Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Backlit monitor vs a non backlit monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 17, 2011 1:00:47 AM

I'm in the middle of looking for a new monitor. The one we have now is a 17" inch LCD from the early 2000's. Obviously it just can't compete with todays monitors it uses a old VGA connection and only goes 1280X1024 which isn't even close to high def. So here are my questions:

What is the difference between a backlit monitor and a non backlit monitor?

Does a higher contrast ratio mean you will get a better picture?

Best solution

a c 195 C Monitor
December 18, 2011 5:55:35 PM

All LCD monitors have backlight, otherwise you will not be able to see the images on the screen.

Currently there are monitors with CCFL (florescent) backlight and LED backlight (which is newer). Higher contrast ratio doesn't always mean better picture and there are two types of contrast ratios. Static contrast ratio is the older and truer method; most TN and IPS panel monitors have up to 1000:1 static contrast ratios, while PVA panel monitors can have up to 4000:1. Generally speaking, the higher the contrast ratio, the darker black will be compared to other colors.

Dynamic contrast ratio is the newer method and also very misleading since the ratios tends to be advertised as much as 2,000,000:1. What basically happens is that the backlight's brightness automatically adjusts itself based on what appears on the screen. The darker the color tones, the dimmer the backlight will be. The brighter the colors, the brighter the backlight will be. I personally find dynamic contrast annoying so I switch it off on my HDTV and my Asus 24" VK246H monitor (my other monitors don't have it).

For more info about LCD tech read the following:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm
December 18, 2011 8:28:35 PM

jaguarskx said:
All LCD monitors have backlight, otherwise you will not be able to see the images on the screen.

Currently there are monitors with CCFL (florescent) backlight and LED backlight (which is newer). Higher contrast ratio doesn't always mean better picture and there are two types of contrast ratios. Static contrast ratio is the older and truer method; most TN and IPS panel monitors have up to 1000:1 static contrast ratios, while PVA panel monitors can have up to 4000:1. Generally speaking, the higher the contrast ratio, the darker black will be compared to other colors.

Dynamic contrast ratio is the newer method and also very misleading since the ratios tends to be advertised as much as 2,000,000:1. What basically happens is that the backlight's brightness automatically adjusts itself based on what appears on the screen. The darker the color tones, the dimmer the backlight will be. The brighter the colors, the brighter the backlight will be. I personally find dynamic contrast annoying so I switch it off on my HDTV and my Asus 24" VK246H monitor (my other monitors don't have it).

For more info about LCD tech read the following:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

I actually meant to delete this and attatch it to the other thread instead of taking up space with 10 different threads/ Thanks I actually looked it up and read alot anout it. I'm not really seeing to many CFFL back lit anyway most seem to be LED. Either way I'm sticking with the newer, and probably better LED technology. From what I've read it seems to last longer and be just better then the old CCFL.
m
l
December 18, 2011 8:28:41 PM

Best answer selected by RDS1220.
m
l
!