Inspiron 5150 shuts itself down

Hello to all. I have an I5150 that I've had since September 2003 with no
problems. I have noticed lately that it has been shutting down after 15 or
20 minutes of sitting idle. I am really not sure if it's been doing this
all along or if it's just that I recently noticed it. Anyway, I checked ALL
the power profiles, disabled Speedswitch XP completely, and have it set to
"Home Office" and "Never" in all the drop boxes. I recall reading some time
ago about a BIOS flash to fix this. Does anyone know about this problem?

I'm not a novice so I've already been through the most obvious fixes with
no luck. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and best regards,
Morey G

I5150 P4 3.08GHz
1GB RAM TrueMobile 1300 Internal NIC
ATI 64MB Graphics CDRW/DVD Combo
UXGA Screen

Could heat possibly be the issue? 3GHz + 1GB of RAM generates a lot of heat.
Try running the system with 512MB to see what happens... Ben Myers

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:13:43 GMT, "Morey G." <mgottesman@nospam.frontiernet.net>
wrote:

>Hello to all. I have an I5150 that I've had since September 2003 with no
>problems. I have noticed lately that it has been shutting down after 15 or
>20 minutes of sitting idle. I am really not sure if it's been doing this
>all along or if it's just that I recently noticed it. Anyway, I checked ALL
>the power profiles, disabled Speedswitch XP completely, and have it set to
>"Home Office" and "Never" in all the drop boxes. I recall reading some time
>ago about a BIOS flash to fix this. Does anyone know about this problem?
>
>I'm not a novice so I've already been through the most obvious fixes with
>no luck. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance and best regards,
>Morey G
>
>I5150 P4 3.08GHz
>1GB RAM TrueMobile 1300 Internal NIC
>ATI 64MB Graphics CDRW/DVD Combo
>UXGA Screen

Ben,
Thanks for the prompt response. After doing a bit of hunting, it seems that
you are 100% correct. Not only does the combo of RAM & CPU generate heat,
apparently the 5000 series has a special ability to trap TONS of dust in
the air intake and reduce the cooling ability. The shutdowns just about
coincide with my RAM upgrade so again, you hit the nail on the head! I am
going to blow out the air intake with some compressed air and see if that
solves the problem, then try the reduction in RAM if needed.
Seems to me someone should have stuck a bigger fan in this beast...
Again, thanks!

Morey