Sign in with
Your question

Security

Last response: in Business Computing
April 8, 2012 10:23:10 PM

Hello,

I have been researching cloud computing for businesses and I was wondering if there was any way to insure the information stored on the cloud was safe. Are there any steps I can take to decrease the possibility of losing data?

More about : security

April 8, 2012 10:28:15 PM

Don't upload to cloud then you are 100% safe.
a b 8 Security
April 9, 2012 12:55:33 AM

Mildreporter said:
Hello,

I have been researching cloud computing for businesses and I was wondering if there was any way to insure the information stored on the cloud was safe. Are there any steps I can take to decrease the possibility of losing data?

Hi :) 

Ask Sony if its safe..lol

NO its NEVER safe...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
April 9, 2012 1:00:56 PM

The previous two responses were worthless.

Whoever the cloud provider is, you will want to check with them on their SLA (Service Level Agreement) and if possible view their datacenter where the information is stored. Many cloud services will have multiple datacenters.

As with any Administration within IT, select people will be able to view and/or access your data from a strictly administrative perspective.

Generally, the security risk remains the same from hosting it locally to storing it in the cloud. The concept of the cloud is to remove hardware overhead and have high availability. One should not expect to have more security by moving to the cloud unless a locally hosted option is entirely unsecure.
April 9, 2012 1:12:07 PM

riser said:
The previous two responses were worthless.

Whoever the cloud provider is, you will want to check with them on their SLA (Service Level Agreement) and if possible view their datacenter where the information is stored. Many cloud services will have multiple datacenters.

As with any Administration within IT, select people will be able to view and/or access your data from a strictly administrative perspective.

Generally, the security risk remains the same from hosting it locally to storing it in the cloud. The concept of the cloud is to remove hardware overhead and have high availability. One should not expect to have more security by moving to the cloud unless a locally hosted option is entirely unsecure.

The only way to be truly 100% safe is to NOT UPLOAD TO CLOUD.
April 9, 2012 2:16:04 PM

That's great insight if you were answering a question on college coursework. That doesn't answer the question though.
April 9, 2012 2:41:38 PM

riser said:
That's great insight if you were answering a question on college coursework. That doesn't answer the question though.

THERE IS NO WAY TO INSURE ANY INFORMATION POSTED ON THE INTERNETS IS SECURE THIS GOES FOR CLOUD COMPUTING .
April 9, 2012 2:50:27 PM

PM Sent.

The question:
"Are there any steps I can take to decrease the possibility of losing data?"
April 9, 2012 2:57:45 PM

There are some things you can do to improve security of data in the cloud:

1. Make sure the provider encrypts data at rest.
2. Make sure that backups they make are also encrypted.
3. Ask the vendor for documentation to make sure they take reasonable precautions.
4. Be sure that the cloud provider provides good isolation between your data and others.
5. Check with people in the IT realm, especially cloud computing, for a recommendation for a good cloud provider.

I used to work at a company that use a hosted (cloud) ERP system and they did security very well. Sometimes their level of security was a hassle, but the effectiveness made it worth a little extra work for me to administer it.
April 9, 2012 2:58:51 PM

Sunguard by chance?
April 9, 2012 3:20:25 PM

Sage Accpac.
a b 8 Security
April 9, 2012 3:52:03 PM

Hi :) 

The OP could always check with Anonymous first....

If they promise not to hack his particular Cloud server and cross their heart and hope to die...

Then the Cloud is safe.... lol

If not then multiple backups NOT in the cloud is the answer...

All the best Brett :) 
April 9, 2012 5:41:37 PM

Ah, must we define what the cloud is, again?
April 9, 2012 6:24:39 PM

MMO Fan said:
The only way to be truly 100% safe is to NOT UPLOAD TO CLOUD.

Considering every business nowadays has internet access, its not 100% either way. In fact, by storing data on a good service provider rather than on your average local network the security level will improve quite a lot.

Our friend riser has some valid points there. If you are worried about data loss, the best policy is to choose a good service provider. Actually, data loss on a cloud service would be very unlikely.
April 9, 2012 6:27:00 PM

Murissokah said:
Considering every business nowadays has internet access, its not 100% either way. In fact, by storing data on a good service provider rather than on your average local network the security level will improve quite a lot.

Our friend riser has some valid points there. If you are worried about data loss, the best policy is to choose a good service provider. Actually, data loss on a cloud service would be very unlikely.

It's kinda like Banks I don't trust them
June 18, 2012 12:50:13 PM

I think it depends on the size of your company, if you are small and do not have a team for information security then it could be a great idea. Do you trust, yourself with all the aspects of information security on your network or a team of highly paid professionals that focus in the security field only where their job is to protect your information. Like Jim_L9 said there are different things you can do to protect it even further like encrypting files and other precautions to be taken. One thing I would do is go with a bigger company that specializes in cloud computing instead of a smaller one. I would much rather have a company that spends millions of dollars on security then just me trying to secure a network myself.
June 18, 2012 2:26:13 PM

A recent report came out about SLAs and companies offering cloud services. The number one thing cloud companies excelled at over other companies? Security.
!