Tech Help 1986 Bally Lamp problem

I've got a couple lamps out on a Kings of Steel. Bulbs are good. Wiring is
good. Used two different driver boards that are 100% good. Same lamps are
out. They will light if I jump to a different pin. Is it possible
something is bad in CPU? Have a Tom Callahan replacement board installed.
Clays guides don't cover this situation.

It's the 2n5060 SCR's. Each lamp is controlled and those scr's are
nearly impossible to test. Just change the ones for the particular
lamps. Your manual will show the associated driver scr's.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

First, Kings of Steel is from 1983. Second, there are no diodes
involved. Third, have you checked to see if your connector pin is
rotted inside the housing?

Nick wrote:
> Cliffy wrote:
> > It's the 2n5060 SCR's. Each lamp is controlled and those scr's are
> > nearly impossible to test. Just change the ones for the particular
> > lamps. Your manual will show the associated driver scr's.
> >
> > S Budko wrote:
> >
> >> I've got a couple lamps out on a Kings of Steel. Bulbs are good.
> >> Wiring is good. Used two different driver boards that are 100% good.
> >> Same lamps are out. They will light if I jump to a different pin. Is
> >> it possible something is bad in CPU? Have a Tom Callahan replacement
> >> board installed. Clays guides don't cover this situation.
>
> Make shure to also check the diodes. I had one lamp not working on my
> 1988 Bally. Turned out to be a bad diode.

I agree, I bet the connectors inside the housing that plug onto the
driver board are bad. The other thing is the sockets themselves could
still be bad. The MPU multiplexes the drive info, so very unlikely
that's bad.

K2

trace the wire back to the connector and test it with a multitester - I
have a black pyramid that even with a new pin in refuses to work on one
lamp. Haven't gotten around to fixing it since this determination
made. (stupid IDC connectors.... when they work they're fine, but when
they are flaky ugh)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007