Basic Flash Memory query

I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a
working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
that I can use with my Gateway.

I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash memory
device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?

I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be the
cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)? Also, does it act just like an
extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
command prompt?

I always appreciate the help I get on this newsgroup. I know people bitch
about Dell Tech Support. I haven't used them. I think this group is a
tremendous resource!

Mel
4 answers Last reply
More about basic flash memory query

    One addition: My Gateway uses W98; the Dell us XP Home.

    Mel
    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has
    > working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my
    Dell,
    > that I can use with my Gateway.
    >
    > I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash
    memory
    > device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?
    >
    > I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway,
    > have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be
    the
    > cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)? Also, does it act just like
    an
    > extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
    > command prompt?
    >

    > I always appreciate the help I get on this newsgroup. I know people bitch
    > about Dell Tech Support. I haven't used them. I think this group is a
    > tremendous resource!
    >
    > Mel

    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a
    > working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
    > that I can use with my Gateway.

    Depending on which version of win98 you have, you *may* have problems
    with USB devices.

    The cheaper and probably easier method might be to pick up a cheap
    network card and a crossover cable and simply link them together !

    SanDisk is the leading manufacturer of flash memory cards of all shapes and
    sizes. Compact flash works nicely and USB reader/writer devices are cheap and
    easy. But I concur that a 10/100 crossover cable works best. If the Gateway
    does not have a network card, get and install one. They, too, are cheap and
    easy... Ben Myers

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> writes:
    > I have a Dell Dim 2400 (P4). I also have a 6-year old Gateway (P3). It has a
    > working USB port. I would like some easy way to back up files from my Dell,
    > that I can use with my Gateway.
    >
    > I have been using Intellimover. That works fine, but wouldn't a flash memory
    > device (say 256 meg with a USB connection) work easier?
    >
    > I have never used flash memory, so if it would work with my older Gateway, I
    > have some questions: Is there any specific brand (if so, what would be the
    > cost and should I just look for it on EBAY)? Also, does it act just like an
    > extra drive (say like E: drive) that I can access via Explorer or the
    > command prompt?

    I can't speak for the Gateway W98, but for a Dell with XP, the USB
    Flash just looks like a disk drive. Drag n' drop from Explorer works
    fine.

    I doubt there's much difference between brands. With sales and
    rebates, I doubt you'll save much on Ebay. Circuit City has 128 mbyte
    Kingston for $20.

    One difference is that a USB 2.0 drive will be faster and slightly
    more expensive than a USB 1.?. I didn't care, but if you're moving
    gbytes, you might.

Dell Flash Memory Gateway Computers