CPU unworkable or has changed????

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I just put a new system together with an ABIT IS7-E2 mobo and a pentium 3.0e
WHen i boot the computer i get this:
CPU is unworkable or has changed. press f1 to continue or delete to enter setup.

If i hit F1 the computer works great. Installed XP pro no prob but just get that stupid warning at the beginning. Any ideas please.
I went into bios in the cpu softmenu and have no clue what im lookin at.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I <i>would</i> answer this, but then I did a simple google of <i>CPU is unworkable or has changed</i> and came up with some blatantly obvious and simple things to try that seem to solve most people's problems. So I have to wonder, have you even tried searching for a solution on your own yet? What have you done to trry and solve your problem?

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you try simply going into BIOS and then saving the settings when you left? Some boards want you to enter BIOS just to save changes you didn't even make (the board made them on it's own).

Otherwise, you might try getting a BIOS update.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Well, where should i start?
Messed with bios settings, Bios recognizes the cpu for what it is. Tried making the cpu setting user defined but will not let me change.
Tried clearing cmos, NO GO.
Updating the bios on this mobo is a joke. Tried using the Flashmenu program to do one click update but it tells me that the flash program is older and wont work and to download newer version. Well, i did and it tells me the same thing. If i download the newest version from the website(which the website itself takes forever and ever to load, another joke) Why does it tell me that its an older version and to download new version.
Other than that, i dont know what else to try.
And yes i tried doing a search or why else would i be here.I guess i should have mentioned all that in the first place huh? Or else i wouldnt have gotten such Intellectual responses. Must have taken Higgs and flanders hours and hours to come up with those responses.
Everyone says the same thing about the bios and some say the cpu could be bad. Well if cpu is bad how can computer work fine when hitting F1?

If you want a good answer then you need to provide as many details as you can about the situation, including what you've done so far. Don't try to throw blame from your lackluster description of your situation onto the other posters. Could they have asked for details nicer - yes, but it was your post that illicited their response.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
First, yes you should <i>always</i> mention anything that you've already tried right from the beginning. It goes right up there with hardware specs.

Second, have you <i>actually</i> managed to flash your BIOS? You didn't make it clear if you accomplished this or not. This is <i>the</i> number one suggestion from other people having this problem.

Third, who has suggested that the CPU could be bad? Other than the initial complaintants worried that such might be the case, I didn't see anyone suggesting that as an actual cause in any of my searching.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
I would answer this, but then I did a simple google of CPU is unworkable or has changed and came up with some blatantly obvious and simple things to try that seem to solve most people's problems. So I have to wonder, have you even tried searching for a solution on your own yet? What have you done to trry and solve your problem?
I did lol at this.

But seriously, anytime you run into a computer-related issue, I bet 80%+ of the time a simple google groups search will at least get you in the right direction... or seems so for me.

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Well, i was finally able to update the bios. I found a newer version of flashmenu program but unfortunately it did not solve the problem.
I tried loading defaults but no go. I cant even change bus speeds or whatnot. I guess the multiplier is locked and i dont think its unlockable either.
My next step is to call Abit.
And whoever it was that said the cpu might be bad was either from the Abit forums or one of the many forums i browsed. But basically all the forums ive read had to deal with bios. Only thing i havent tried yet is manually flashing bios.
I appreciate all your help and next time i will be more thorough in my posts.
Thanks All.

Try removing your HSF and CPU. Reseat the CPU and mount the HSF. When you boot go into the BIOS and select "Load Optimized Defaults."

TRENDING THREADS