Turn computer on via keyboard??

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
i was wonderring if there is a way to turn on a computer with some type of remote or my wireless keyboard for instance'

it is usb/bluetooth i think.. its a logitech dinovo mini

my computer details are under my member information

Solution

To answer your title, Yes you can power on your computer via a keyboard. But, specifically a Keyboard that would be wired via PS/2. There is a setting in your BIOS to enable this feature under APM configuration.

In your case with a bluetooth device you can see if the device would wake your computer from sleep mode and go that route instead.

And there are remotes with IR receivers you can install on your computer. There aren't many I can think of besides the ones antec made...
The computer is the device that activates the keyboard; not the other way around.

In order to do what you have in mind, a remote control system (like TV remote) will have to be incorporated in the keyboard which in turn activates a relay switching mechanism thereby turning ON the computer.

skaz

Distinguished

To answer your title, Yes you can power on your computer via a keyboard. But, specifically a Keyboard that would be wired via PS/2. There is a setting in your BIOS to enable this feature under APM configuration.

In your case with a bluetooth device you can see if the device would wake your computer from sleep mode and go that route instead.

And there are remotes with IR receivers you can install on your computer. There aren't many I can think of besides the ones antec made. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999191

Solution