upgrade Pentium166 to Pentium233

In order to operate Verizon Online's DSL service, it has been suggested that
I acquire a 233MHz processor. I found several on ebay, two of which come
with a fan. Is the fan necessary? Anything special about the installation?
Thanks,
Rob R.

tonys

correct me if i am wrong...but isn't there a voltage difference here?

the P166 ran at 3.3 volts where as the P233mmx ran at 2.8 volts?
there are no P233 that are not MMX....

Does this dell motherboard support the lower voltage, or should you get one
with a LARGE fan on it?

tony

"R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
> In order to operate Verizon Online's DSL service, it has been suggested
that
> I acquire a 233MHz processor. I found several on ebay, two of which come
> with a fan. Is the fan necessary? Anything special about the installation?
> Thanks,
> Rob R.

Why would you want to pay good money for a processor that is 7 years behind
today's technology?

Rocky

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>"R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote

>>In order to operate Verizon Online's DSL service, it has been suggested that
>>I acquire a 233MHz processor. I found several on ebay, two of which come
>>with a fan. Is the fan necessary? Anything special about the installation?

>Why would you want to pay good money for a processor that is 7 years behind
>today's technology?

See the thread "Dimension 166 Processor speed" that started with
R. Reading's post <10eoo8b175v9c8f@corp.supernews.com> on July
7th, and all will become clear to you, Rocky.
--
OJ III

Rob,

Preferably, get one with a fan, 'cause they run hotter than 166's. Set the
motherboard clock multiplier jumpers for a multiplier of 1.5x. Intel used the
same pin signals and clock multiplier for both the 3.5x 233MHz Pentium MMX and
the 1.5x classic Pentium. Pay short money... Ben Myers

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 09:37:00 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote:

>In order to operate Verizon Online's DSL service, it has been suggested that
>I acquire a 233MHz processor. I found several on ebay, two of which come
>with a fan. Is the fan necessary? Anything special about the installation?
>Thanks,
>Rob R.

Tony,

When I entered the service tag for Rod's computer, the hardware configuration as
shipped showed a 166MHz Pentium MMX, so the voltage supported by the mobo should
be no problem. I, too, recommend a fan... Ben Myers

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:46:17 -0700, "tonys" <aarcuda@lvcm.com.spam> wrote:

>correct me if i am wrong...but isn't there a voltage difference here?
>
>the P166 ran at 3.3 volts where as the P233mmx ran at 2.8 volts?
>there are no P233 that are not MMX....
>
>Does this dell motherboard support the lower voltage, or should you get one
>with a LARGE fan on it?
>
>tony
>

>"R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
>> In order to operate Verizon Online's DSL service, it has been suggested
>that
>> I acquire a 233MHz processor. I found several on ebay, two of which come
>> with a fan. Is the fan necessary? Anything special about the installation?
>> Thanks,
>> Rob R.

Don't bother with the P233, your 166 will work fine. Just make sure to
use a decent (name brand) NIC.

ssrlouis@hushmail.com (ssrlouis) wrote in message news:<62557a42.0407111625.772a7f26@posting.google.com>...
> Don't bother with the P233, your 166 will work fine. Just make sure to
> use a decent (name brand) NIC.

The 233 was available in mmx and non-mmx versions although the latter
were rare.

You might try just nudging up the speed settings if you don't mind
taking a little risk - many 166s I have owned worked at 200Mhz.......

that must be an error. the pxxxs series was sold with pentium only and 2
clock memory. with the mxxxs series came the introduction of the pentium
mmx chips and 4 clock memory.

to upgrade an pxxxs with 166mhz you can either go with a raw pentium 200Mhz
processor, an "intel pentium overdrive 200 with mmx", or a seperate
powerleap socket 7 voltage regulator with a raw intel pentium 233mhz mmx.
installing a penitum mmx processor directly into the motherboard of a dell
dimension pxxxs will damage it.