Spyware is destroying my Dell 8250

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 12, 2004 4:42:47 AM

Hi All: My Dell has been plagued for months with this lousey spyware.
I used Adaware to get ridd of a lot of stuff but now I get an error :

Error loading C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program
Files\CONFLICT.1\bridge.dll
The Spevified module could not be found

What the hell is this?
Anyone know?

Rob
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:42:48 AM

Try this site. You can download the bridge.dll file and it includes
instructions on getting rid of the bridge.dll problem.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?bridg...

Regards,
John O.

"Finite Guy" <finitetheelement.guy@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi All: My Dell has been plagued for months with this lousey spyware.
> I used Adaware to get ridd of a lot of stuff but now I get an error :
>
> Error loading C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program
> Files\CONFLICT.1\bridge.dll
> The Spevified module could not be found
>

> What the hell is this?
> Anyone know?
>
> Rob
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:56:57 AM

Give CWShredder a go.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html#c...

"Finite Guy" <finitetheelement.guy@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi All: My Dell has been plagued for months with this lousey spyware.
> I used Adaware to get ridd of a lot of stuff but now I get an error :
>
> Error loading C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program
> Files\CONFLICT.1\bridge.dll
> The Spevified module could not be found
>

> What the hell is this?
> Anyone know?
>
> Rob
July 12, 2004 4:57:07 AM

Download and run Hijackthis. Remove the BHO (Browser Hijack Object) for
bridge.dll.

Download Spybot 1.3, install its most recent updates, run it, and delete
everything it finds... Ben Myers

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:42:47 GMT, Finite Guy <finitetheelement.guy@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Hi All: My Dell has been plagued for months with this lousey spyware.
>I used Adaware to get ridd of a lot of stuff but now I get an error :
>
>Error loading C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program
>Files\CONFLICT.1\bridge.dll
>The Spevified module could not be found
>

>What the hell is this?
>Anyone know?
>
>Rob
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 5:05:11 AM

Thank You All:
Did it and got rid of the virus or whate ever the hell it was.

Bob
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:57:07 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Download and run Hijackthis. Remove the BHO (Browser Hijack Object) for
>bridge.dll.
>
>Download Spybot 1.3, install its most recent updates, run it, and delete
>everything it finds... Ben Myers
>
>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:42:47 GMT, Finite Guy <finitetheelement.guy@verizon.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi All: My Dell has been plagued for months with this lousey spyware.
>>I used Adaware to get ridd of a lot of stuff but now I get an error :
>>
>>Error loading C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program
>>Files\CONFLICT.1\bridge.dll
>>The Spevified module could not be found
>>

>>What the hell is this?
>>Anyone know?
>>
>>Rob
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:20:45 PM

> Thank You All:
> Did it and got rid of the virus or whate ever the hell it was.

Congrats - now get a firewall, stop using lookOut as an email program,
and find another browser to use - block IE at the firewall :-p

July 12, 2004 9:20:46 PM

You hit it right on the nail. I don't use Outlook but my daughter does
sometimes. Also, I have downloaded Mozzila (Fire Fox) for a browser
but occassionally I go back to my old habits with ie. I guess I should
remove ie or the shrotcut to it. I do have a router so I think the
firewall is okay.
Thanks agian. I'm, always amazed that everytime I have a probelm with
this machine, I find that I am not alone. If I do a goolge search on
the symptoms, someone else has had the probelm at least a day or two
before me.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:20:45 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> Thank You All:
>> Did it and got rid of the virus or whate ever the hell it was.
>
>Congrats - now get a firewall, stop using lookOut as an email program,
>and find another browser to use - block IE at the firewall :-p
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 10:02:05 PM

> I do have a router so I think the firewall is okay.

You`ll be NAT`d from the outside world then, but that won`t stop assorted
nasties from getting OUT from your machine.

A software firewall should help that by asking before letting anything
out.

