Changing User Name

January 5, 2005 7:54:36 PM

Giving wife old Sony Clie. How do I change user name (mine) to a new user
name( hers) to log in and hot sync with correct user data. Thanks

More about : changing user

January 6, 2005 3:59:35 AM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:54:36 -0600, "Gendron" <Gendron@cox.net> wrote:

>Giving wife old Sony Clie. How do I change user name (mine) to a new user
>name( hers) to log in and hot sync with correct user data. Thanks

Hard Reset. Makes the unit "look" like "new" to the Desktop software.
The desktop application will ask you to name the device when it first
connects to a "blanked" unit.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:21:10 AM

In article <41dc8d37.2147622@news.argolink.net>, Ask me and I will tell
you. wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:54:36 -0600, "Gendron" <Gendron@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Giving wife old Sony Clie. How do I change user name (mine) to a new user
> >name( hers) to log in and hot sync with correct user data. Thanks
>
> Hard Reset. Makes the unit "look" like "new" to the Desktop software.
> The desktop application will ask you to name the device when it first
> connects to a "blanked" unit.

Don't have to go that far.

Go to www.palmone.com and do a search in the Support section for "change
user name."
Related resources
January 6, 2005 9:25:58 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 01:21:10 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

>In article <41dc8d37.2147622@news.argolink.net>, Ask me and I will tell
>you. wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:54:36 -0600, "Gendron" <Gendron@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Giving wife old Sony Clie. How do I change user name (mine) to a new user
>> >name( hers) to log in and hot sync with correct user data. Thanks
>>
>> Hard Reset. Makes the unit "look" like "new" to the Desktop software.
>> The desktop application will ask you to name the device when it first
>> connects to a "blanked" unit.
>
>Don't have to go that far.
>
>Go to www.palmone.com and do a search in the Support section for "change
>user name."

Good advice, but be careful... simply changing the user name will
cause all the data in the unit to be reproduced and/or added to any
existing information. Very messy to clean up. :)
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:03:05 PM

In article <41dcd9ad.6078026@news.argolink.net>, Ask me and I will tell
you. wrote:

> Good advice, but be careful... simply changing the user name will
> cause all the data in the unit to be reproduced and/or added to any
> existing information. Very messy to clean up. :)

How do you figure that? Different user name, different user database ...
My Desktop has no problem keeping two user names and their respective
databases separate.
January 7, 2005 6:12:50 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:03:05 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

>In article <41dcd9ad.6078026@news.argolink.net>, Ask me and I will tell
>you. wrote:
>
>> Good advice, but be careful... simply changing the user name will
>> cause all the data in the unit to be reproduced and/or added to any
>> existing information. Very messy to clean up. :)
>
>How do you figure that? Different user name, different user database ...
>My Desktop has no problem keeping two user names and their respective
>databases separate.

Where I was working last year, one of the "network professionals" in
the group, was messing around with the user name change prc file and
changed the name on his unit. When he went to do a Hotsync, he
"forgot" that he had been messing around with the utility. He managed
to get the Desktop application to combine the contents from his
existing desktop with the contents from the "new" Palm. I have tried
to reproduce the effect with results that are not consistent and as
such I don't make the recommendation to simply change the user name.
The Palm Desktop Help outlines the "correct" method for wiping and
re-establishing a new user so I distribute that method. I hate giving
advice that can cause other people headaches. It's safer to establish
a new, blank user/device and then import the information required to
the new system.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:21:20 AM

In article <41ddfca1.3293589@news.argolink.net>, Ask me and I will tell
you. wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:03:05 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:
>
> >In article <41dcd9ad.6078026@news.argolink.net>, Ask me and I will tell
> >you. wrote:
> >
> >> Good advice, but be careful... simply changing the user name will
> >> cause all the data in the unit to be reproduced and/or added to any
> >> existing information. Very messy to clean up. :)
> >
> >How do you figure that? Different user name, different user database ...
> >My Desktop has no problem keeping two user names and their respective
> >databases separate.
>
> Where I was working last year, one of the "network professionals" in
> the group, was messing around with the user name change prc file and
> changed the name on his unit. When he went to do a Hotsync, he
> "forgot" that he had been messing around with the utility. He managed
> to get the Desktop application to combine the contents from his
> existing desktop with the contents from the "new" Palm. I have tried
> to reproduce the effect with results that are not consistent and as
> such I don't make the recommendation to simply change the user name.
> The Palm Desktop Help outlines the "correct" method for wiping and
> re-establishing a new user so I distribute that method. I hate giving
> advice that can cause other people headaches. It's safer to establish
> a new, blank user/device and then import the information required to
> the new system.

Understood. But your colleague sounds like he was "messing around" with
code and then made an additional mistake. Changing a user name is not that
risky done with the Desktop GUI.
January 7, 2005 6:31:11 AM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:21:20 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

>In article <41ddfca1.3293589@news.argolink.net>, Ask me and I will tell
>you. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:03:05 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

>> >How do you figure that? Different user name, different user database ...
>> >My Desktop has no problem keeping two user names and their respective
>> >databases separate.
>>
>> Where I was working last year, one of the "network professionals" in
>> the group, was messing around with the user name change prc file and
>> changed the name on his unit. When he went to do a Hotsync, he
>> "forgot" that he had been messing around with the utility. He managed
>> to get the Desktop application to combine the contents from his
>> existing desktop with the contents from the "new" Palm. I have tried
>> to reproduce the effect with results that are not consistent and as
>> such I don't make the recommendation to simply change the user name.
>> The Palm Desktop Help outlines the "correct" method for wiping and
>> re-establishing a new user so I distribute that method. I hate giving
>> advice that can cause other people headaches. It's safer to establish
>> a new, blank user/device and then import the information required to
>> the new system.
>
>Understood. But your colleague sounds like he was "messing around" with
>code and then made an additional mistake. Changing a user name is not that
>risky done with the Desktop GUI.

Between you, me, and the fence pole, you are right. Sometimes I treat
the posters to this group as newbs when they are perhaps fully capable
of managing simple instructions. My example was unusual and the guy I
referenced was a jerk-like troublemaker. :)
Usually right after Christmas, this group fills with new-owners and
the questions they ask can sometimes bring out my picky-ass
personality... I really need to get a grip on that. :)
Thanks for not roasting me a new one. :)

Phil
!