Compatible Mouse

Hello,

I have a Dell 8300 (purchased 12/2003) with a combo wireless keyboard and
mouse. The keyboard and mouse share the same Dell wireless interface (USB
transceiver?) on the computer end. We have just about worn out the mouse and
would like to replace it with a 5 button model, something like the
intellimouse or perhaps logitech equivalent. Which mice are compatible with
the Dell wireless interface attached to the computer, or will I end up
having to use the transceiver that comes with the new mouse and will this
cause problems with the existing transceiver?

Thanks in advance,

Bret

Bret wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell 8300 (purchased 12/2003) with a combo wireless keyboard
> and mouse. The keyboard and mouse share the same Dell wireless
> interface (USB transceiver?) on the computer end. We have just about
> worn out the mouse and would like to replace it with a 5 button
> model, something like the intellimouse or perhaps logitech
> equivalent. Which mice are compatible with the Dell wireless
> interface attached to the computer, or will I end up having to use
> the transceiver that comes with the new mouse and will this cause
> problems with the existing transceiver?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bret

The combo keyboard uses its own set of radio frequencies as do the
wireless mouses use their own frequencies. Having a bunch of wireless
mouses around, there has never been an interference one with another,
and a given mouse/transmitter combo seems to work only with the original
pair. It seems that you will have to use the transmitter that is
supplied with the mouse.

Thanks for the quick reply,Q! Let me ask another question: this Dell is
located with 3 feet of another PC that uses a wireless Intellimouse
Explorer. If I purchased another Intellimouse Explorer just like it for the
Dell, then I am guessing from your earlier response that they should not
interfere with each other???? Your thoughts???

Thanks again,

Bret

> Bret wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Dell 8300 (purchased 12/2003) with a combo wireless keyboard
> > and mouse. The keyboard and mouse share the same Dell wireless
> > interface (USB transceiver?) on the computer end. We have just about
> > worn out the mouse and would like to replace it with a 5 button
> > model, something like the intellimouse or perhaps logitech
> > equivalent. Which mice are compatible with the Dell wireless
> > interface attached to the computer, or will I end up having to use
> > the transceiver that comes with the new mouse and will this cause
> > problems with the existing transceiver?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Bret
>
> The combo keyboard uses its own set of radio frequencies as do the
> wireless mouses use their own frequencies. Having a bunch of wireless
> mouses around, there has never been an interference one with another,
> and a given mouse/transmitter combo seems to work only with the original
> pair. It seems that you will have to use the transmitter that is
> supplied with the mouse.

They can use different channels. When you press the button on the base and
mouse it finds a new channel.

tom
"Bret" <bdef@nospam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the quick reply,Q! Let me ask another question: this Dell is
> located with 3 feet of another PC that uses a wireless Intellimouse
> Explorer. If I purchased another Intellimouse Explorer just like it for
the
> Dell, then I am guessing from your earlier response that they should not
> interfere with each other???? Your thoughts???
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Bret

> > Bret wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a Dell 8300 (purchased 12/2003) with a combo wireless keyboard
> > > and mouse. The keyboard and mouse share the same Dell wireless
> > > interface (USB transceiver?) on the computer end. We have just about
> > > worn out the mouse and would like to replace it with a 5 button
> > > model, something like the intellimouse or perhaps logitech
> > > equivalent. Which mice are compatible with the Dell wireless
> > > interface attached to the computer, or will I end up having to use
> > > the transceiver that comes with the new mouse and will this cause
> > > problems with the existing transceiver?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Bret
> >
> > The combo keyboard uses its own set of radio frequencies as do the
> > wireless mouses use their own frequencies. Having a bunch of wireless
> > mouses around, there has never been an interference one with another,
> > and a given mouse/transmitter combo seems to work only with the original
> > pair. It seems that you will have to use the transmitter that is
> > supplied with the mouse.

Cool, thanx!

Bret