CV Home 2.0 ROM "bad for machine"?

Hi All.

I recently bought a Cirqus Voltaire from a reputable dealer, and asked
him to install the V2.0H home ROM in it.

He did as I requested, BUT then he said after he'd trialling it that it
was "damaging the machine" because "for example, the top magnet is
always on". He said he would not warrant the game if I kept that ROM
installed.

So I went back to the official Williams ROM.

What do you all think about the V2.0H ROM? Can it damage your CV?

Thanks,
Virt

Haven't heard of that. You might try a ROM from a different source, or look
up Cameron and email him and ask if that has been a problem. I'm suspecting
you have or had something else going on there. LTG :)

"Virt U Al" <virtual@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All.
>
> I recently bought a Cirqus Voltaire from a reputable dealer, and asked
> him to install the V2.0H home ROM in it.
>
> He did as I requested, BUT then he said after he'd trialling it that it
> was "damaging the machine" because "for example, the top magnet is
> always on". He said he would not warrant the game if I kept that ROM
> installed.
>
> So I went back to the official Williams ROM.
>
> What do you all think about the V2.0H ROM? Can it damage your CV?
>
> Thanks,
> Virt

I haven't had any problem with mine...yet.

Harry
"Virt U Al" <virtual@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All.
>
> I recently bought a Cirqus Voltaire from a reputable dealer, and asked him
> to install the V2.0H home ROM in it.
>
> He did as I requested, BUT then he said after he'd trialling it that it
> was "damaging the machine" because "for example, the top magnet is always
> on". He said he would not warrant the game if I kept that ROM installed.
>
> So I went back to the official Williams ROM.
>
> What do you all think about the V2.0H ROM? Can it damage your CV?
>
> Thanks,
> Virt

if anything, that rom helps keep your cv from getting BLOWN OUT by
having some nice options :)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

I've programmed quite a few of these and have zero complaints so far

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"Virt U Al" <virtual@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi All.
>
> I recently bought a Cirqus Voltaire from a reputable dealer, and asked him
> to install the V2.0H home ROM in it.
>
> He did as I requested, BUT then he said after he'd trialling it that it
> was "damaging the machine" because "for example, the top magnet is always
> on". He said he would not warrant the game if I kept that ROM installed.
>
> So I went back to the official Williams ROM.
>
> What do you all think about the V2.0H ROM? Can it damage your CV?
>
> Thanks,
> Virt

yeah... and when Williams designed this machine, I'm certain they
consulted with this rocket scientist.

Install 2.0 and don't believe everything a dealer tells you.

jdix

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Nonsense. The 2.0 Rom is good for CV. It allows you to release the
ball from the magnet on top of the ringmaster instead of having him
fling the ball onto the playfield. Saves dimples and other breakage.

jdix

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

I do too, but you have the option to disengage it. When he catches the
ball, hold both flippers and it will roll off immediately. You don't
have to do it unless you want to.

I don't think that's the case.

He actually installed the v2 ROM and then called me to say he was
concerned about it.

I know this is true because he forgot to put the reprogrammed ROM (ie
the original Williams ROM) back in the machine before he shipped it to
me :)

I am wondering whether in fact there might be a wiring problem and the
home ROM makes it somehow more apparent.

KME wrote:
> Sounds like a lazy reputable dealer to me.

But I LIKE the way he flings the ball ... one of the coolest features IMHO.

Of course, I haven't had him break a plastic yet, so my opinion on this
may change over time ;-)

JDix wrote:
> I do too, but you have the option to disengage it. When he catches the
> ball, hold both flippers and it will roll off immediately. You don't
> have to do it unless you want to.

Ah. Well I agree, that is a cool and useful feature.

V2.0H ROM here I come :)

Cheers.

I have 2.0 home and like that I can disable the ringmaster plastic
breaking ball fling and also the backbox cannonball. They add nothing
to the game and only tear stuff up. The only part I really don't like
it the Simon game for an EB and the lower number of Neon Multiball
Awards.

K2

I'll just comment that 2.0 is going to do little to save broken
plastics. Flinging the ball off the head a few times per game is not
breaking plastic. The skill shot plastic gets broken when the ball
takes a bit of air after a hard shot ricochets towards it after a hard
flipper shot to the ringmaster head. I suppose the flinging *could*
possibly break plastic, much much more chance breaking in normal play.

I have seen plenty of CV's run 2.0 and not cause harm to the machine.
If the magnet is on all the time, it's more likely the fault of a bad
transistor on the driver board than the software. But I suspect in this
case the dealer is flat out wrong.

If you discover a problem with 2.0, send me a real e-mail address
offline that I can forward on to some WPC-95 pros who could help you out
with this more.

On a side note I'm humored by your statement of "Official Williams ROM".
Have you seen the official ROMs for Getaway? That official pile of
dog puke will damage games like Getaway and destroy their playability.
Luckily for you CV is not a game in this category.

-wolffy