Sign in with
Your question

Help Calibrating ASUS VH238H

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 6, 2011 3:42:53 AM

I just bought an ASUS VH238H 23" monitor on a nice Newegg Black Friday deal.

Prior to this monitor I was using an old Acer 20" display with a max resolution of 1680x1050 which was not LED backlight.

As soon as I plugged this in I noticed a very "washed" looking background with visible lighter and darker areas on the screen whether I view it from 2 feet or 10 feet. This goes away when I load anything besides a black background.

That aside, the default profiles are garbage and while I've calibrated TVs before and I calibrated my old monitor a long time ago, I have never had the expanded options I have on this monitor and I dont really know what to do.

There are 6 default profiles, Scenery Mode, Standard Mode, Theater Mode, Game Mode, Night View Mode and sRGB mode. I'm currently using Scenery Mode with a Warm color temperature and Red skintone. Anything else the colors are way off and look washed. That being said, reds look wrong and faces look too yellow even after turning down the reds to a point where faces turn grey.

I really have no idea what I'm doing and I went through a few tutorials and was able to adjust the obvious settings like sharpness, brightness and contrast, but when it comes to gamma I have no idea how to adjust that, I have no option for adjusting black point or white point, and I dont even know what profile to start from since sRGB mode isnt even changeable.

If anyone has this monitor, or if anyone has used an ASUS monitor similar to this and knows what settings to mess with I'd be very thankful.

More about : calibrating asus vh238h

December 6, 2011 9:14:19 PM

Hey man,

Yeah the default settings on TN panel displays tend to be pretty bad. There's no way to really get it right unless you have a colorimeter.

I guess maybe try to find a color profile somewhere for your monitor. Other than that you could also try to get a cheap colorimeter yourself and do your own calibrations.

Andy
m
l
December 6, 2011 11:44:23 PM

Well my main problem is I dont know what to adjust because I dont have the settings some of these guides talk about. What do I adjust for gamma? Do I have to just do every color individually?
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2011 2:25:20 AM

The gamma should be in your video card settings. You can adjust all the settings there.

As for the colors, I don't really know what you could do unless you have something measuring the colors correctly as your adjusting it. I don't really know much about the guides as I use a colorimeter.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Andy
m
l
May 20, 2014 3:17:24 PM

I need help adjusting my monitor. It hurts my eyes to look at it. Washed out. Seems blurry. Bright. I've tried making some adjustments, but nothing seems to make much difference. I only paid a little over $100 for this, so if I can't get it right soon, it's going to the garbage container. I'll write it off as a dumb move by me.
m
l
!