JabberJaw

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
I’m on the cusp of buying a new PC sometime within the next month or so. However, after reading about Intel’s future plans about making dual-core cpus the norm by the end of 2006, I’m no longer certain if this is the right time to invest $2-3 thousand dollars on a new PC.

I had planned on buying an AMD 64 FX-based PC with all the trimmings. Unfortunately, while I was researching the components that I want in my new PC I kept coming across articles trumpeting Dual-Core Cpus as the future. It’s all Dual-Core this, and Dual-Core that.

Should I wait to buy a new PC until Dual-Core cpus are on the market? Are we on the verge of some breathtaking technological breakthrough that will quickly render the new PC I intend to buy as obsolete?

I’m not wealthy, and I can generally only afford to buy a new PC every 3-4 years or so. I usually save my money and go high-end when I do buy a new PC. Therefore, I’d hate to spend big bucks only to have the PC of my dreams be rendered thoroughly obsolete on every level just a few months or so after I buy it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We're always on the verge of breakthrough. Sometimes I'll advise to wait based on the availability of some great part without the proper support of other parts, but as it turns out now is a GREAT time to buy.

AMD says Socket 939 will support current single core processors as well as future dual-core units. So what do you loose by buying now, a couple hundred dollars for the CPU upgrade?

I seriously doubt you'll see any significant performance gains from dual-cores for at least a year. Athlon 64's are top performers right now and a current great CPU will still be a good CPU in a year. If you're concerned about upgradability you can get a PCI-Express board for the Athlon 64 as well. And 64-bit instructions are already supported, so it looks like today's A64 will be fit for the forseeable future.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Dual core (be it by intel or Amd) may do something for you, but more likely not. If you are thinking for gaming, it will be a net loss. If you are thinking general aplications, net loss as well.
The reason Amd is bringing out dual core for servers, and workstations first, is because that's where it will do the most good. Any program that can utilize dual chips, will work well with dual core. For most, it means nothing.
If you tell us what you use your computer for, we can tell you how important dual core will be for you.
Personally I will take a pass on dual core for at least a year.
It does have one backhanded advantage for you. While intel, and Amd are working on dual core, it makes single core chips last longer. The fastest chips today, will be very near the top in a year. Now would be a good time to buy.

G

It does have one backhanded advantage for you. While intel, and Amd are working on dual core, it makes single core chips last longer. The fastest chips today, will be very near the top in a year. Now would be a good time to buy.
Hey, that's a damn fine point right there... :evil:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

JabberJaw

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
Thanks for the replies!

Endyen, this system will be mostly for fun & games. I’m not much of a “multitasker”, unless playing Winamp while surfing the web qualifies as multitasking. With that in mind, I doubt that I’ll really enjoy the full benefits of a dual-core cpu, even long after they do become the norm.

Crashman, thanks for the mobo heads-up. I’ll definitely play it safe and purchase a mobo that I *hope* will be forward compatible. I just hope that AMD isn’t pulling our chains with their promise that most Socket 939’s will be able to support their future dual-core cpu via a BIOS upgrade. I guess we won’t really know for sure until AMD finally brings their dual-core to market.

Again, thanks for the advice :)