Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 BSOD Upon Boot

Last response: in Windows 7
April 23, 2010 12:17:03 PM

Howdy

I am getting a BSOD upon booting Windows 7 x86. It appears to happen right before the desktop is shown. The BSOD always displays wimfsf.sys and a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error.

Any idea what could be going on? I just installed Windows 7 from scratch a week ago and ran Memtest86 overnight with no trouble. I also tried booting with just one RAM stick at a time, but the issue remains. I haven't made any major changes or installed any new drivers since this started happening. The error pops up even if I try to boot into safe mode or launch startup repair when it is suggested.

Relevant system specs are

Windows 7 Pro x86
Athlon 64 3500+
2x 512MB Corsair ValueSelect DDR RAM
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Geforce 6600GT
Seagate 7200.7 200GB
550W Antec TruePower PSU

I'm not using any additional PCI cards.

Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : windows bsod boot

Best solution

April 23, 2010 12:29:09 PM

Paste any error codes here as they can tell more about the problem.

There's also a fair chance that one of your memory modules decided to give up, try running some memtest first (ideally leave it in loop for few hours).
April 23, 2010 7:34:57 PM

I ran chkdsk with the /f, /r and /b switches to be as thorough as possible and a ton of index entries got deleted, although no bad sectors were found. Still couldn't boot, though. Continuously launching the Startup Repair utility off the Win 7 installation disc then finally fixed the problem, I think I had to attempt 4-5 times before it got nailed, for whatever reason.

The system is now booting fine, but I want to find out what might be causing these problems. It's not the first time that chkdsk had to make a lot of corrections. It has happened several times recently, so I am suspecting that the HDD is dying. It is slightly over 5 years old, after all.

I'll try running memtest86+ overnight again, even though I just did it recently. If that doesn't turns up anything, I'll try Seatools once more, even though I, like memtest, ran that very recently, too.
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2010 9:59:50 AM

Just to note: The memory is fine and not faulty. I just tagged this thread as solved to close it.
m
l
April 30, 2010 10:00:32 AM

Best answer selected by Kralnor.
m
l
!