Buying new gaming Pc

nadroj1485

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
Hi.

Ive been wanting a new computer for a while now and finally have the funds to buy one...I was thinking about building one myself but I've never attempted to build one before and dont really know a lot about bios and stuff. After consulting with a friend and thinking about it for a few days I decided to get one from dell.
the specs on the system I picked out are:
-Dimension 8400 Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640 (3.2GHz) w/HT Technology and 2MB cache
-1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
-256MB Nvidia GeForce 6800 Graphics Card(pci-e)
-160GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
-Microsoft Windows XP Home
-Logitech MX 500 Optical Mouse
-16X DVD-Rom Drive
-Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD Audio
-2 yr warranty
cost=$1317
Ive read plenty of articles about how its better to build your own gaming pc and such.

My questions are
1)Is the cost for this system a good price?
2)Why is it better to build it yourself? Ive looked on newegg and for a similar system I dont really see a price difference
3)Are there any other reasons i shouldnt buy this system?

nadroj1485

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
Oh my current system is

p4 1.8ghz
756 mb ram
geforce fx5200 pci
30gb hd

that i bought from dell about 3 years ago.

The main thing I plan to use the new system for is gaming...Main game I play right now is world of warcraft but plan on buying some fps soon.

walterblackberry

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
I just posted a similar thread about buying a new computer.
I have a different strategy however since I plan to build it myself. The reason is that I wan't to be able to chose exactly what components I put in there, for me it's cheaper to import some components and buy some domestically, plus it's great fun to put it all together ( done it a couple of times now). Building it doesn't take much time, but it's easy to make mistakes if you're doing it yourself for the first time.
I'm getting amd, seems like they're better with games. At least according to THG. Also I prefer ati, but that's just because I like ati better, no real performance reason I guess.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
1)Is the cost for this system a good price?
For what your getting, no

2)Why is it better to build it yourself?
Because then you could buy this

AMD64 3400+ $192
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum $145
2x 512MB OCZ4001024ELDCPE CL 2-3-2-5 $223
ATI Raedon X800 Pro 256MB $292
WD740GD 74GB 10,000rpm $174
Logitech Cordless Duo $40
Lite On SOHW-1673S DVD+/-RW 16X 24x CDRW 48x CDR $63
Augidy 2 Gamers ZS $107

Total cost $1236 for a way better system and it leaves you some $$ to choose a fancy cool case that doesn't say DELL on it.

3)Are there any other reasons i shouldnt buy this system?
How about it's a DELL and it sucks ass?

Kocur

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2004
Hi Nadroj1485,

Some remarks that might prove useful for you.

1. Pentium 4 processors are not the best choice for gaming and applications that rely on FPU power. Moreover, they consume vast amounts of energy (that is why they are sometimes refered to as space heaters:))

2. The general rule of a thumb is to pick up AMD 64/FX processors for gaming and scientific applications. For more information on CPUs look at www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets or www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/.

4. Dell is not as good as marketing hype goes. I have heard a lot of complaints, for example, at www.aceshardware.com, about their customer support.

Hope that helps.

nadroj1485

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
thanks for taking time to post suggestions :)

Ok that is a nice computer but the vid card you posted cheapest i see on newegg is 380. After i add the case/os/monitor its gonna cost about $300 more if they give me free shipping/no taxes....Would it be worth it to pay that much more for those parts?

Also why does dell suck? I see the person who said the support is bad but the only problem ive ever had with them is they hire a lot of foreigners on the support team...Although ive only had 1 problem with my dell in the 3 years ive had it.

Last question would be if i did do the build thing and built the one suggested what kind of performance increase could i expect from that over the dell?

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
For gaming, definitely go AMD64. The other parts you choose (vid card, motherboard etc) are at to your discretion, but the general consensus you'll receive from Tom's Hardware and probably most anyone who knows much about PC's will suggest AMD64 for a primarily gaming machine.

If you build the system yourself, you'll know it better, and you'll learn in the process. As long as computers remain as they are (in architecture etc) I will only build my own computer versus buying one that was put together by a bunch of people I don't know (given they probably know what they are doing... I would hope at least).

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Here's an anandtech.com benchmark on Half-Life 2 comparing performance of Intel and AMD CPU's:

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330&p=2" target="_new">Click Me!!!</A>

According to Anandtech on Half Life2, only the Pentium 4 570 clocked at 3.8Ghtz was able to outperform the lowest grade socket 939 AMD64 CPU system.

AMD64 > Intel ...when it comes to gaming

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

endyen

Splendid
Dell likes stable. They dont wont thier systems crashing. The best wat to keep a system from crashing is to make it underperform. Dell is very good at making reasonable parts underperform. They also stay very clear of any parts that might be seen as performance parts.
A great advantage to building your own ( aside from the fact that it makes you feel like a king) is that you learn more about making it work. Knowing more, makes you better able to make it work better.
If I were to build the exact same system as Dell, but using the mobo etc with original bios, I would bet that before OCing, I would get 10% to 20% better performance, minimum.
The worst is, that now I know more, so my system stays faster, is upgraded at need, and will last longer.

watch out for fanbois - just buy what you want. Research things yourself and do your own homework if you wish. Dell is very good choice though and what you got for the price is pretty good. But, fill free to research other alternatives YOURSELF.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

dells don't suck

these folks here are a bunch of fanbois by trade. You really need to do your own homework.

Dells are the best i feel as far as brand name computers.

The best way to buy a computer is to build it yourself but typically i would only advise that to people who are majoring in the computer field.

If i were you i would avoid this forum for any kind of PC buying advice. All you'll get is the Intel vs AMD nonsense and nothing concrete and helpful for you.

