New gaming monitor

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 5, 2011 7:05:31 PM

Hi community, i would like to get some opinion on which monitor to buy for gaming.

I currently own an ASUS VW266H which is great for gaming ( for a 300$ range monitor) but not the best and the picture is not so great.

I would like to get some opinion for any >=24 & < 27= inch monitors

Currently Im checking the DELL UltraSharp U2410. The review seems great and the picture looks flawless.
There also the 27 inch but the input lag seems terrible for me since I'm a FPS shooter type of gamer.

However, the price of the 24' is 599$. I dunno if I can find another brand as good as the U2410 with the same picture quality.

Money is not an issue, but if I can save some buck, It won't bother me :D 

If you can give me your opinion about the dell or any other brand >24 inch it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Resolution must be 1920 * 1200 minimum. ( I have an hd5970 + hd5870 "trifire" setup)

More about : gaming monitor

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2011 7:17:53 PM

If you're looking for a large IPS gaming monitor, the two I'd suggest would either be the Dell u2412m or the 30" hp zr30w.

Both have reasonable response time, and low input lag. The zr30w is unique in the 30" class because of it's lack of onscreen controls (and a scalar). While this feels cheap, it's the reason its input lag is so low.

The u2412m is of course much much cheaper.
m
l
December 5, 2011 7:36:14 PM

HI MagicPants, I would prefer to stay in range of 24 to 27 inch. ( I don't want to have to move my head to get everything from my screen since I'm mainly FPS gaming.) :D 

Sorry I didn't specify it in my first post.

However, you did suggest the U2412m, which is a Ultrasharp too( with the resolution i'm looking for). What is the difference between the U2410 except the price obviously? I never experienced a 600$ range monitors, so would it be sharper, more beautiful and faster than a U2412m?

The price of the U2412m is pretty good, but I would like to know if the difference with a u2410 would be REALLY obvious in term of picture quality and response time/input lag.

m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2011 8:41:15 PM

It's just that the u2412m is e-ips while the 2410 is h-ips.

E-Ips uses dithering to produce 8-bit like color. That's only really bad if you are trying to change the color of an individual pixel (digital painting). And smooth gradients (like in the sky) might not look as good. But it's not that bad.

H-Ips still uses dithering, but it's to get 10-bit like color.
December 6, 2011 11:04:03 AM

For Gaming purpose you have to get the monitor of size greater than 30 inch. It will be very exciting.
m
l
December 6, 2011 12:02:33 PM

claydavis said:
For Gaming purpose you have to get the monitor of size greater than 30 inch. It will be very exciting.

Hehe I understand for single player gameplay but for multiplayer fps( competitive gameplay ), I can't afford to loose any millisecond moving my head to scan the left side of the screen while something might be moving on the right :D  And I don't wanna sit 6 feet away from my screen.

I'll take a look at the 2412m. I think I have a dell store with a few monitors in display.

Any advice on any 27 inch. I can go to this size but it must have a fast response time.

m
l
December 6, 2011 12:02:48 PM

Best answer selected by mike30.
m
l
December 6, 2011 12:34:58 PM

Humm the u2410 seems to be in sale right now. 399 instead of 599.

Deal or not? I think it is.
m
l
!