Tags:
  • Configuration
  • NTFS
  • Permissions
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 23, 2010 8:19:27 PM

This may betray my ignorance, but here goes:

My hard drive has two partitions. The second partition - D - contains only data files (documents, pictures, etc.)

My computer has 3 users - myself and two others. I am an Administrator and the other two are Standard Users.

The root of D has three folders:
D:\user1 (that's me)
D:\user2
D:\user3

The NTFS permissions on each user's folders are as follows:
Administrators - Full Control
SYSTEM - Full Control
user - Full Control

This prevents the Standard Users from accessing anyone else's data but their own, while maintaining the right of Administrators (like me) to access everybody's data.

So far, so good. Now here's my problem:

The NTFS permissions on the root of D (only) are as follows:
Administrators - Full Control
SYSTEM - Full Control
Authenticated Users - Read and Execute

If Authenticated Users does not have NTFS permissions on the root of D, I am denied access to D, even though I am an Administrator. If I double-click on the drive icon I get an 'Access Denied' message. However, if Authenticated Users is included in the NTFS permissions, I can open D by double-clicking on the drive icon.

Why can't I access the root of D as an Administrator ... why does Authenticated Users need permissions?

More about : authenticated users ntfs permissions

April 25, 2010 11:01:17 PM

Problem is solved...I needed to learn more about how permissions are set. All taken care of.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 26, 2010 5:06:31 AM

I'm curious to know what you did, as from your description of the problem I couldn't understand what you were doing wrong...
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2012 11:09:26 PM

Bulldog17 said:
Problem is solved...I needed to learn more about how permissions are set. All taken care of.

I'm dying to know what the answer is. I have a similar issue.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2012 1:08:40 AM

I'll bet there was a 'deny' in there somewhere.
m
l
June 15, 2013 8:18:01 PM

Recently I saw the same behavior described by Bulldog17. How can be that an Administrator can not access a folder with an explicit ACE giving him Full control? No inherited Deny could explain it as I learned from documentation!

Unluckily Bulldog17 gave no feedback far from 2010. Shame on you! If you see this post again, give the feedback.

I don't know the reason for his case but mine was very simple. Who was the folder's Owner? SYSTEM! I just took ownership (Administrators group) and removed the Authenticated Users entry. It worked as expected.

Cheers.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2013 11:18:36 PM

You make an interesting point but without actually asking a question or saying whether you still have a problem. This old thread is now being closed so if you do have a question, please start a new thread.
m
l
!