Hi.

I cant decide if Theater of Magic is a good game beside my Pinball Magic?

I have PM, Cftbl and Whirlwind in my gameroom.
I have the possibility to trade my beautiful and fully working Whirlwind and
390 USD, for a ToM in very good condition.

I know the price is higher on ToM so the deal is good, Money doesnt matter
in this case.
I wonder if it´s a good trade when I allready have Pinball Magic.
They are very different in gameplay I know, but the theme is the same.

Anyone having both?

Any comment is highly appreciated.

/Stefan Ljungstrom

Only good place for ToM is FS on Mr Pinball...

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=====================================

Pinballark wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I cant decide if Theater of Magic is a good game beside my Pinball Magic?

If you are a good player you will tire of ToM's bland finale. It's fun
getting there but the end of the game is kind of a letdown. I love the
sounds and the shots.. I dislike that you can just time out the modes
without penalty.

still one day i'll have another as i've sold mine (only pin i kinda
regret selling) ..but in smaller collections i would go with something
deeper.

dont you have enough magic already? how about a different theme? ;)

-c

LIke Craig said, ToM is a great game and lots of fun, but it is easy to
get to the wizard mode and it is disappointing. I loved the game, loved
the theme, loved the sounds, etc, but eventually decided it wasn't for
me as it got too easy (even with extra ball set to over 1 billion).
Still, I enjoy playing it at my friend's house :) and that made it
easier to sell. If you aren't a good player then you might not mind the
Grande Final as you won't see it often ;-) Personally I prefer ToM to
PM, but that's me. Also, I hate CFTBL (had one) and would sell that
before I selling/trading a nice Whirlwind.

Keep the Whirlwind for now. A game you might consider is TZ. Awesome
game with lots of modes and a very fun wizard mode. I imagine you could
find someone willing to do a similar trade as TZs are everywhere :).

Duane

alex

Pinballark wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I cant decide if Theater of Magic is a good game beside my Pinball Magic?
>
> I have PM, Cftbl and Whirlwind in my gameroom.
> I have the possibility to trade my beautiful and fully working Whirlwind and
> 390 USD, for a ToM in very good condition.
>
> I know the price is higher on ToM so the deal is good, Money doesnt matter
> in this case.
> I wonder if it´s a good trade when I allready have Pinball Magic.
> They are very different in gameplay I know, but the theme is the same.
>
> Anyone having both?
>
> Any comment is highly appreciated.
>
> /Stefan Ljungstrom

I'd keep the Whirlwind, you will get sick of that TOM in no time.

I understand about the trunk.

No one can deny the smoothness and flow of TOM. It is a masterpiece! If
your playstyle is greared twards "flow" then TOM is one of the best
games ever made. If you want "stop and shot" it is not for you.

I think CV is worse than TOM if you want to talk about hitting
something. In CV you can basically keep hitting the Ringmaster and beat
all the modes.. The wizard modes are good, but still.

"Pinballark" <stefan@pinballark.com> wrote in message
> I cant decide if Theater of Magic is a good game beside my Pinball Magic?
I used to really really like ToM. Based on just a handful of plays at the
arcade it was my favorite Papadiuk game. Then swapped with a friend and got
one into my home. After about 2 days it has quickly fallen to my least
favorite of his pin. Below even WCS, and I hate soccer as a theme. So, why
don't I like it?

1) Very lame skill shot (hit the trunk).
2) Boring modes that can (and should, if you want to make grand finale) be
timed out. Start them by ... hitting the trunk. 2 of the 8 modes feature
..... hit the trunk.
3) Shoot the left orbit 7 times to start a hurry up that requires you to
..... hit the trunk.
4) Shoot the right orbit 12 times to start a mode that requires you to ....
hit the trunk.
5) Start trunk multiball where you get to hit the trunk to light a jackpot
at, you guessed it, the trunk.
6) Hit the captive ball to start multiball where all you can do is shoot the
captive ball.

None of this would be all that horrible if the trunk weren't a nasty drain
hazard, and if the stupid hall sensor would work reliably.

Then, add the frustration of the outlane magnets which half the time can't
save the ball from a drain (no software virtual kickback either). The
non-functioning poof target and useless inlanes. I think on the default
rule setting you can get to grand finale without ever shooting the right
ramp either (or any ramp if you do a secret lock).

The spirit ring is neat for about a day, then ceases to amuse. Probably
less interesting if you have spent much time on a ToTaN previously.

And lastly, the sound fx are just corny.

PM, despite my occional complaints about software bugs that may or may not
exist, is far better, despite the linearity.

Andy

Pinman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003

COULDN'T AGREE MORE! I kept mine all of 3 weeks. It was a nice one too.

"Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote in message

> Only good place for ToM is FS on Mr Pinball...
>
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
>

> Pinballark wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I cant decide if Theater of Magic is a good game beside my Pinball Magic?

Ok thanx folks!
Your comments are kinda variated, but I think I agree to that ToM is a very
good game if it´s on the arkade.
As a homepin I prefer WW after all.

Thanks again.

/Stefan