MSN.
With out having cable myself I would think you could still do it like I can with my DSL. But, I don't have it and didn't do it, so I can't be sure. I know with AOL and only one account, only one computer can access at a time. With MSN I'm bringing my own access, which is DSL.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'm saying you have a generous ISP. Most ISPs give you only 1 IP number and then you have to pay extra for more. If you have only 1 IP number then you need a router to share internet access.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I don't know much about the IP number, but my hub I notice has 8 connections. Do you think my ISP is generouse enough to let me use all 8? I feel pretty confident that I could use all 8 at once and even more if my hub had more outlets. I realy don't see where I'm limited.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
It's to bad I don't have 8 PC to try it out. So I did the next best thing I called my ISP. They said if my hub has 8 out lets then thats how many can go on at once. If there are larger hubs, then that many. So if a hub has 20 or 100 that many can go on.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What kind of DSL modem are you using? There are some (I have and Efficient Speedstream 5660) that has a router built in. Maybe your DSL modem is doing NAT behind your back.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
My modem is a Infospeed from Westell.
The software is two steps.
1. It reconizes my connection.
2. To register.
I don't use their brouser which is Netscape or their e-mail, so I don't do step two. I just get the little TVs up, then use MSN, since it's free. And I do this to both PC. I don't know if this clears anything up or not.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Well, that modem isn't a router. I guess your ISP gives you unlimited IP addresses. Kinda nice of them. BTW, who is your ISP?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
The plan is like: to my best this is for home use. For busness it's a little more, but funny thing is you pay more, but get about the same speed, maybe even less. Thought I beleive there is much higher bandwhich.
Dn Up

$49 786mb 128kb
$59 1.5 128
$79 1.5 356

I pay 59. I did have the 79, but drop that, because I never saw more then 120 Up.

I'm around 1400 by 100 now.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I've got the 49.99 plan and I only get one IP. Didn't realize the next step up gives you more than one. Thats cool.

AFA DSL vs. Cable, overall Cable is a much better deal. Cheaper and faster. The only thing is, some people can't get cable but can get DSL. Other people are in the reverse boat. I can get both. I signed up for 12 months with Verizon just to see how it was.

Also, as you probably know, with DSL you've got a home run to the CO, cable you share bandwidth with your neighbors. So at peak times like 8PM weeknights cable will slow down a bit. DSL should pretty much remain stable. But you're right, cable is a better deal.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I've got the 49.99 plan and I only get one IP. Didn't realize the next step up gives you more than one. Thats cool.
I don't know if that's true or not, because I had a slower speed and I think I had two computers at the time. I'm not a betting man, but I would bet it wouldn't matter which plan I had that I would still have unlimited PC on the Net or like you say IP addresses.

Well I just check my address and check the one on the other computer. I am here and she is playing UT on line. The address was the same. I think I only have one address, but can have several PC with that address. If this is the address you guys are talking about.

Internet Option
Connections
Settings
Properties
Host name or IP address... yes the same on both PC

I didn't say cable was a better deal. I think that would be like comparing AMD and Intel. Hmmm, well you know what I mean.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
what I pay for. In downloading I haven't seen over 384KB/s second yet, that's about 3mbps. Uploading is about 30-40KB/s.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
My speed shows 1400 Dn Up 100 kbps
I see your's at 386 Dn Up 30-40 kbps

I'm not sure how you got 3Mb

I did my test at dslreports and didn't get that speed untill I tweak it.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
what I pay for. In downloading <font color=red>I haven't seen over 384KB/s second yet,</font color=red> that's about 3mbps. Uploading is about 30-40KB/s.
I see 384 kbps far cry from 3000kbps or 3mb