Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 where to get?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 19, 2012 4:11:54 AM

Ok so I asked before, but not sure I really got an answer. Trying to find Windows 7 on a student discount, which is damn near impossible. I could go through dreamspark, but have no idea where at my university to go to to get a login ID. I am building a gaming rig, so it has to be stable for gaming and the like. Also not being limited 16b RAM would be great here, although games wont need anything near 16gb RAM anytime soon, its nice to have the option. Seeing as I have hit so many roadblocks, what option should I go with?

1. Windows 7 Home Premium OEM ($89)
2. Windows 7 Pro OEM ($130+)
3. Windows 7 Pro Full ($255+)
4. Windows 8 Pro upgrade (can do full install) ($39)

or if you DO know a way I can get windows 7 pro at student discount without the retarded Dreamspark premium BS, let me know.

More about : windows

December 19, 2012 4:37:21 AM

It kind of depends on what you plan for the future. I think you should cross windows 8 out completely for the moment. It's good to wait quite a while and let all the companies catch up. A year, maybe two and let drivers stabilize.

If you plan on upgrading your motherboard, id go for a non-OEM version. Also OEM versions don't come with support and they are tied to the very first computer you install it on. If you plan on using your purchase on any other rig, i'd go with non-OEM.

Make sure you get 64bit, or else your won't be able to use more than 4gb of ram.

There is also an alternative, but it is not traditional.
PM me if you're interested.
m
l
December 19, 2012 4:37:44 AM

Unless you can buy a copy of windows from your college/university like my friend did you won't get a "STUDENT" discount.. outta the options, I'd go with Windows 7 Home Premium OEM .. Since your going to be using it for a gaming PC and don't need all that extra junk. and Windows 8 isn't made for the gamers PC sadly so. Hope this helps!
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2012 9:38:53 PM

Ok so the professor who is the "admin" of my school's MSDNAA (Dreamspark) program apparently wont give me the time of day until after the School winter break, which kind of defeats the point of having a gaming pc DURING a break. I am not so anxious to pc game nonstop when I am getting schoolwork *** all over me by professors.

Ok so should I just say f**k it and get windows 8 for 40 bucks and somehow figure a way to get around Metro UI and games crashing from lack of support?

I guess I could also shell out 89 bucks for windows 7 home OEM and hope to hell I never have to change out my mobo or go over 16gb of RAM.

For some people it may just be as easy as waiting for break to be over, but its one of the few times of the year I have free time to game nonstop. This something I cannot do during semester as I will be trying to maintain a 3.9 GPA. :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2012 9:48:27 PM

gamerlana said:
Ok so I asked before, but not sure I really got an answer. Trying to find Windows 7 on a student discount, which is damn near impossible. I could go through dreamspark, but have no idea where at my university to go to to get a login ID. I am building a gaming rig, so it has to be stable for gaming and the like. Also not being limited 16b RAM would be great here, although games wont need anything near 16gb RAM anytime soon, its nice to have the option. Seeing as I have hit so many roadblocks, what option should I go with?

1. Windows 7 Home Premium OEM ($89)
2. Windows 7 Pro OEM ($130+)
3. Windows 7 Pro Full ($255+)
4. Windows 8 Pro upgrade (can do full install) ($39)

or if you DO know a way I can get windows 7 pro at student discount without the retarded Dreamspark premium BS, let me know.

With Dreamspark, the requirements to get access are typically that you have to provide proof that you are an existing college student and are able to have this verified.

This is the info from their site:
How do I verify my student status?
Your student status will be verified when you create an account. First, you’ll be prompted to verify your status by selecting your school from our drop down menu. If your school is not listed, you can still verify your student status through your ISIC card, or other student identity providers. If you are still having trouble getting verified, please contact us.

