New Machine Fill in the blank.

DataCrypt

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
MB - DFI NF4 SLI-DR or ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
RAM - 2GB (Speed,Brand Undecided Recommend?)
Processor - (X/4000/FX55)
BFG 6800 Ultra PCI-E
WD Raptor 74gb
Audigy2

I am deciding on the processor ram and MB to use, I would like to try my hand at an overclock hence the DFI board but I havent overclocked anything thus far.

sharps107

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
for your budget: (about?)

Dfi SLI-DR for sure!!!!
2gb of ocz pc-4000 VX- get it at newegg or monarchcomputer.com
get the 4000+ then run it at 250*10 (2500Mhz) with this:
http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=HS-005
best heatsink for that mobo and mem, hell its the best hs period.
go with your 1 or 2 74gb raptors, thats a good config,
and instead of the bfg 6800 ultra, save yourself some money and get the Leadtek PX6800 GT TDH, it has an all-copper cooler and will run at ultra speeds or higher rock-stable, at about $150 less. get that at monarchcomputer.com
for optical, no better choice than the NEC ND-3520A, and a killer price at about 60 bucks. as far as case, go for whatever you like aesthetically, but i would suggest a case with one 120mm intake and one 120mm outtake.

oh yeah and snag an OCZ ModStream PSU, Cheap and REALLY AWESOME.

Good luck with your system. i have really researched this config to death, almost exactly what youre looking for. enjoy!

-I'm Laughing At It Now-

The_I

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
I can't understand why you're recommending the ThermalRight XP90 and not the XP120 (it's on the same site), as far as I know the latter is more noise-efficient because you can mount a larger fan on it - it's even cheaper because it's aluminium.

I'd go for the Zalman CNPS-7700 myself, but that might be more of a matter of taste. I think they're pretty much on par performance-wise, but the XP-120 might be a better over clocker, as you can mount your whatever fan you like on it.
Here's a link anyway: http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=145&code=
(I'm Danish and don't know anything about American stores, so I can't tell you where to buy it. It's pretty widespread though, at least where I come from.)

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The only reason why I understand is the problem of HSF compatability with the motherboard. Its smaller and it cools on-par if not better that the xp120. Some people are reporting 2C drop over the XP 120. Thats not a huge difference, but for its smaller size (LxWxH), it is the better cooler.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Some people are reporting 2C drop over the XP 120.
That doesn't even begin to make sense. How can you compare them when they have different sized fans? You can't use the same fan because once you put a 120mm fan into the XP120 you're already much better off. And you can't compare different sized fans because they won't have the same airflow. :\ So how can you possibly compare them? :eek:

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>Yes I'm insane, but it's a <font color=blue><i>good</i></font color=blue> kind of <font color=red>crazy</font color=red>. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 184K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Im sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the XP90C (all copper verison). I had ben googling for it and I came across a few forums where users where getting similar if not better results with the XP90C. I'm waiting for an actual review before I go and buy one though.

wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 03/28/05 10:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yes I have high hopes for it as well seeing how it is the only one out of the bunch that will fit my mobo.