Sign in with
Your question

40" Main TV used as a monitor?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 6, 2011 7:23:58 PM

Hey Guys,

I am planning on build my first ever rig and have only ever used laptops so am not that 'in the know' about monitors.
I currently have 40" Toshiba 40RV753 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-40RV753B-40-inch-Widesc...

This is mainly used as a TV and I use it with my PS3. I was wondering if this TV would be okay to hook up to my new gaming rig and (obviously) play games on?
What would be the difference between this and say a 22" ASUS monitor - https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/22%...

A reply would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

More about : main monitor

a b x TV
a c 108 C Monitor
December 6, 2011 7:30:56 PM

not looking at the specs...i'll assume its 1080p. if its only 720p dont even think about it.

the main difference is how "crisp and clear" things will look. obviously a smaller monitor will be sharper.

i personally use a 40" from about 3.5-4 feet away from where i sit. i'll list a few things i've noted.

movies - works excellent
fps games - overbearing at first but you get used to it. smaller monitors may be better because you dont need to use perepheral vision. things really do feel life sized though.
strategy games - look great
mmo games - look great, text is a little harder to read though. might need to bump up the size in settings.
web browsing - i need to bump up zoom to +5-10% normally but its not bad. bright backgrounds can be hard on your eyes due to the large screen (white is pretty harsh)
office applications - zoom levels need to be up but its doable. if you need to do alot then a smaller monitor is better
cad/graphics/etcetera - doable but a smaller monitor is better.
December 6, 2011 7:36:40 PM

Thanks a lot mate, based on your advice I will probably go with a smaller monitor because I suppose if I'm going through the trouble of building it I may aswell get the best. What do you think of that 22" monitor listed? Any good, its pretty cheap? Is it a big enough size?
Related resources
December 7, 2011 12:37:02 AM

ssddx said:
not looking at the specs...i'll assume its 1080p. if its only 720p dont even think about it.

the main difference is how "crisp and clear" things will look. obviously a smaller monitor will be sharper.

i personally use a 40" from about 3.5-4 feet away from where i sit. i'll list a few things i've noted.

movies - works excellent
fps games - overbearing at first but you get used to it. smaller monitors may be better because you dont need to use perepheral vision. things really do feel life sized though.
strategy games - look great
mmo games - look great, text is a little harder to read though. might need to bump up the size in settings.
web browsing - i need to bump up zoom to +5-10% normally but its not bad. bright backgrounds can be hard on your eyes due to the large screen (white is pretty harsh)
office applications - zoom levels need to be up but its doable. if you need to do alot then a smaller monitor is better
cad/graphics/etcetera - doable but a smaller monitor is better.

This is one of the best answers / replies I have seen in a forum in a long time. Thanks for the detailed yet simple answer.
a b x TV
a c 108 C Monitor
December 7, 2011 2:58:35 PM

@op

not trying to turn you off a large screen television. personally it has worked out GREAT for me. i'm just stating that if you have alot of productive work to do then it might not be the ideal solution.

if you do not want a television then my personal suggestion would be a 22" S-IPS (or H-IPS or P-IPS) lcd monitor. up to you if you want led or ccfl backlighting but keep in mind that some led monitors have a blueish hue. i've heard alot of people recommending dell monitors lately.

@firemedic

there are tons of great replies on this forum provided the op is clear, concise and puts forth some effort.
December 7, 2011 3:03:36 PM

@ssddx what exactly is H-IPS and P-IPS?
Thanks for the reply also :) 
a b x TV
a c 108 C Monitor
December 7, 2011 7:31:27 PM

honestly i'm not entirely sure myself as i've only had s-ips units myself. i've seen it listed as other 8-bit types of ips monitors. the other type, e-ips, is only 6-bit and is of lesser quality but still maintains the wide viewing angle.

as far as speakers go...

if you want computer speakers for a budget price... its hard to beat some of logitechs offerings in terms of value.
December 7, 2011 8:53:10 PM

Okay thanks alot for the advice
!