Can't play Hexic

Hi

I just discovered zone.com for the first time, after being told to try
Hexic. I found the game easily enough, but when I try to play it, I get the
message 'Downloading and installing latest version. Installation in
progress. Once installation is complete, you will be taken to Hexic.'
followed by 'Sorry, we were unable to install your game. Follow the
instructions below. If you still have difficulties, click here to try to
install again.' However, there are no instructions below, just a note that I
must click Install if a security warning pops up (it doesn't).

If I click to try again, it doesn't help, I just get the same message, plus
a 'click here for more help' link (which isn't very helpful - it tells me to
do things like delete cookies, empty the cache, and ensure that JavaScript
is enabled, but I've done all that).

I don't see why it's not working, I haven't changed *any* browser settings
from their defaults, it's just a fresh install of Firefox.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris
14 answers Last reply
More about play hexic
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Chris Mahoney wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I just discovered zone.com for the first time, after being told to try
    > Hexic. I found the game easily enough, but when I try to play it, I get the
    > message 'Downloading and installing latest version. Installation in
    > progress. Once installation is complete, you will be taken to Hexic.'
    > followed by 'Sorry, we were unable to install your game. Follow the
    > instructions below. If you still have difficulties, click here to try to
    > install again.' However, there are no instructions below, just a note that I
    > must click Install if a security warning pops up (it doesn't).
    >
    > If I click to try again, it doesn't help, I just get the same message, plus
    > a 'click here for more help' link (which isn't very helpful - it tells me to
    > do things like delete cookies, empty the cache, and ensure that JavaScript
    > is enabled, but I've done all that).
    >
    > I don't see why it's not working, I haven't changed *any* browser settings
    > from their defaults, it's just a fresh install of Firefox.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris

    If it's a Java or Shockwave install problem, try this site:

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/MultiPlayer.html#java

    If you're having problems installing the ActiveX controls needed for
    Zone access:

    Open Internet Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, click
    View Objects. There are three Zone ActiveX objects listed, or there
    should be. The names are:

    HeartbeatCtl Class
    ZoneAxRcMgr Class
    ZoneIntro Class

    Right-click each one, click Properties, and make sure each is not listed
    as Damaged. If they're each OK, right-click ZoneIntro Class, and click
    Update. That's the one that was updated this week.

    Also look at these sites:

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd
    http://zonesysops.com/clips/heartbeat.html

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

    Hi

    It looks like it's a Shockwave problem, as the games on shockwave.com don't
    work either, and neither does the Shockwave tester on Macromedia's site
    (http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/). I'll find a Shockwave group
    and ask there.

    Thanks
    Chris

    > If it's a Java or Shockwave install problem, try this site:
    >
    > http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/MultiPlayer.html#java
    >
    > If you're having problems installing the ActiveX controls needed for
    > Zone access:
    >
    > Open Internet Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, click
    > View Objects. There are three Zone ActiveX objects listed, or there
    > should be. The names are:
    >
    > HeartbeatCtl Class
    > ZoneAxRcMgr Class
    > ZoneIntro Class
    >
    > Right-click each one, click Properties, and make sure each is not listed
    > as Damaged. If they're each OK, right-click ZoneIntro Class, and click
    > Update. That's the one that was updated this week.
    >
    > Also look at these sites:
    >
    > http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd
    > http://zonesysops.com/clips/heartbeat.html
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Just as a followup to this, I uninstalled and reinstalled Shockwave, and now
    Macromedia's tester works (as do the games on shockwave.com). However, I'm
    still getting the same error when I try to play games on zone.com.

    I know that Java's installed and working, as I have used it several times in
    the past, and have never had any problems with it.

    You've lost me here:

    >> If you're having problems installing the ActiveX controls needed for
    >> Zone access:
    >>
    >> Open Internet Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, click
    >> View Objects. There are three Zone ActiveX objects listed, or there
    >> should be. The names are:
    etc.

    Where is Internet Properties?

