Need your experience for 2 HD setup XP & 98

buletbugs

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
Hi,

I've been trying the last 2 weeks to set up these 2 HD' to no avail. Numerous people have sent me messages but nothing is working. Finally this is how far I've gotten.

I have gateway 1.7 mgz intel system.

I have new HD from gateway and I put in old HD MAXTOR

If I plug in each HD separate and start up both work fine.
The new HD system has WINXP on it.
The old HD has win98 on it.
As I said...plugging them in by themselves and starting up they both work perfectly by themselves.

Now....

When I start up XP...the computer asks me..do you want to start...

WIN 98 or
WIN XP

Obviously XP see both HD's. I installed a BOOTCHOOSER freeware and it's asks what system I want. If I choose XP it works fine. But...when I choose WIN98 I get this message.

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem.
could not read from the boot disk.
check boot .. and disk hardware
please check the window documentation about hard ware disk configuring your hardware reference manuals for addition info

okay..now in the bios i have....set
the new XP HD as primary master
the old WIN98 as primary slave.

the jumpers on XP is set for MASTER DUAL DRIVE
the jumpers on 98 is set for Primary SLAVE

Now..right now in order to get to WIN 98 I have to go into the BIOS setup and change the booting of HD to

the old 98 to boot first and XP to boot second.
The jumpers still stay the same.

Now...win 98 will start....that way.
But...win 98 does not recognized the WIN xP drive.

I tried the ADD HARDWARE..still no good.

I can't get win 98 to see the WIN XP from I start it from
win 98

Why do I have to go into the bios to set which HD to boot first in order to get to where I want to go?

The BOOTCHOOSER should let me go there byitself.

WHAT IS WRONG?
WHAT IS WRONG?
WHAT IS WRONG?

HELP ME PLEASE!

Buletbugs

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Win98 will not "see" ntfs. Any partitions you want to access in win98 needs to be fat32.

You don't have to go the bios to choose the boot of choise. Simply hit escape key prior to boot. You should see a list of drives to boot from. This is better than going into the bios but not as convenient as an auto boot-loader, xp or otherwise.

If you really want the xp boot loader, try reinstalling win98 first, then xp. Also, try the drives on separate channels to eliminate the worries of slave and master issues (not sure if should make a difference).

I did the above and it worked fine. I did notice if I physically swapped channels after installation, one or the other os failed to boot except in safe mode.

BTW, you don't need a bootchooser if xp is the primary boot, since it has its own boot loader.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I had 2 drives also and wanted to have an OS on each. I had the same prob about booting, how to make it simple. I think what you need is a "cable select". If you have 1 drive with 2 partitions you can just use WInXPs boot chooser or any boot chooser program you like but when it comes to 2 HDD and you want to choose on which HDD to boot it's a different case coz now the booting process is external. It is not between OS's in 1 HDD but 2 OS in two HDD. GO search the ent about guides regarding this. I believe I acquired this knowledge on some websites using google or yahoo search.