Getting this cpu

evulboo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
AMD Athlon 64 4000 Clawhammer 130nm (Socket 939)

Will be getting this cpu but what mobo should i get to go with it and what ram, this is a project of mine and will be building it up slowly

Im not going SLi as i dont think it will help me much for gaming, on that note can u recommend a great gfx card, great hdd (+ hdd setup maybe raid or whatever best) only need standard cd drives as i can do all my burning on other pc.

so to sum it up what im looking for are as follows:

Mobo
Gfx card
Hdd (or 2)
and a 19" monitor

ta in advance

If u do things right.... People won't be sure you've done anything at all......

sturm

Splendid
Why not the 90nm cpu?
As far as motherboard I have read that MSI Neo4 Platinum is getting good marks. It will give you like 4 sata connections plus the normal 4 ide connections and PCIe graphics.
I have the Neo2 Platinum - AGP graphics- Havent had any problems.
If you want speed go for the WD Raptor drives. If you want storage get like a 200 gig for the OS and other stuff and then get 2 250gig sata drives and run them in a Raid 0.
I did just that and my sata drives are running at about 117 mb/s compared to about 50 mb/s on the ide drive.
Graphics depends on how much you have to spend, how much eye candy you want to run, and how high a resolution you want to run the games at.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
i don't think clawhammers come in 90nm... o_O, you seem pretty highend with that cpu, make sure you getting good cooling =D, i agree to the neo4, great board. also, for you to really use yoru cpu, you need a pretty high end gfx card too. keep in mind, if you are taking money out of a gfx card and putting it in cpu, there is something wrong. make sure you have a card like the x850xt on the neo4

<font color=red>One Lowe</font color=red>

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
If u wanna wait rumour has it the new FX55 on 90nm will be hitting the streets soon with an improved mem controller and SSE3. If your gonna spend that muhc money might as well get the best.

How much do you have to spend right now? How long are you going to tkae to do this upgrade? With the money that you'll spend on these parts, if you can't use them immediately, then you're wasting money! If you buy the 4000+, but can't use it for couple of months, then you wasted money because the price will drop by them time that you get all the parts. Do yourself a favor - figure out what you want to buy, save up how much you need and buy it all at the same time - it's what I'm doing right now! JMHO

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
but I don't see the point in paying the extra cash for the FX when it's mainly for the cache, no? The price point on that one seems to exceed the performance.
Just my opinion, don't shoot me :)

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.

G

Not to mention that you won't end up like Eden and I, having awesome components staring at you all night, but not being able to do anything with them (except drool every so often) :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

evulboo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
ta guys, what i think i will do is save up enough cash to buy the cpu, hdd(s), ram, gfx and mobo

my list so far please correct me if it needs a change

AMD Athlon 64 4000 Clawhammer 130nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-098-AM) (CP-098-AM)
OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Asus ATI Radeon ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM

You're going to need a top-notch PSU to run that system. What do you have right now?

evulboo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
not picked a psu or case yet, thats a point anyone recommend me a case thats fairly tall as i want enough room inside to hide wires and have a nice airflow

The <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-141&depa=0" target="_new">Antec P160</A> looks to be a really nice case. There was a recent <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2346" target="_new">Anandtech P160 review</A>. The <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0" target="_new">Fortron Blue Storm 500W</A> would be a good PSU to match the case.

G

I agree with Rugger, that Blue Storm is supposed to be a great psu for low cost :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Enthusiast </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>