    Thanks
    Chris

    On 30/11/04 9:57 AM, in article BDD1F484.D8%chris@nzweb.net, "Chris Mahoney"
    <chris@nzweb.net> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > It looks like it's a Shockwave problem, as the games on shockwave.com don't
    > work either, and neither does the Shockwave tester on Macromedia's site
    > (http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/). I'll find a Shockwave group
    > and ask there.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris
    >

    >> If it's a Java or Shockwave install problem, try this site:
    >>
    >> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/MultiPlayer.html#java
    >>
    >> If you're having problems installing the ActiveX controls needed for
    >> Zone access:
    >>
    >> Open Internet Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, click
    >> View Objects. There are three Zone ActiveX objects listed, or there
    >> should be. The names are:
    >>
    >> HeartbeatCtl Class
    >> ZoneAxRcMgr Class
    >> ZoneIntro Class
    >>
    >> Right-click each one, click Properties, and make sure each is not listed
    >> as Damaged. If they're each OK, right-click ZoneIntro Class, and click
    >> Update. That's the one that was updated this week.
    >>
    >> Also look at these sites:
    >>
    >> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd
    >> http://zonesysops.com/clips/heartbeat.html

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Chris Mahoney wrote:

    > Just as a followup to this, I uninstalled and reinstalled Shockwave, and now
    > Macromedia's tester works (as do the games on shockwave.com). However, I'm
    > still getting the same error when I try to play games on zone.com.
    >
    > I know that Java's installed and working, as I have used it several times in
    > the past, and have never had any problems with it.
    >
    > You've lost me here:
    >
    > >> If you're having problems installing the ActiveX controls needed for
    > >> Zone access:
    > >>
    > >> Open Internet Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, click
    > >> View Objects. There are three Zone ActiveX objects listed, or there
    > >> should be. The names are:
    > etc.
    >
    > Where is Internet Properties?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris
    >
    > On 30/11/04 9:57 AM, in article BDD1F484.D8%chris@nzweb.net, "Chris Mahoney"
    > <chris@nzweb.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > It looks like it's a Shockwave problem, as the games on shockwave.com don't
    > > work either, and neither does the Shockwave tester on Macromedia's site
    > > (http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/). I'll find a Shockwave group
    > > and ask there.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Chris
    > >

    > >> If it's a Java or Shockwave install problem, try this site:
    > >>
    > >> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/MultiPlayer.html#java
    > >>
    > >> If you're having problems installing the ActiveX controls needed for
    > >> Zone access:
    > >>
    > >> Open Internet Properties, click the General tab, click Settings, click
    > >> View Objects. There are three Zone ActiveX objects listed, or there
    > >> should be. The names are:
    > >>
    > >> HeartbeatCtl Class
    > >> ZoneAxRcMgr Class
    > >> ZoneIntro Class
    > >>
    > >> Right-click each one, click Properties, and make sure each is not listed
    > >> as Damaged. If they're each OK, right-click ZoneIntro Class, and click
    > >> Update. That's the one that was updated this week.
    > >>
    > >> Also look at these sites:
    > >>
    > >> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd
    > >> http://zonesysops.com/clips/heartbeat.html

    Here are a few ways to get to Internet Properties:

    - Open Control Panel, open Internet Properties.
    - Right-click the IE icon on the desktop, click Properties.
    - In IE, click Tools, Internet Options.

    +Elmo_Tech
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    So Internet Properties is part of IE? As I mentioned in my first message,
    I'm using Firefox, not IE, so presumably I should instead be looking for
    Firefox's equivalent.

    However, I can't find anything regarding Objects or ActiveX in Firefox. I
    found Extensions, which it says are 'small add-ons that add new
    functionality to Firefox.' Is that what I'm looking for? There are no
    extensions currently installed.

