Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help me resizing my hard drive...

Last response: in Windows 7
December 19, 2012 9:19:19 AM

I have a 1TB harddisk i have partitioned it into 3 drives 250gb(c drive), 250gb(d drive), 500gb(e drive). Now i want to shrink my c drive to 75gb and allocate the remaining space(175gb) to e drive. I've searched all over the internet but could'nt get the answer.... pls solve my query... :( 

More about : resizing hard drive

a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 9:25:19 AM

use disk management in windows 7 to resize the partitions

can take a while if you have data on them
m
l
December 19, 2012 9:35:07 AM

can you provide me a video tutorial? and anything other than disk management?
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2012 11:00:30 AM

you cant do that in windows management if you already have an os on the other partitions, you will need like partition magic etc to do that. if not all you should have to do is just delete the partition you want to move it to if nothings on it then shrink c then recreate that other partition. 95gb is really small for c unless you set stuff to save to the other partitions
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 12:06:25 PM

it won't be a simple repartition from C to E. as there is a D in the middle. You have to shrink C, move D, then expand E.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 3:02:00 PM

Defrag C:
Shrink C:
Expand D: to take up spare space from C:
Defarg D:
Shrink D:
Expand e: to take up spare space from D:
Defrag E:

I always use the free Hirens BootCD and using the Live Linux option and use the partition tool, so less chance of the Live Windows OS becoming corrupt.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 3:14:44 PM

I have used Partition Master and it worked well. linked by mcnumpty23

I have tried the defrag + shrink method but most times the page file or other object gets in the way.

Also Gparted works well, but sometimes results in a need to to a startup repair or use another system to edit the bcd entry(I think that only happens if you move the start point of C:) .

Important thing when messing with partitions is that you will see a system reserved partition(small 100(I think i have seen it as big as 300 on Win8) megabyte partition before everything). Don't mess with it as that is what boots windows.
December 20, 2012 12:03:10 PM

Worked like a charm used partition magic...
m
l
December 20, 2012 12:03:41 PM

Best answer selected by rohit_rameswarapu.
m
l
March 17, 2013 3:53:19 AM

rohit_rameswarapu said:
I have a 1TB harddisk i have partitioned it into 3 drives 250gb(c drive), 250gb(d drive), 500gb(e drive). Now i want to shrink my c drive to 75gb and allocate the remaining space(175gb) to e drive. I've searched all over the internet but could'nt get the answer.... pls solve my query... :( 

Follow this link to find out how you can extend and shrink volume
http://www.techxure.com/2012/11/extend-shrink-volume.ht...

Follow this link to know how you can allocate free space on your hard drive
http://www.techxure.com/2012/11/hard-drive-smaller-than...

To know more on how you can resize your hard drive without formatting or adding any additional software go to this link
http://www.techxure.com/2013/03/resize-your-hard-drive-...
m
l
!