Windows 7 upgrade Mistake

mcastellanos6

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
First off i want to say i'm an idiot. i bought windows 7 at best buy (big mistake) thinking it was the full version but i actually got the upgrade version. got the disk and installed the 64-bit operation system and then relized that i had just installed the update version. the os is running but i get a message it's not genuine. so here's my question. once i get the full version do i need to uninstall the update version im running now or can i just pop the cd in and download the os again without no problems? i got the update version of windows 7 but didn't i need a existing os to upgrade (like vista or xp)? the wierd thing is the os is running but i had no os to upgrade? Did I really screw things up or is this a minor problem? Please help!

So it says it isn't genuine but what does it do next? Is it offering you the chance to pop in the CD of an earlier version of Windows to validate your entitlement to an upgrade? If it won't activate, does it not offer you the chance to telephone Micro$oft and explain why you wanted to upgrade on to a clean platform? If you only have the CoA of your old XP installation - taken from the side of the computer case - that's enought to satisfy their requirements.

[/#000ff]

mcastellanos6

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
it asks for the product key. no it does not ask for an earlier version on windows. i had no previous operating system on my pc because i just got done building it. the windows 7 i got is a upgrade designed for vista and xp but i didnt have either on the system, but windows is running (now as i type). yes it does offer me tech support.

mcastellanos6

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
here's what it says. " the software licensing service determined that this specific product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations". I fugured it out. windows is running because i have 30 days to input the product key.after 30 days it's disabled. so the moral of the story is, research and read the package before you buy it. lol

(1) Do you own a qualifing OS for that computer. if so you are in luck.
(2) If you do not - the Legal think to do is to purchase the full version. Then just use that product Key.

Will look for method to do a "clean" install using a upgrade disk.- it's simple. And add it to this post.

Added:
Method (from one of my prev post)
Do a Clean Install, But DO NOT enter your Key (Apparently you already have)
Goahead and let windows 7 down load critical updates. Then:

Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
Easier - Just do a search for " MediaBootInstall"

Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)

Close RegEdit.

Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.

Me - Just go to program accesories and right click on Dos Prompt and select "open as admiistator"

In the command line window, type: slmgr -rearm

Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.

tiotaitch

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Pop in disk-if given choice, choose upgrade-use key from ANY XP or VISTA sticker. If still not working, call Microsucks on phone, DO NOT TELL them you tried a clean install! Act like you have I.Q. of a broken ashtray - lie and tell them that your XP or Vista was working O.K. before you tried Upgrade!! They will probably get you activated just to get you off the phone!! Good Luck.

area51 - Same same, but without using 50,000 words. (Note microsoft I believe recommends the Registry hack. Have done it several times and it works like a charm. Did the "double" install with vista, prefer reg edit / rearm method - it's cleaner and O SO much quicker.

Tiotaich - No workee, upgrade will only work if (1) has qualifing operating system installed, or (2) You do a custom install

Thanks for that - I too am suitably corrected and updated. It seems what used to apply up to an including Vista, like so many things, no longer does. The part I don't understand is how you can continue with an installation without entering the key but I'll try anything once - twice if I like it. :D.

jitpuplisher & Zoron.
Both are correct. With Vista and Win 7. You need not enter Product key during installation. Excluding using the rearm Cmd, you have 30 days. Using the rearm cmd, Zoron is correct, you have upto 90 days. With Vista & win 7, I normally wait to activate untill after I have downloaded critical updates and have installed most programs, usually I will not activate before 5 days to verify operating system is working, and is stable (ie hardware compatibility) - saves having to re-activate if I need to reinstall.

Win 7 will issue a "Copy is illegal (sometihing to that effect)" which is MISLEADING and can be ignored.