Clearly you want to buy a system and not make one yourself otherwise you would have went that direction in the first place. Dell's are very good systems.

Intel and AMD are both good and both do the same thing. They cost pretty much the same as well. It doesn't matter.

Go with what is more convenient for you and Dell is very convenient for you with the warranty, phone support, and everything is preinstalled. All you gotta do when you get a Dell is turn it on and its up and running. Don't have to do anything but register windows XP and Office if you get it. (of course you need to hook up the monitor and plug it in.

alright? Heed my advice and avoid this forum for any PC buying advice.

(edited for grammer mistakes)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 03/11/05 00:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

At this point, they're just stating facts. Not to mention the AMD has a much better price/performance ratio. If Intel was better, then that would be the general recommendation.

That being said...not everyone wants to build their own PC. Some people want that tech support and warranty for as long as they can get it. I personally am not willing to pay for the major mfrs to assemble me a propietary PC that is more expensive and will perform worse than a system that I can put together myself.

I completely agree that he needs to research the options himself and decide what best fits his personality, budget and needs.

it doesn't matter period.

I can tell you for a fact that both systems (an Intel system and an AMD system) will perform better under different situations (one may be faster in Pinical Studio while another is faster for Doom 3) but ultimatly they both perform fast and get the job done. That is all that matters.

Remember this - not everyone is knowledgable about computers as you are. Not everyone knows a computer guru that they can call and ask for help.

Dell is very good for folks who just don't have a clue. (its also very good for those that do know ... i'm using a Dell Laptop now and never had a problem with it) Ignorance is natural you can't possibly know everything. So, Dell is a very very good option (As it has a good warranty, phone support, and everything is preinstalled) and the best option when buying a brand name system in my opinion. Now you can argue which brand name is best for the guy. You can argue which setup would be best in your opinion. But, to say he should get the ultimate shiney gold plated AMD Athlon 64 because its better is complete bullshit. You're imposing your biased subjective view on him.

And yes, ultimatly he should do his own homework. Which is why he should avoid this forum for PC buying advice.

(edited for clearification)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 03/11/05 00:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Total cost $1236 for a way better system and it leaves you some $$ to choose a fancy cool case that doesn't say DELL on it
LMAO! I bet you must love those commercials with the Dell interns :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

G

But if he's already posted here asking if the Dell is the best option, doesn't that sort of imply he's already got a clue? If he figured that out, he should be able to learn more about building one and get the most for his hard earned money.
But, to say he should get the ultimate shiney gold plated AMD Athlon 64 because its better is complete bullshit. You're imposing your biased subjective view on him.
Ok, he did state he wants a gaming rig. Gaming is all (or mostly) about graphics, right? If he does his research, he's gonna find AMD being better for gaming rigs is NOT "a complete bull$hit biased subjective view", that's just the way it is with current hardware. But as we say in the good 'ole USA, FREE TO CHOOSE.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

Remember this - not everyone is knowledgable about computers as you are. Not everyone knows a computer guru that they can call and ask for help....You can argue which setup would be best in your opinion. But, to say he should get the ultimate shiney gold plated AMD Athlon 64 because its better is complete bullshit. You're imposing your biased subjective view on him.
Did you actually read my post or just glaze over it! Here, I'll post it again for you.
Rugger: "That being said...not everyone wants to build their own PC. Some people want that tech support and warranty for as long as they can get it....he needs to research the options himself and decide <b>what best fits his personality, budget and needs"</b>.
This does not exclude the option for a Dell. I did not recommend <b>ANY</b> system parts nor did I say
he should get the ultimate shiney gold plated AMD
Reading is f#@king fundamental - you should try it! :mad:

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
ahhhh shut up dells suck eggs mate.

AMD rule.

I am a fanboy................

yes getting to the point: but dells really are a hype of sh1t.

Kocur

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2004
Hey xxsk8er101xx

You should show at least some respect to opinions of other people. Stop bashing them!

Do not ask for trouble.

Kocur.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Ok that is a nice computer but the vid card you posted cheapest i see on newegg is 380
Newegg isn't the cheapest for everything. I use pricewatch.com to find cheapest deals on individual components.

case/os/monitor
Well, I kind of assumed you already had a case/os/monitor - seeing as you have a PC already right? Besides, you can pick these things up pretty cheap when you want.

why does dell suck?
1. They only sell Intel. That means they preventing you from choosing the best and most cost-effective product.
2. They use proprietary parts. I've opened too many [-peep-] up dells to see irreplacable power supplies, hard disk mountings, and motherboards. This means if your PC breaks down outside warranty, you're screwed. Oh, and forget upgrading.
3. Dell pretty much have a monopoly on PCs, and monopolies are bad for the consumer.
4. They are over-priced.
5. You get a [-peep-]-up OS installation.

what kind of performance increase could i expect from that over the dell?
Hard to say without actually having the two systems side by side because you've no idea how good the dell implementation of the chipset is. Based on processor and video card benchmarks I'd say ~25%.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
You're imposing your biased subjective view on him
All views are subjective, that's redundant. How do you know if someone elses view is biased? Becaue it doesn't agree with yours? I, like you and everyone else simply, give an opinion, people can glean from it what they want. Certainly no one is imposing anything on anyone. It's an internet bulletin-board for Christ's sake.

he should avoid this forum for PC buying advice.
Certainly he will get a particular type of advice here. Most of us are hardware fans, wouldn't dream of buying an off-the-peg system. We love to tinker, upgrade, improve, overclock, it's out passion. If he wanted advice on which DELL to buy he'd have gone to Best-Buy. The very fact that he posted here suggests to me that he's toying with the idea of building a machine. That's where we can and do help.

Natually he is free to choose whichever route he feels is appropriate for him and none of us would want it any other way.