Dell Precision 220 CPU Question

Hi,

I have a 733/256/133/165v Pentium III CPU in slot 1 and I'm interested
in changing to dual CPU for graphics processing.

I've seen a number of the same spec Slot 1 CPUs for sale but I'm not
sure if this can be used in the empty slot. Can someone shed some
light on what I would need to look for.

cheers,
E.
3 answers Last reply
More about dell precision question

    B. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 733/256/133/165v Pentium III CPU in slot 1 and I'm interested
    > in changing to dual CPU for graphics processing.
    >
    > I've seen a number of the same spec Slot 1 CPUs for sale but I'm not
    > sure if this can be used in the empty slot. Can someone shed some
    > light on what I would need to look for.
    >
    > cheers,
    > E.

    The specifications for the Dell Precision 220 says that it
    will support 2 processors. Ideally, the 2 processors should
    have the same sSpec#. For more information, download the
    Intel Pentium III Processor Specification Update from Intel;
    try starting at support.intel.com.

    What OS? Windows NT, 2000 and XP support multi-processing.
    A clean install is preferable although there may be utilities
    allowing to move from single CPU to dual CPU in the particular
    OS's resource kit.

    How much RAM is alreay installed? Adding more RAM would be
    beneficial in addition to dual-CPU's. Remember that adding
    a second CPU does not double the speed...just the efficiency
    for an application that is programmed to exploit it.

    Thank for the info. It turned out be be more cost efficient to buy 2
    matched processors with my spec in the end but I do have another
    question on the VRM module needed.

    I have found out that this should be Dell Voltage Regulator Module
    7649D for the precision 220, which from investigation is listed as VRM
    8.4.

    Would other computer VRM boards listed as VRM 8.4 be a direct
    replacement (ie. is VRM 8.4 standard in terms of pin outs,
    voltage/current levels).

    N.B I have XP and 512M Memeory

    B. wrote:
    > Thank for the info. It turned out be be more cost efficient to buy 2
    > matched processors with my spec in the end but I do have another
    > question on the VRM module needed.
    >
    > I have found out that this should be Dell Voltage Regulator Module
    > 7649D for the precision 220, which from investigation is listed as VRM
    > 8.4.
    >
    > Would other computer VRM boards listed as VRM 8.4 be a direct
    > replacement (ie. is VRM 8.4 standard in terms of pin outs,
    > voltage/current levels).
    >

    > N.B I have XP and 512M Memeory

    To be on the same side, I would use the VRM that is
    supplied by the motherboard maker.

Dell CPUs Computers