Thunderbird on Win 8m 64 bit OS

AW Bowman

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I have downloaded the Thunderbird v.14 on a 64 bit Win 8 system. I seem to work initially and downloads whatever email I have from my gmail account.. Then when restarting it, it jumps up fast and then simply hangs. Selecting any option, from opening an email message to using the tool bar, it goes into a "script not responding' message, or even no message at all until I close out the program..

I have uninstalled it (revo uninstall) and reinstalled it. Cleaned registers, etc. between reinstall (3x), including rebooting (2x). Nothing helps. Note: I also run Dragon Naturally Speaking voice to text program. If this Dragon is NOT running, even the tool bar is initially dimmed, as well as non-responsive, yet the new messages are still downloaded.

Okay, so what gives?

Solution
My guess would be that you have a rather large inbox, and Thunderbird is trying to index all of those messages for faster searching later. Install it again, and you may as well get the latest version 17.0 while you're at it, then just give it an hour or so to do its thing. I'm betting if you leave it alone for a bit, it will start responding on its own again, and that long delay should be a one time thing.

cl-scott

Honorable
My guess would be that you have a rather large inbox, and Thunderbird is trying to index all of those messages for faster searching later. Install it again, and you may as well get the latest version 17.0 while you're at it, then just give it an hour or so to do its thing. I'm betting if you leave it alone for a bit, it will start responding on its own again, and that long delay should be a one time thing.

Solution

AW Bowman

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Thanks, I try that.

AW Bowman

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

If cl-scott's suggestion does not work I move the message to the Win 8 foru.

Thanks