The easiest way is if you have a school email address (i.e. yourname@school.edu or something like that) they can usually verifiy it within one business day.
m
l
December 20, 2012 9:56:46 PM

What are your PC specs? and Btw once you have a copy of windows 7. You can just get your Keys from Microsoft if you ever need to re-install and your key doesn't work
m
l
December 20, 2012 10:00:08 PM

hedwar2011 said:
With Dreamspark, the requirements to get access are typically that you have to provide proof that you are an existing college student and are able to have this verified.

This is the info from their site:
How do I verify my student status?
Your student status will be verified when you create an account. First, you’ll be prompted to verify your status by selecting your school from our drop down menu. If your school is not listed, you can still verify your student status through your ISIC card, or other student identity providers. If you are still having trouble getting verified, please contact us.

The easiest way is if you have a school email address (i.e. yourname@school.edu or something like that) they can usually verifiy it within one business day.

The problem is that this needs to be Dreamspark Premium, something that a school apparently subscribes to. Otherwise all you get is access to Windows server software and the like.

This page has what you get with the Dreamspark basic (which is very easy to get access to): https://www.dreamspark.com/student/Software-Catalog.asp...

Dreamspark premium however: "Requires a separate account created by your school administrator. If you do not have an account, you will be able to request one through the WebStore"

My school's admin doesn't give two shits as it is the holiday break atm, and I can "get back to him" after the break. Which defeats the whole point of building a gaming pc DURING the break.

Quote:
What are your PC specs? and Btw once you have a copy of windows 7. You can just get your Keys from Microsoft if you ever need to re-install and your key doesn't work

The build I am doing will be:
i5 3570k
8gb gskill sniper ddr3 1600
ASRock z77 extreme4
Gigabyte gtx 670 Windforce
Corsair TX650 v2 PSU
CM HAF XM case
m
l
December 21, 2012 8:14:52 PM

Hmm I guess no one has any further input on this.

Is there some way I can use a windows 8 pro upgrade key to activate windows 7?

or perhaps I could go windows 8 in the meantime and just downgrade to windows 7 when I get access to my schools dreamspark premium program?

Also, I guess I could see if there is a windows 7 trail or something.

Hell I don't know anymore, someone help me out here. I just need a OS for my build :( 
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 8:19:55 PM

gamerlana said:
....Is there some way I can use a windows 8 pro upgrade key to activate windows 7?

No

Quote:
or perhaps I could go windows 8 in the meantime and just downgrade to windows 7 when I get access to my schools dreamspark premium program?

I fail to see the logic in that

Quote:

You have 30 days to activate an installation.
December 21, 2012 8:33:55 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
No

Quote:

I fail to see the logic in that

Quote:

You have 30 days to activate an installation.

Oh so if I can get ahold of a windows 7 pro ISO, install it now, and then when I do get back to school (which is within 30 days) and get access to dreakspark premium I can just activate it then? Is this accurate?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 8:48:40 PM

gamerlana said:
Oh so if I can get ahold of a windows 7 pro ISO, install it now, and then when I do get back to school (which is within 30 days) and get access to dreakspark premium I can just activate it then? Is this accurate?

Yes, because you have a 30 day activation window for any Microsoft product except for Office. There are other alternatives to this but we (Tom's Hardware) cannot advise or direct you to such things as it is against forum policies to do so. :sol: 
m
l
December 21, 2012 9:03:39 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Yes, because you have a 30 day activation window for any Microsoft product except for Office. There are other alternatives to this but we (Tom's Hardware) cannot advise or direct you to such things as it is against forum policies to do so. :sol: 

Hmm yes I see what you mean ;)  Does this mean you cannot provide a link to download windows 7 pro 64bit iso? If you have a link and can provide it, that would be awesome.
m
l
December 21, 2012 9:15:51 PM

As he said. We can not for the record give you or help you in any way of form of piracy of software
m
l
December 21, 2012 9:17:12 PM

Hmm yes, because somehow an ISO is piracy......yeah.... lol
m
l
December 21, 2012 9:17:41 PM

Best answer selected by gamerlana.
m
l
!