Sign in with
Your question

High-end Gaming Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 2, 2010 2:30:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a decent gaming laptop to run parrarel to my PC Rig.

1_What is your budget?

Around $2000-$2500 AUD, but flexible on that should the right laptop arise.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Medium size, the XPS 16 is a perfect laptop size wise.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080, If possible. I don't know what a 15-16 inch screen runs at, but if it's not 1920x1080, then the best possible i'd imagine.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

portability is key, but it needs to be powerful (best of both worlds really). I would use it constantly for work, so it rules out anything monsterous.

5_How much battery life do you need?

maximum, so around 1 and a half hrs?

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Naturally, Starcraft II would be a good benchmark, I doubt i'll get into WoW again but also a good benchmark. Cod 6?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Streaming is the other one, so a decent network card is needed.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

irrelevant 500gb drive would be fine.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

As I said, Dell's XPS16 is a decent laptop, with upgraded i7 and ATI 5730 it seems decent, but I don't want to jump into buying it without seeing what else is out there

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

as long as possible, obviously trying to get the latest hardware in there, considering the budget I am on, is key.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD, not interested in blu-ray.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I'm open to anything, as long as it's not some dodgy brand from china.

13_What country do you live in?

Australia.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

As i said, I don't mind spending a bit of cash, if it's neccesary. I am leaning toward the XPS16. It looks good and it would be more than capable of handling the tasks i require from my laptop. I've got a very powerful i7 rig as a desktop, so I don't need something that goes past 100 degrees and takes 40 minutes to rundown the battery, but I do want to take it places and know I can run modern day games on it at full without problems. I'd imagine that's more than possible.

I really know very little about laptops, compared to desktops, and I am not interested in building one. frankly, I have enough trouble building a desktop.

Cheers!

More about : high end gaming laptop

a b D Laptop
September 2, 2010 2:41:02 AM

Do you know of any Australian sites that sell laptops and such? I know that NewEgg and TigerDirect do not ship to Australia, hence why I ask. But it would seem that the XPS that you have customized would get the job done, especially for gaming. Does Dell offer the 5870m or is that as high as they go?
September 2, 2010 3:35:29 AM

their website customisation only goes up to the 5730. If they put the 5870m in there, I would have bought it already. techbuy.com.au is where I get all my Desktop parts. Would it be better to buy from a place like that than direct from someone like Dell?
!