Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7, SSD, and RAID0

Last response: in Windows 7
December 19, 2012 1:32:34 PM

I read the stickies about SSDs, but the only article that mentioned RAIDs was written in 2010 when many SSDs didn't even support TRIM standalone.

Dunno how true any of this is (other than the Z77 chipset supporting SSD RAID0) but I was told that Windows 7 actually installs with different settings (and possibly drivers?) if installed on a SSD rather than a HDD in order to optimize it for SSD use.

First of all, is that true?

And second, I have a motherboard that supports TRIM over RAID0, would Windows 7 SP1 notice this RAID0 is made up of SSDs and install with these SSD-optimized settings, it would it be confused to see a RAID and assume its made up of HDDs?

More about : windows ssd raid0

a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2012 1:41:41 PM

windows 8 will auto detect your ssd and disable auto defrag and some other features, idk about win 7
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:48:50 PM

Yes, 7 disables defrag and other features, too. Although RAID0 would be slightly faster I've heard it's best to just go with the biggest SSD you can afford and don't bother with RAID. I've used various RAID systems (back in Raptor days) and they were great back then. But now you're doubling lightning fast performance which is hardly noticeable.
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2012 2:00:04 PM

zdbc13 said:
Yes, 7 disables defrag and other features, too. Although RAID0 would be slightly faster I've heard it's best to just go with the biggest SSD you can afford and don't bother with RAID. I've used various RAID systems (back in Raptor days) and they were great back then. But now you're doubling lightning fast performance which is hardly noticeable.

I just wanted the best performance I could get with the amount I could afford, and even if the performance isn't that much better, since they are 256GB, they were cheaper than just getting a single 512GB drive anyway.

From the benchmarks I have seen though you do get quite a performance increase by putting them in RAID0, although there is a slight suffer in random 4k writes (the 840 pros were just too expensive for me)

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_ssd_830_raid_revie...
m
l
December 19, 2012 2:05:57 PM

That's an impressive review. Sounds like you've made the right choice....
m
l
!