BRAND NEW PC keeps turning off

G

Well i'm posting for my friend, basically he just built his computer today and he installed windows and everything and battlefield badcompany 2 but ever since he tried joining a game his computer keeps turning off like every couple minutes...anyone know what the problem could be?

EDIT: Maybe something was plugged in the wrong slot? Would it even start up if something was?

UPDATE: it stays on as long as he doesnt run anything, as soon as he starts running stuff it crashes... here is his build:

Power Supply: 700W
GFX: XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
RAM: CORSAIR XMS 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3A1333C9
MOBO: EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

EDIT2: um the GPU is plugged into the power supply by 2 6pin cables. also on the mobo the power supply is connected to the mobo in 2 different spots where i circled in red, but for each spot there was 2 cables each (for the one on the right there was a 20 pin plug and a 4 pin plug) and for the one on the left there was 2 four pin plugs...all those are plugged in. also he says the mobo is really hot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

he has just told me that his temps say 99C

he has just told me that his temps say 99C

Well there's his problem! :D When he built this machine, did he put thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink? Are the fans running? Do they continue to run when he puts the system under the load of playing a game? Your friend needs to address these issues before he runs this system again or he may be in danger of frying his processor.

[/#000ff]

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
his CPU temp is now 55C, checking to see if his PC is still crashing...

55 degrees IDLE?!?!? That is too hot.

Thermal paste makes a big difference. It's very important.

Download ORTHOS (free stress testing tool) and CoreTemp (free temperature monitoring tool). Run the orthos stress test and coretemp and see what temperature the CPU is under full load. If its 70 degrees it's probably too hot. A CPU overheating will cause a failsafe mechanism to shut the computer down. That could explain the problem.