    Chris

    > Here are a few ways to get to Internet Properties:
    >
    > - Open Control Panel, open Internet Properties.
    > - Right-click the IE icon on the desktop, click Properties.
    > - In IE, click Tools, Internet Options.
    >
    > +Elmo_Tech
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Chris Mahoney wrote:

    > So Internet Properties is part of IE? As I mentioned in my first message,
    > I'm using Firefox, not IE, so presumably I should instead be looking for
    > Firefox's equivalent.
    >
    > However, I can't find anything regarding Objects or ActiveX in Firefox. I
    > found Extensions, which it says are 'small add-ons that add new
    > functionality to Firefox.' Is that what I'm looking for? There are no
    > extensions currently installed.
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > > Here are a few ways to get to Internet Properties:
    > >
    > > - Open Control Panel, open Internet Properties.
    > > - Right-click the IE icon on the desktop, click Properties.
    > > - In IE, click Tools, Internet Options.
    > >
    > > +Elmo_Tech

    So, you haven't been entering the Zone rooms, just accessing the
    single-player games? In that case, you won't need ActiveX; I mentioned
    that if you were having trouble entering gamerooms (or, at least, it was
    my intention to mention entering rooms), ActiveX could have been the
    problem. But I doubt it is now.

    If you have Sun Java installed, it should have an applet in the Control
    Panel. Maybe there's an option in there that will get it working again.

    As an aside, most of the same games are available from their original
    makers, and other sources.. http://www.popcap.com has many of the
    games. Also try http://www.Gamehouse.com

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    You will likely not be able to play zone games that require ActiveX using
    Firefox (unless someone manages to make an Extension that correctly mimics
    it). Firefox does not support ActiveX which is a required part of the
    installation (just tried it myself to double-check). This is unlikely to
    change, as ActiveX is a Microsoft implementation not supported on other
    browsers.

    I can only suggest that if you really want to play Hexic, you use IE for
    that purpose.

    "Chris Mahoney" <chris@nzweb.net> wrote in message
    So Internet Properties is part of IE? As I mentioned in my first message,
    I'm using Firefox, not IE, so presumably I should instead be looking for
    Firefox's equivalent.

    However, I can't find anything regarding Objects or ActiveX in Firefox. I
    found Extensions, which it says are 'small add-ons that add new
    functionality to Firefox.' Is that what I'm looking for? There are no
    extensions currently installed.

    Chris

    > Here are a few ways to get to Internet Properties:
    >
    > - Open Control Panel, open Internet Properties.
    > - Right-click the IE icon on the desktop, click Properties.
    > - In IE, click Tools, Internet Options.
    >
    > +Elmo_Tech
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    OK, I just tried IE, and I'm having exactly the same problem. All the
    settings should be on their defaults - this is the first time I've ever used
    IE on this computer.

    I can't find any mention of ActiveX anywhere in IE. I thought maybe I have
    an old version, but I just checked on the Microsoft site, and I have the
    latest version.

    Any more ideas?

    Thanks
    Chris

    On 1/12/04 2:47 AM, in article uZL5VMu1EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl, "Buzz"
    <buzz.at.infidelus.dot.com> wrote:

    > You will likely not be able to play zone games that require ActiveX using
    > Firefox (unless someone manages to make an Extension that correctly mimics
    > it). Firefox does not support ActiveX which is a required part of the
    > installation (just tried it myself to double-check). This is unlikely to
    > change, as ActiveX is a Microsoft implementation not supported on other
    > browsers.
    >
    > I can only suggest that if you really want to play Hexic, you use IE for
    > that purpose.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Chris Mahoney wrote:

    > OK, I just tried IE, and I'm having exactly the same problem. All the
    > settings should be on their defaults - this is the first time I've ever used
    > IE on this computer.
    >
    > I can't find any mention of ActiveX anywhere in IE. I thought maybe I have
    > an old version, but I just checked on the Microsoft site, and I have the
    > latest version.
    >
    > Any more ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chris
    >
    > On 1/12/04 2:47 AM, in article uZL5VMu1EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl, "Buzz"
    > <buzz.at.infidelus.dot.com> wrote:
    >
    > > You will likely not be able to play zone games that require ActiveX using
    > > Firefox (unless someone manages to make an Extension that correctly mimics
    > > it). Firefox does not support ActiveX which is a required part of the
    > > installation (just tried it myself to double-check). This is unlikely to
    > > change, as ActiveX is a Microsoft implementation not supported on other
    > > browsers.
    > >
    > > I can only suggest that if you really want to play Hexic, you use IE for
    > > that purpose.

