missing files

Hi group,
I suspect that when I uninstalled a printer, it may have taken some other
files with it.

I'm running WinXP Pro on my Dell P4. Is there a diagnostic I can run to see
if my system is missing any files?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about missing files

    Start > Run > type this: sfc /scannow and have your Win XP CD in your CD
    reader. This will scan your system for the critical files needed to run XP.
    (It will not scan for *all* missing files.) If any critical files are
    missing you will be prompted to get them from the CD.

    Rocky

    "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    > I suspect that when I uninstalled a printer, it may have taken some other
    > files with it.
    >
    > I'm running WinXP Pro on my Dell P4. Is there a diagnostic I can run to
    see
    > if my system is missing any files?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help,
    > Jeff

    Thanks, Rocky.
    I ran that utility and it did not find any critical missing files. (I guess
    that's what it did - it finished, and didn't prompt me to do anything. I'm
    presuming that meant my critical files were intact.)

    Is there a way to scan for *all* files?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > Start > Run > type this: sfc /scannow and have your Win XP CD in your CD
    > reader. This will scan your system for the critical files needed to run
    XP.
    > (It will not scan for *all* missing files.) If any critical files are
    > missing you will be prompted to get them from the CD.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi group,
    > > I suspect that when I uninstalled a printer, it may have taken some
    other
    > > files with it.
    > >
    > > I'm running WinXP Pro on my Dell P4. Is there a diagnostic I can run to
    > see
    > > if my system is missing any files?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your help,
    > > Jeff

    Everyone's installation of Windows can be different, therefore no one knows
    whether a file is really missing or not. And simply replacing a missing file
    may not do any good, anyway.

    The only way to get back all missing files is to reinstall. But why go
    through all that trouble? If you're having a specific problem. let's try to
    solve it.

    > Thanks, Rocky.
    > I ran that utility and it did not find any critical missing files. (I
    guess
    > that's what it did - it finished, and didn't prompt me to do anything. I'm
    > presuming that meant my critical files were intact.)
    >
    > Is there a way to scan for *all* files?
    > Thanks,
    > Jeff
    >

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > Start > Run > type this: sfc /scannow and have your Win XP CD in your CD
    > > reader. This will scan your system for the critical files needed to run
    > XP.
    > > (It will not scan for *all* missing files.) If any critical files are
    > > missing you will be prompted to get them from the CD.
    > >
    > > Rocky
    > >
    > > "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hi group,
    > > > I suspect that when I uninstalled a printer, it may have taken some
    > other
    > > > files with it.
    > > >
    > > > I'm running WinXP Pro on my Dell P4. Is there a diagnostic I can run
    > > see
    > > > if my system is missing any files?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for your help,
    > > > Jeff