Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Monitor? Where to go?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 6, 2011 7:28:51 PM

Ok..

Think ill get myself a new gaming monitor for Christmas.. is this a good time to get one or is there about to be a new wave that make one shoot down in value. I know that happens on TVs in Feb

The purpose of the monitor will be gaming.. mainly mmos. Looking to spend no more than $300ish, obviously an LED

What is the best monitor around that for gaming right now?

More about : gaming monitor

December 6, 2011 8:55:03 PM

Hmm... well truth be told there's a lot of really good monitors. Actually too many to list.

For a 24" monitor, right off the top of my head, I'd probably recommend the ML248H. It looks great and has a nice 2 ms response time.

The VX2453mh-LED is also a good choice. Same response time and has 2 HDMI ports.

I recently reviewed the HP 2511x which I really enjoyed. It's a glossy display though but because of that, the colors were awesome.

Anyways, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Andy
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 3:24:20 AM

You can get a dell u2412m for $300 right now.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

LED monitors only really have two advantages, they use less energy and they turn on a bit faster. So don't discount ccfl monitors(which can have better color saturation).

That said the u2412 is LED, and it's also IPS so the colors will look great. Really better then TN panels for MMOs or just about any gaming besides professional level FPSs.
Related resources
December 7, 2011 12:59:08 PM

few things

going from a old 21" Trinitron i got new 10 years ago.. great monitor, but my one problem is that the blacks are not very black.

Wouldnt the LED give you much better contrast and darkness than a CCFL?

also what is everyone's opinion on best size... I figured 24" just cause you cant see everything on a 30" and 21" trinitron being an old CRT has a higher height so the 24" might make up for some of that loss and still be a good size
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 5:31:47 PM

24" is the size where I feel I can just barely see the entire monitor well.

In that sense, at 23" I feel like I can see the entire monitor easily, and it's easier to game. But at 27" some of the monitor slips into my peripheral vision and it becomes more immersive.

I think LED backlighting matches well with tn displays to give deeper blacks, but I wonder if they aren't so good for IPS, where the LCD filter limits the black level.

Theoretically, it doesn't matter what the light source is, the thing blocking the light determines the black level. However, people do seem to say the LEDs give better contrast, so I wonder if it might have something to do with dynamic contrast.
m
l
December 7, 2011 7:59:38 PM

MagicPants said:
24" is the size where I feel I can just barely see the entire monitor well.

In that sense, at 23" I feel like I can see the entire monitor easily, and it's easier to game. But at 27" some of the monitor slips into my peripheral vision and it becomes more immersive.

I think LED backlighting matches well with tn displays to give deeper blacks, but I wonder if they aren't so good for IPS, where the LCD filter limits the black level.

Theoretically, it doesn't matter what the light source is, the thing blocking the light determines the black level. However, people do seem to say the LEDs give better contrast, so I wonder if it might have something to do with dynamic contrast.

i know in TVs.. the LED gets the better contrast because when you need a dark scene, the LED actually switch off giving a true black while the typical bulbs just dim which still produces some lights and thus do not give the same darkness of a LED or a Plasma screen

On TN and IPS.. isnt there another type of display that is also better than both, but ridiculously expensive? also how is PLS displays on samsungs?

also on the Dell.. i like that it is an IPS.. but the response time of 8ms worries me a bit.. wont that be a bit slow for gaming?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 9:33:19 PM

The led switching off it what I mean by "Dynamic Contrast." The thing about dynamic contrast is that it has to dim the entire screen so it's only really good for showing pure black which isn't very exciting. There are few monitors with grid arrays of led backlights, dynamic contrast works a lot better on these (but they cost too much).

As for other types of displays, the only ones I can think of are VA and OLED. VA has darker blacks than TN or IPS, but has a bit of lag, and it's color isn't as good as IPS. If they solved the lag issue, people might prefer VA to IPS. However VA is cheaper than IPS so you're probably not talking about it. Also I hear a lot of complaints about color trailing issues on VA monitors (moving objects have red streaks behind them.)

