arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i just finished building my new pc i still have to install software which i `m waiting to get from newegg. but this thing is quietier than my old pc so i was wondering if i should (or if it was even possible) to clock down my old pc and remove most of the fans? i`m only going to be using this pc for the internet/dvd back-ups/mp3 playback so i think i could probably run it at 2ghz and be totally fine
what do you think? it is a pentium 4 2.4ghz and an intel mb
so i`m not even sure if i could alter it?

are you going to bark all day little doggie?
or are you going to bite?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Is that a 2.4A or a 2.4C? If C, then it's probably quite simple. Just drop the FSB. If it's A ... then I think you're probably screwed.

Though maybe you can try lowering the voltage. Even without underclocking that itself can drop your temps. Just make sure not to go so far down that your system gets unstable. :)

Of course you can always try modding your fans to lower their RPMs too. I don't remember the particulars, but I've heard talk of a simple way to do that by just playing with the wiring. I'm sure someone here (probably Crashman) can give better instructions on that. ;) Or you could try doing a search of the forums for it.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, you forgot the B and the previous A. There's 2 completely different 2.4A's, a 2.4B, and a 2.4C.

Not as bad as the SIX(!) PIII 600's though.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hehe, you forgot the B and the previous A. There's 2 completely different 2.4A's, a 2.4B, and a 2.4C.
There was a 2.4B? Wow. I wouldn't have thought that the math would have worked out right, but you're right, it does. I'll be damned. :O

So yeah, a B or C can be FSB underclocked. An A is still screwed.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

endyen

Splendid
I think there's a 133 prescott A as well as the original 100/400 P4a. You could underclock the prescott a, except that mobo probably doesn't support it. Not that that would help, you really need to undervolt, and Intel mobos dont generally support that either.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Prescott 2.4A is a 533 bus CPU, the Northwood 2.4A is a 400 bus CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember when I got that 2.4B with an Intel 850E board and 512MB of PC1066 for $150 over 2 years ago? And then the AMD fanboys were telling me I would have saved money with an AMD settup? LOL.

$150?! That was a great deal!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No kidding!

LOL - Ok, I'll curb my enthusiasm...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Prescott 2.4A is a 533 bus CPU, the Northwood 2.4A is a 400 bus CPU.
Can a Prescott A be underclocked? I mean in theory it shouldn't be any harder than underclocking a Northwood. But I'd be surprised if Intel hasn't locked a few things like that by now. :\ Intel seems to be rather unfriendly to enthusiasts. Not that AMD has the greatest track record there either. Heh heh.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
My P4B runs perfectly fine going from 133 (2.8) to 100 (2.0) fsb. I set it to 100 when I go away from long periods of time just to make sure heat never gets hi at all.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, and my Soyo board allows you to drop vCore as well, but who knows for certain what effect that would have with the Prescott's variable vCore.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Completely WRONG, I used it for a year, then put it in an old case with a cheap used power supply and CD-ROM, and sold the combination for $300 after the year of use. Whoever bought it must have had their own hard drive.