thejuice

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Recently my comp has been unable to stay on for more than 30 mins at a time without randomly rebooting. The errors I get from Windows are either, an unrecoverable hardware error reported by my CPU or error caused by my graphics device. It doesn't seem like it matters what I'm doing at the time of the restarts, it just happens randomly. Sometimes it'll reboot when it's loading Windows. My setup is:
P4 3.0c, not OC'd, stock HSF
2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Nvidia Geforce FX5900 128MB (x_x
WD 160GB HDD
Generic 425w PSU
Windows XP build 2600

I recently reformatted in hopes that my Windows was corrupt or a driver went bad, but same problems still happening. My CPU under load is in the 48-51 degree range so I don't think it's overheating. Mobo never reaches any higher than 32. I upgraded my BIOS but nothing changed either. My guess is either vid card, CPU or PSU but I'm not sure how I can single out which one it is. I play an MMO on my weekends off so I'm kind of PO'd that this is happening. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thejuice

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Um..
+12v at 11.6
+5v at 5.0
+3.3v at 3.2
Vcore at 1.6
This is all going off Asus Probe so if there are any other methods to checking, let me know. Thanks for the reply.

thejuice

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
No, my vid card isn't oc'd.

Pat, any specific reasons why you think it's my mobo? It's never gave me problems before, but I'm listening.

Comp restarted 4 times since I posted.. =/

pat

Expert
Asus had some voltage regulator problems before.. that why I think that it could be that, if you are sure that your PSU is good.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!

thejuice

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Well, I cleaned out my case and all I can say is.. wow.
The HSF was really clogged with dust. There was even a little on top the the processor. I cleaned out the HSF and reapplied some Arctic Silver 3. It hasn't completely resolved the problem but my comp has been running for about an hour now with no reboots. I ran Prime95 to watch my voltage and temps and now my CPU runs hotter than usual peaking at 59 celsius with an idle of 38-41. Voltages didn't really jump out of the ordinary. Ran 3dMark03 and didn't get a reboot. So I'm not sure on what it can be. I'm hoping it was just really filthy and needed a good cleaning. I've been researching new mobos/vidcards/CPUs and I kinda want new stuff now, lol. Thanks for the replies, I'm still open for suggestions if any pop into your heads.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I had some background programs that were instaled as a by/product of free screensavers, etc that were causing reboots.

Check system info and msconfig for all running programs and shut some down that look suspicious.

To test CPU, instal one of those test prog that realy work them. If the PC dosn't reboot during the test it must be OK.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

endyen

Splendid
If the hsf was that dirty, did you check the gpu's hsf? You might want to also use a vacuum on your psu. I also use a hair brush, to clean off the mobo, and cards etc. from time to time.

dar_dswd

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I have the same problem as you are.. I checked everything from motherboard, HDD, Memory, and video card..still it restarts on its own when I started using any program. I tried to format and reinstall the OS but on the installation process is reboots and sometimes hang.

When my new unit came I test everything in the new computer except the processor...
When I installed the old processor the new pc started rebooting again by itself and I can't install on OS...
I installed the OS using the new processor with no problems at all...but when I put the old processor again the same thing happened again it reboots by itself...

So my conclusion is the processor is defective...Now I know that there can be a defective processor... =)
If have a remedy for a defective cpu...ehehe cool... =)

New System ------ G31 Board, Intel Core 2 Quad E8200 2.33 Ghz 1333, 2GB DDR2 800, 320GB SATA II, ATI RADEON X1550 HM1GB

You really should check the sodding thread date!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
ThreadNecroCArd.jpg