    ActiveX might not be mentioned, but the directions to the components is
    accurate. Do you have the three Zone components I mentioned? You won't
    get them installed unless you enter a multiplayer room. If you don't
    want to do that, that's OK. As I stated before, I doubt that's your
    problem with the single-player games, which use Java, and Shockwave
    Flash.

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    I haven't been into a multiplayer room, so I can only assume that I don't
    have the ActiveX components. To be honest, I still can't figure out where to
    look - Internet Options is not in IE's Tools menu, I don't have IE on the
    desktop, and I can't find a Control Panel anywhere.

    I did find Preferences in the Explorer menu, but there's no General page
    (well actually there is, but it only applies to email).

    Anyway, you say that ActiveX isn't the problem with single-player games. I
    tried a few other single-player games too, and none of them work either. I'm
    just about ready to give up, but hopefully someone will figure out what's
    going wrong :)

    Thanks
    Chris

    > ActiveX might not be mentioned, but the directions to the components is
    > accurate. Do you have the three Zone components I mentioned? You won't
    > get them installed unless you enter a multiplayer room. If you don't
    > want to do that, that's OK. As I stated before, I doubt that's your
    > problem with the single-player games, which use Java, and Shockwave
    > Flash.

    > > Here are a few ways to get to Internet Properties:
    > >
    > > - Open Control Panel, open Internet Properties.
    > > - Right-click the IE icon on the desktop, click Properties.
    > > - In IE, click Tools, Internet Options.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Chris Mahoney wrote:

    > I haven't been into a multiplayer room, so I can only assume that I don't
    > have the ActiveX components. To be honest, I still can't figure out where to
    > look - Internet Options is not in IE's Tools menu, I don't have IE on the
    > desktop, and I can't find a Control Panel anywhere.

    To get to the Control Panel, click Start, Settings, Control Panel. With
    XP, I believe you see the Control Panel listed in the upper right when
    you click the Start button.

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    You mention XP, do you mean Windows XP? Is Control Panel part of Windows?
    I'm using Mac OS X, not Windows. I don't understand why you'd need to fiddle
    with system settings to get a website working - I've never run into any
    other sites (including online game sites) that require you to do this. Or am
    I just interpreting your message incorrectly - is the Control Panel
    somewhere in IE? I can't find a 'Start' to click on in there though.

    Chris

    On 1/12/04 4:54 PM, in article 41AD4063.C3C4B34E@iglou.invalid, "+Elmo_Tech"
    <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote:

    > Chris Mahoney wrote:
    >>
    >> I haven't been into a multiplayer room, so I can only assume that I don't
    >> have the ActiveX components. To be honest, I still can't figure out where to
    >> look - Internet Options is not in IE's Tools menu, I don't have IE on the
    >> desktop, and I can't find a Control Panel anywhere.
    >
    > To get to the Control Panel, click Start, Settings, Control Panel. With
    > XP, I believe you see the Control Panel listed in the upper right when
    > you click the Start button.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Chris Mahoney wrote:

    > You mention XP, do you mean Windows XP? Is Control Panel part of Windows?
    > I'm using Mac OS X, not Windows. I don't understand why you'd need to fiddle
    > with system settings to get a website working - I've never run into any
    > other sites (including online game sites) that require you to do this. Or am
    > I just interpreting your message incorrectly - is the Control Panel
    > somewhere in IE? I can't find a 'Start' to click on in there though.
    >
    > Chris

    The Zone works with Windows operating systems. You might be able to run
    other Java games, but the ones accessed through the Zone tend to also
    need Shockwave Flash.

    --

    +Elmo_Tech
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    > but the ones accessed through the Zone tend to also
    > need Shockwave Flash.

    Which is also installed on my system (both Shockwave Player and Flash
    Player, which, according to Macromedia's test page, are working properly
    from both IE and Firefox).

    How can a website be OS-dependent? I can understand that different browsers
    will treat code differently, but in this case I'm using the same browser.

Games Video Games