mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ive always heard people talk about the heat that a fan can generate. Up unitl now I have never really taken this very seriously. Using an infrared temp gauge I measured the temps of 2 fans. The first was a ThermalTake 120mm and the second was a very small fan that fits onto a Northbridge. Both sides of the fans were measured for temp changes. Ill refer to the side of the fan that pushes the airflow as the inside and the other simply will be the outside. Both fans produced the most heat on the outside but only by a couple of degrees. Keep in mind that the center region of a fan produces very little airflow. The bulk of the airflow is produced the farther towards the ends of the fans blades and beyond. All temps are in Celsius.

ThermalTake 120mm
Inside of Fan
Room temp- 21.3
Hottest reading- 30.1

Outside of fan
Room temp- 21.3
Hottest reading- 32.0

Fan 2- Northbridge fan
Inside of fan
Room temp- 21.3
Hottest reading- 31.9 :eek:

Outside of fan
Room temp- 21.3
Hottest reading- 34.0

The small Northbridge fan gets around 2C hotter than the big 120mm fan. The main problem with the small fan is that since it is basically the same size as the heatsink then most of the airflow is not even hitting the Northbridge. I still am shocked that the small fan generated the most heat.

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:
Intel 550(3.4)@4.2
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC5300@DDR2 780
ATI X800XL
TT 680W PSU

Lol, you need to research as much as you can about heat generating components with that hotty hot hot hot Processor of yours! :lol:

Got anymore o/c out of it yet?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Yes it is rather hot. I just grilled a steak on my CPU. Overcooked it a bit :tongue:

The OC is going well. I have got the old girl at a stable 4.3 now. Ive been folding for hours and no problems. Its going to kill me when this thing dies :frown: The RAM is at DDR2 780 and spitting out some SiSandra scores that are off the chart. I am waiting on UPS to deliver my waterblock for the video card before pushing it any harder. I was screwing around with the PCIexpress settings yesterday and had the RAM on my video card almost hot enough to glow :eek: I guess that I am going to check on a container for the liquid nitro today. I keep thinking that I will convince myself not to try this, but I probably will do it anyway. Hows school?

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:
Intel 550(3.4)@4.2
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC5300@DDR2 780
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU