Decent Gaming Laptop with Decent Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Hi, I recently started college and realized that I need a new laptop. I need something that can handle Starcraft 2 on mid to high settings with > 30 fps and still maintain good battery life (2-3 hrs). I was originally looking at the Asus G73JH-X1 until I realized how crappy the battery life was, but I guess thats not really surprising seeing all the stuff thats inside of it.

1) What is your budget? Up to $1500

2) What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14"-17" or so

3) What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080 preferred but not necessary

4) Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5) How much battery life do you need? 2-3 hrs would be preferrable

6) Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Starcraft 2 - Medium to High Settings and possibly WoW on high settings sometime in the future

7) What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Browsing the net, doing homework, watching youtube and maybe the occasional movie or tv show.

8) How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? Minimum 250 GB which is not hard to get nowadays

9) If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Love to use newegg or amazon but as long as the site is reliable I really don't care

10) How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible.

11) What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVR Writer minimum and a blu-ray reader would be nice.

12) Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I've heard that Asus and Toshiba are the most reliable brands so they would be preferrable. Also, I prefer to avoid dells due to past experience but don't let that hold you back either.

13) What country do you live in? USA

Any information is greatly appreciated.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

An Alienware M15x meets most of your specs. It is within your budget and has a 15.6" screen, 2.8 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor, and 250 GB of RAM. Like most gaming laptops, the Alienware isn't going to have great battery life, but you could consider buying an extra battery to make sure it lasts longer. This Alienware also has an illuminated keyboard, which is a nice bonus feature.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
It's definitely a very viable option. I've never owned an alienware but I'll keep an eye on it. I like how much you can customize it. As long as I can find a way to make do with the battery that is.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

Alienware laptops are great for gaming, but like with all gaming laptops, you won't get much battery life out of them. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help you with!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Hello and welcome to the forums
Consider MSI GX660,it has better specs than AW M15x and its cheaper too
http://www.xoticpc.com/gx660053us-gaming-laptop-order-p-2850.html

Status
Not open for further replies.