OLED is great on paper, but it's ridiculously expensive and it has some of the same problems as plasma, namely screen burn. This is probably what you're taking about. Also no one makes OLED monitors yet.

PLS is worse than IPS. It's got slightly lower viewing angles and a lot more backlight bleed.

angry12345 said:
i know in TVs.. the LED gets the better contrast because when you need a dark scene, the LED actually switch off giving a true black while the typical bulbs just dim which still produces some lights and thus do not give the same darkness of a LED or a Plasma screen

On TN and IPS.. isnt there another type of display that is also better than both, but ridiculously expensive? also how is PLS displays on samsungs?

also on the Dell.. i like that it is an IPS.. but the response time of 8ms worries me a bit.. wont that be a bit slow for gaming?

m
l
December 7, 2011 10:05:49 PM

MagicPants said:
The led switching off it what I mean by "Dynamic Contrast." The thing about dynamic contrast is that it has to dim the entire screen so it's only really good for showing pure black which isn't very exciting. There are few monitors with grid arrays of led backlights, dynamic contrast works a lot better on these (but they cost too much).

As for other types of displays, the only ones I can think of are VA and OLED. VA has darker blacks than TN or IPS, but has a bit of lag, and it's color isn't as good as IPS. If they solved the lag issue, people might prefer VA to IPS. However VA is cheaper than IPS so you're probably not talking about it. Also I hear a lot of complaints about color trailing issues on VA monitors (moving objects have red streaks behind them.)

OLED is great on paper, but it's ridiculously expensive and it has some of the same problems as plasma, namely screen burn. This is probably what you're taking about. Also no one makes OLED monitors yet.

PLS is worse than IPS. It's got slightly lower viewing angles and a lot more backlight bleed.

yea it ws OLED i was thinking of

that dell you mentioned.. is that a 8 ms gray to gray or 8 ms full black to white..

Any opinions on LG IPS23IP-BN or Asus ML239H? i hear about the bleeding on the Asus in an actual game is it that noticeable?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2011 10:27:45 PM

Oh sorry, I forgot to talk about gray to gray. All response times are listed g2g. Black to White response times are always much higher than there's less of a difference between IPS and TN.

Response time has more to do with how much blur you see in the monitor than how responsive it is. Input lag measures that.

For response time, most people tend to think that anything under 8ms isn't an issue. 8 to 16ms is an issue, but it's not horrid. Anything over 16ms is bad. (for reference I think most black to white response times are closer to 25ms)

If you really want to know what response time does, try grabbing this window and slowly pull it around the screen while trying to read the text. The faster the response time, the less it will blur.
m
l
December 8, 2011 4:14:08 PM

MagicPants said:
Oh sorry, I forgot to talk about gray to gray. All response times are listed g2g. Black to White response times are always much higher than there's less of a difference between IPS and TN.

Response time has more to do with how much blur you see in the monitor than how responsive it is. Input lag measures that.

For response time, most people tend to think that anything under 8ms isn't an issue. 8 to 16ms is an issue, but it's not horrid. Anything over 16ms is bad. (for reference I think most black to white response times are closer to 25ms)

If you really want to know what response time does, try grabbing this window and slowly pull it around the screen while trying to read the text. The faster the response time, the less it will blur.

I suppose I am down to (also open to any 23-24 others)

which do i go since i only play mmos

Dell U2412M 24 inch IPS but has 8 ms

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

Asus ML239H 24 inch IPS with 5 ms but known backlit bleed:<

or a TN

Asus VS248H-P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus ML248H

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

glossy or matte?
m
l
December 8, 2011 5:09:36 PM

Best answer selected by angry12345.
m
l
December 8, 2011 5:14:07 PM

went with the Dell..

i should point out.. Dell is not doing the deal anymore:< back up to $399, but did get them to take off $75 and give 2 day shipping so $350 for 2 day shipping (tax cause they have a location in Texas).. could be worse

THERE IS a guy selling on eBay for $299 and claims to be a electronics place with free shipping with 10 left and great feedback
m
l
!