Gottlieb Sure Shot EM...game playability and high scores w..

Finally completed my total restoration including the rebuilding of all
mech moving parts on a near perfect original condition Sure Shot EM
pinball machine. This game had extremly low plays and needed hardly any
touch ups at all anywhere. A true collectors dream find.

Check out below my game playability,opinion and high score posting on
this great playing 1976 Gottlieb wedgehead.

You must be able to make the 1 ball on the top arch rollover and also
be able to flip into the 2 kick out holes at will to beat this tough to
beat game by score or special. The wide open playfield is especially
nice because you can get the ball moving really fast without any
restrictions which can make for some extra sharp skilled shots from
just about anywhere on the playfield including knocking out pool ball
rollover numbers 10 and 11 located on the upper section of the
playfield.

There are 3 bulls eye target numbered pool balls that play an important
part in the kick out hole 1000 to 5000 point scoring. Also the
"special" for replay (after lighting up all the numbered pool balls 1
thru 15 in the playfields pool ball rack) moves from left kick out hole
to right kick out hole to center number 1 rollover on top arch, you
have to catch it right to score a special for a replay. Any target or
rollover scored moves the special around so you are constantly chasing
after the special for a replay. Lets not forget the bonus count unit
which a player collects a 1000 points per lit pool ball in the center
playfield pool ball rack when the "ball in play" drains into the
outhole.

The game is mid 1970's(no drop targets)but has the charms of a 1960's
Gottlieb type of playfield layout which wasn't the normal in that era
of pinballs manufactured by Gottlieb at the time.

Great artwork/coloring on the playfield and cabinet. Extra special nice
early 1900's look on the backglass design. If you like rollovers lanes
and a wide open playfield with plenty of skilled shots and fast
powerful action with the silverball then this is the game for you. This
game reminds me a little of Gottlieb's Classic 1960's Bank a Ball or
Domino too without the roto spin.

HIGH SCORE GAME ON 9-12-05: 220,100 points and 9 replays (max credit
wheel)

G,
The pictures of the game you saw on IPDB are pictures of my 1st Sure
Shot i owned. I sold that Sure Shot to a guy in NY. The Sure Shot i
have up graded to now and the one i just finished restoring... Sure
Shot number 2 is in much better condition then the 1st one i had which
you saw in the pictures on IPDB. I plan on sending in some new pictures
of my most recent Sure Shot i now have in my collection of 20+ all
original condition wedgeheads(no repainted cabinets or repro glasses
etc.) to IPDB soon. Keep on the look out for the pictures of my newest
Sure Shot,it's in amazing "one of a kind" original condition!

<QUOTE>Also the "special" for replay (after lighting up all the
numbered pool balls 1
thru 15 in the playfields pool ball rack) moves from left kick out hole

to right kick out hole to center number 1 rollover on top arch, you
have to catch it right to score a special for a replay. Any target or
rollover scored moves the special around so you are constantly chasing
after the special for a replay. <QUOTE>

I have a really nice example of the AAB version of this game called
Bank Shot. Same artwork and layout. I found it interesting that on Sure
Shot, that the "Special" moves from the left saucer to the right saucer
then to the #1 rollover. On my Bank Shot, you light the "WOW" extra
Ball feature by completing the 1 thu 15 balls, but on my game both
saucers and the #1 rollover are all 3 lit at the same time and all
award the "WOW" feature. You do not have to chase the award like on
Sure Shot. Now you have me wandering if I have a faulty relay or
something and the "WOW" award should be moving??? Anybody know for
sure?

Thanks for the nice game description, I have to agree with your review,
I really enjoy my game as well.

Bob Stemmler

MikeO

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2004

Bob,

Not being familiar with Bank Shot (I did own a Sure Shot for about a
year), I would suggest you look a little closer at the difficulty
adjustments on the underside of the playfield. You might find you can
increase the difficulty by adjusting the game setting more
conservative. While I can't confirm it, Sure Shot may very well be
adjustable to be more liberal and provide a similar level of ease of
winning the extra games like your Bank Shot.

Mike O.

Hey Bob,
I didn't know that you had a Bank Shot! I'll be over to help you debug
that WOW anomaly!
Chris Hibler