AMD Question ?

dinoshan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
I know you guys must have seen this question many times, but pls help me to make a buying decision.

I'd like to know

Are AMD processors HT abled like P4's?
If so from which model does it start with?
What model starts with Quiet Cool?
I'd like to get something equivalent to P4 3.0, so what should i go for?
Nothing expensive cos i'm looking to upgrade to dual core processor in a year's time.
So what I need is basically a overclockable board, the processor and recommended cooler. I believe amd has no stock cooler right?

Thanks for the info in advance.

NO
All AMD64's.

And it is Cool and Quiet

AMD64 3000+
Nothing expensive cos i'm looking to upgrade to dual core processor in a year's time.
GET SOCKET 939 - All you will need is a BIOS update, and you can stick a dual core straight in there.

So what I need is basically a overclockable board, the processor and recommended cooler. I believe amd has no stock cooler right?

MSI Neo Plat 2, AMD64 3000/3200+, and you are Wrong - Retail AMD's do have a stock cooler

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
AMD cpu's dont' do Hyperthreading (HT).

I believe all Athlon64 CPUs have Cool&Quiet.

The 3000+ is probably what you should consider. "Equivelant to a P4 3.0" depends on what you plan to do with the system. For general office work, a 3000+ is generally a touch faster than a P4 3.0. For gaming, the 3000+ is noticeably faster. However for most video encoding tasks (not editing or burning, the encoding part) the P4 is faster.

Boxed AMD's come with a pretty good stock cooler - good for mild overclocking. For better cooling yet, the Zalman 7000/7700 or Thermaltake XP90/XP120 is generally the best.

Since you want to upgrade to dual core you need a socket 939 motherboard and CPU. If you are also getting a new video card, Get an nForce4-based board and a PCIe video card. If you want to use an existing AGP card, then an nForce3 board is your best bet. Abit, Asus, DFI, and others all make good boards, and I think the DFI is the best overclocker there is. Others can overclock as well, just not to the extreem level the DFI is capable of.

For overclocking, many like the 3200+ because of the x10 multiplier, but both should overclock nicely.

Mike.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
All you will need is a BIOS update, and you can stick a dual core straight in there.
AMD still hasn't convinced me of this. Theoretically this will probably be true, but like so many SocketA owners have found in the past, realisticly some BIOSs don't get updated, sometimes hardware restrictions prevent it from working anyway, and some times power specifications prevent it from working.

While Intel's preference to change the socket every time they can isn't exactly ideal, neither has been AMD's claim of one socket fits all when in actuality many products from different sides of a process change won't work together regardless of the same socket being involved.

So I have yet to be convinced that upgrades to dual core CPUs with existing (and especially first generation) Socket 939 mobos will go as smoothly as many seem to think. I'd actually sooner believe Socket 940.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
AMD still hasn't convinced me of this. Theoretically this will probably be true, but like so many SocketA owners have found in the past, realisticly some BIOSs don't get updated, sometimes hardware restrictions prevent it from working anyway, and some times power specifications prevent it from working.
I'm pretty sure that all S939 mobo will get a dual-core BIOS update, because there is NO difference between dual and single core from a "motherboard" perspective. Same FSB speed, same pinout, similar power requirements, etc...

SocketA have so much flavor of FSB speed and power requirement, it's what have limited old SocketA board to support latest CPU. newer Athlon XP require 200MHz FSB, which is impossible for 133 and most 166MHz chipsets.

And we must not forget that BIOS upgrade cna be pushed by users too. I personally add a comment about DUAL-CPU upgrade in ALL my email communication with Gigabyte regarding my motherboard. If users want something, companies will put ressources to give what users want.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Firefox</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
In general I agree, and I think that likely for <i>most</i> it should go smoothly. I'm just not 100% convinced that it'll be perfectly simple and work for <i>everyone</i>.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

pat

Expert
NO

All AMD64's.

And it is Cool and Quiet

AMD64 3000+

GET SOCKET 939 - All you will need is a BIOS update, and you can stick a dual core straight in there.

MSI Neo Plat 2, AMD64 3000/3200+, and you are Wrong - Retail AMD's do have a stock cooler

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

LOL - it was trickery i tell ya. Pat would never let MSI come out as a recommendation - Never! :lol:

<pre>Quick - edit your post and uncheck mark as edited!</pre><p>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I'm pretty confident it will! I'm en eternal optimist!

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Firefox</A>

pat

Expert
No.. I wont edit, and even if I dont recommend MSI, this forum in now boring, so I will start recommend Asus, ECS or MSI so we"ll finally have some interresting stuff posted here...

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Only in Tom's Hardware do you the same question answered the same way multiple times by several different people. At least we know there's consensus. =)

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.