pc buying question

I need a new pc and a friend told me that Dell was not even close to the
best pcs? I'm confused because I thought they were good. Could someone
broaden my horizons and tell me of other companys I might buy from? Not
Gateway I hated their pc. Thanks.

Michael

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:03:44 GMT, "lordmajax" <anon@anon.net> wrote:

>I need a new pc and a friend told me that Dell was not even close to the
>best pcs? I'm confused because I thought they were good. Could someone
>broaden my horizons and tell me of other companys I might buy from? Not
>Gateway I hated their pc. Thanks.
>
>Michael

Dell - best PCs (ie best bang for your buck) - probably
Dell - best technical support - debatable

Barry

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

If you're in the UK then no, Dell is not the best, go to Simply Computers
are cheaper and have better service.

If you're in the US, just call a few of your local suppliers with the specs
that Dell's offering.

I understand that the Internet has some information on this topic. Give it a
try.

PC World - Top 15 Desktop PCs
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,116578,00.asp

PC Magazine > Desktops > Product Guide
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4,00.asp

Etc. etc.

Rocky

"lordmajax" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
> I need a new pc and a friend told me that Dell was not even close to the
> best pcs? I'm confused because I thought they were good. Could someone
> broaden my horizons and tell me of other companys I might buy from? Not
> Gateway I hated their pc. Thanks.
>
> Michael

> go to Simply Computers are cheaper and have better service

uk.comp.vendors might well disagree with you there !

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Why?

Do tell...

"KevinONeil" <kevinoneil@aol.com> wrote in message
> www.buympc.com

I hadn't visited this site until now.

Nice but I would suggest you take whatever specs you'er looking at and plug
them in both here and at Dell.

I just bought a new Dimensionfrom Dell yesterday. I don't have the spec
sheet in front of me here at the house but when I tried to match it at
Micron PC the total was about $1,200 more at Micron for the same set of
toys. Granted I might have missed something, hell, say I missed a LOT of
somethings and the spread was only $500. That's some serious money. My
Dell with a 2.1 FSD priced out at around $2200. Micron was over $3400 for
comparable.

Over the years I've bought and owned (in my business and home) five Dell
desktops and five laptops. Since I bought my first Dell, I've not bought
anything else.

Depends on what you want to spend, and how much support you expect.

"lordmajax" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
> I need a new pc and a friend told me that Dell was not even close to the
> best pcs? I'm confused because I thought they were good. Could someone
> broaden my horizons and tell me of other companys I might buy from? Not
> Gateway I hated their pc. Thanks.
>
> Michael

> Why?
> Do tell...

ISTR bad press from having been a regular there for ~12 months

I found a pc called Sony VAIO PCV-RS630G
It sounds to good to be true. Anyone know anything about this pc?

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

lordmajax wrote:
> I found a pc called Sony VAIO PCV-RS630G
> It sounds to good to be true. Anyone know anything about this pc?

Don't know anything about the PC itself, but Sony's service is the pits
(yes, worse than Dell's - remember that Dell's service is still rated
among the best).

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> (yes, worse than Dell's - remember that Dell's service is still rated
> among the best).

Yeah, but "among the best" of what?

Best of group that is generally rated poor doesn't do much for me.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> lordmajax wrote:
> > I found a pc called Sony VAIO PCV-RS630G
> > It sounds to good to be true. Anyone know anything about this pc?
>
> Don't know anything about the PC itself, but Sony's service is the pits
> (yes, worse than Dell's - remember that Dell's service is still rated
> among the best).

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Irene wrote:
> "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
>
>>(yes, worse than Dell's - remember that Dell's service is still rated
>>among the best).
>
> Yeah, but "among the best" of what?

The best of the PC manufacturers being rated (but you already knew that).

> The best of the PC manufacturers being rated (but you already knew that).

Yes, I did, Sparky and I said so, but you, for reasons known only to you
left that part of my comment out; when you quoted me.
So, I will say it again.
""Yeah, but "among the best" of what?"
"Best of (a) group that is generally rated poor doesn't do much for me."

Were you intentionally trying to mislead, or did you just not read what I
posted?
Oh well, I guess it matters not. >g<

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Irene wrote:
> > "Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> >
> >>(yes, worse than Dell's - remember that Dell's service is still rated
> >>among the best).
> >
> > Yeah, but "among the best" of what?
>
> The best of the PC manufacturers being rated (but you already knew that).

In my opinion, and if you're in the U.S., here is an EXCELLENT place
to purchase a system. As bad as Dell's tech support is, that's how
good Tasty's tech support is.

http://www.tastycomputers.com

Please reply in this forum, above email address is no longer valid.
Have a nice day AND a happy life. Acadia.

"bc_acadia" <bc_acadia@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> In my opinion, and if you're in the U.S., here is an EXCELLENT place
> to purchase a system. As bad as Dell's tech support is, that's how
> good Tasty's tech support is.
>
> http://www.tastycomputers.com
>
> Please reply in this forum, above email address is no longer valid.
> Have a nice day AND a happy life. Acadia.

It should be noted that the president (? or owner) of tasty computers
visited this very newsgroup within the last 6 months and participated in a
rather friendly and professional manner in several threads.

Until Michael Dell does the same, some favorable bias may exist towards
tasty among some ng users. (Perhaps even the above user, not that such is a
bad thing, necessarily.)

