Cannot mirror system boot partition on unallocated partition

ahaia

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Dears,

I have Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit installed on DELL desktop (Optiplex 990) i7 Core.
I have two HDD: Disk 0 contains the operating system 500GB. and Disk 1 empty 1TB.

I want to make a partition on disk 1 to mirror the operating system partition and keep the remaining for data storage.
I tried to do but I had the following error message:
"All disks holding extents for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size must be valid."

I tried to attach a screen shot but couldn't.

Thanks for cooperation.

Regards.

ahaia

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

thank you for your answer, Is there any cheaper solution? Can I change the format for the new HDD to be 512kb sector?

Regards.

Nope, the layout can not be changed. If you want to mirror a 512KB/sector drive then you need an older 512KB/sector drive, no alternative. Just make sure that you don't get a 512E (note the 'E') drive, they are 4KB/sector drives with firmware that emulates the 512KB/sector layout. They may not work for your purposes.

ahaia

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Thank you all for your help.
I approached WD forum and have a good solution which is Acronis True Image software. This can do the work but unfortunately the source shall be Basic and I transformed it to Dynamic already so I need to retransform it again to Basic so I can get benefit from this software.

Regards.