The guy, whose name escapes me at the moment, seemed rather real as I hosed
him for spoofing himself.

Stew

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"lordmajax" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message news:IMKHc.27$HS5.11@fe20.usenetserver.com...
> I need a new pc and a friend told me that Dell was not even close to the
> best pcs? I'm confused because I thought they were good.

Define "best" and "good". Seriously... what do *YOU* consider to
be best or good? What is important to you?

For some people, the "best computer" would be the one that is the
most powerfull. For others, the "best computer" would be one that
has a certain price/performance ratio. Some people are looking
for computers that consume less power. Some prefer silent PCs.
Some need alot of expansion. Some don't. Some demand the
absolute best parts because they'll be overclocking. Most don't.
Some want top notch tech support and zero hold times AND are
willing to pay higher prices for it. Others rarely need tech support,
and may be glad the manufacturer is keeping support costs down.

Decide what level of performance you need, what features you
need, what level of support you need, etc. THEN look at what
Dell has to offer, and what others have to offer. Pick the one
that is "best" in your mind.

acadia

Indeed, perhaps the Dell newsgroup is not the best place to "advertise" for
another company, but I was just answering Lord's original post, he wanted to
know of other companies. I apologize for any over ethusiasm that I might
have for TastyComputers but this new system of mine is simply dripping with
quality and its hard to contain myself especially when I see someone looking
for an alternative to Dell. I still like Dell's quality. I subscribe to
three magazines that regularly rate the major pc makers, Consumer Reports,
PC Magazine and PC World. All three of them constantly rate Dell as a
quality machine, IBM and Apple usually round out the top three with all
other makers falling far behind. But all three magazine agree that Dell is
falling behind on Tech Support. The fact that Dell is still able to produce
quality systems now that it is the number one maker of pcs on planet Earth
is impressive, they are doing something right, but the number of people
needing their help now after the sale is evidently overwhelming them. The
same thing was seen with the Norton/Symantic outfit. Several years ago
Norton/Symantec actually won awards for their tech support, but now that
they have grown so hugh, they simply cannot keep up. If TastyComputers
really takes off and grows, I hope their excellent tech support continues.
I could go into some detail about the before and after sale help that
they've given me but some of you simply wouldn't believe me so I'll simply
spare myself the frustration of not being believed. Take care.

Acadia

"Acadia" <acadiaNOT@ONyourLIFE.com> wrote in message news:<JpadnbhxA8IN52ndRVn-iQ@comcast.com>...
> Indeed, perhaps the Dell newsgroup is not the best place to "advertise" for
> another company, but I was just answering Lord's original post, he wanted to
> know of other companies. I apologize for any over ethusiasm that I might
> have for TastyComputers but this new system of mine is simply dripping with
> quality and its hard to contain myself especially when I see someone looking
> for an alternative to Dell. I still like Dell's quality.

No need to apologize in my opinion. I'm with you 100%. I love Dell's
also, (I own three at home), but tasty does look like a great outfit.
I've never heard of them, but I'll have to file them away for future
consideration for my next purchase. Thanks for mentioning them!

My issue with Tasty would be that it would appear looking at their homepage,
they have no clue what they is talking about...

"bulk OEM components such as processors, motherboards, memory, power
supplies and add-on cards are often the inferior remnants of what the
component manufacturers deemed not good enough to package as a retail part"

I have been working on PC's since 1981 and had my own business building them
until retiring from it a couple years ago (just a side line now). This
statement is pure hogwash. The differences between OEM Bulk and boxed items
has nothing to do with predetermined quality.

I was really amused by "we just don't offer computers with Celeron®
processors, bare-bones memory and forcing inferior integrated video down
your throat". Oh no, not that unreliable Celeron processor! Not onboard
video that can easily be disabled so you can ad your own. Yes and then you
look at their (Tasty's) offerings (limited and high priced) only to find
this statement...

"We only use retail version premium name-brand hardware components to
assemble your tastycomputer (with the exception of hard drives, floppy
drives and Iomega® ZIP drives, which are normally OEM versions, meaning that
they are fully-warranted premium components, but without the associated
retail packaging.)
"

Oooops, guess they use some of those INFERIOR OEM parts after all.

If you don't want a Celeron or on-board video, order a system that does not
include those items, Dell and IBM offer them (stay away from Gateway in my
opinion), but I am not sure I would recommend one that engages in misleading
statements.

"S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> wrote in message

> "bc_acadia" <bc_acadia@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > In my opinion, and if you're in the U.S., here is an EXCELLENT place
> > to purchase a system. As bad as Dell's tech support is, that's how
> > good Tasty's tech support is.
> >
> > http://www.tastycomputers.com
> >
> > Please reply in this forum, above email address is no longer valid.
> > Have a nice day AND a happy life. Acadia.
>

> It should be noted that the president (? or owner) of tasty computers
> visited this very newsgroup within the last 6 months and participated in a
> rather friendly and professional manner in several threads.
>
> Until Michael Dell does the same, some favorable bias may exist towards
> tasty among some ng users. (Perhaps even the above user, not that such is
> bad thing, necessarily.)
>
> The guy, whose name escapes me at the moment, seemed rather real as I
hosed
> him for spoofing himself.
>

> Stew

No apologies needed and no offense intended. It is, however, noteworthy
when a ranking official of ANY PC company of note visits this group.

Stew