I use ZoneAlarm personally and have done since v1.x and i`m not actually
that impressed with any of the newer versions. The newest v5.x should be
avoided *at the moment* due to ongoing problems as reported all over the
place ! (although i`m sure it will be sorted eventually)

July 12, 2004 10:02:06 PM

Colin Wilson wrote:

> > I do have a router so I think the firewall is okay.
>
> You`ll be NAT`d from the outside world then, but that won`t stop assorted
> nasties from getting OUT from your machine.
>
> A software firewall should help that by asking before letting anything
> out.
>
> I use ZoneAlarm personally and have done since v1.x and i`m not actually
> that impressed with any of the newer versions. The newest v5.x should be
> avoided *at the moment* due to ongoing problems as reported all over the
> place ! (although i`m sure it will be sorted eventually)

Just out of curiosity, what problems?

Notan
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 10:02:07 PM

Notan wrote:
<In regards to Colin Wilson's recommendation to stay away from ZoneAlarm
v5.x for now, due to problems>

> Just out of curiosity, what problems?
>
> Notan

A lot of people are reporting that the v5.x versions of ZoneAlarm aren't
stable, and that they don't "play nice" with various anti-virus software
packages, among other things.

Caveat: I'm runnig ZA 5.0.590.015 (the latest-but-one version - I
haven't had the courage to go to the "latest and greatest" yet), and
haven't noticed any problems except ZA has this annoying habit of
telling me that my McAfee AV is out of date when McAfee itself is saying
"Nope, everything's fine here - you've got all the latest updates".

Personally, I think ZoneLabs added a few too many new "bells and
whistles" to v5.x - bit off a little more than they could chew, as it were.

You can take a look at CNET or the ZoneAlarm user forums, especially the
"Install, Uninstall and Upgrade" forum at
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst for more info.

Bob Pownall
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 10:28:52 PM

Bob Pownall wrote:

> Notan wrote:
> <In regards to Colin Wilson's recommendation to stay away from ZoneAlarm
> v5.x for now, due to problems>
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, what problems?
> >
> > Notan
>
> A lot of people are reporting that the v5.x versions of ZoneAlarm aren't
> stable, and that they don't "play nice" with various anti-virus software
> packages, among other things.
>
> Caveat: I'm runnig ZA 5.0.590.015 (the latest-but-one version - I
> haven't had the courage to go to the "latest and greatest" yet), and
> haven't noticed any problems except ZA has this annoying habit of
> telling me that my McAfee AV is out of date when McAfee itself is saying
> "Nope, everything's fine here - you've got all the latest updates".
>
> Personally, I think ZoneLabs added a few too many new "bells and
> whistles" to v5.x - bit off a little more than they could chew, as it were.
>
> You can take a look at CNET or the ZoneAlarm user forums, especially the
> "Install, Uninstall and Upgrade" forum at
> http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst for more info.

Thanks for the reply. (You too, Colin!)

I, too, am running 5.0.590.015, along with NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com),
and haven't had so much as a burp.

According to the latest Release History (http://tinyurl.com/4lr93), some
of the AV problems, seen with NAV and McAfee, have been addressed.

Notan
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 10:45:06 PM

> > I use ZoneAlarm personally and have done since v1.x and i`m not actually
> > that impressed with any of the newer versions. The newest v5.x should be
> > avoided *at the moment* due to ongoing problems as reported all over the
> > place ! (although i`m sure it will be sorted eventually)
> Just out of curiosity, what problems?

Not sure, but i`ve noticed reports in several groups about not being able
to browse sites etc

July 13, 2004 12:04:15 AM

CERT and the esteemed Department of Homeland Security issued a joint statement
telling people not to use IE. Well, Homeland Security finally got a small clue
about something many of us have known for a couple of years. In other words,
use IE only as a last resort. So far, the Microsoft Windows Update web site and
the UPS shipping web site are the only ones which I've used and fail to work
with Mozilla. So take the IE icon off the desktop, where it is all too easy to
click, but keep it around for rare use.

I've used Eudora email going back to release 3.01or something like that. Much
less likely to be infected than Outlook or Outlook Express. Mozilla also has an
email client. Lotsa good choices for internet software. No need to use
Microsoft products, except when Micro$oft forces you to... Ben Myers

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:42:43 GMT, Finite Guy <finiteguynospam@netscape.net>
wrote:

>You hit it right on the nail. I don't use Outlook but my daughter does
>sometimes. Also, I have downloaded Mozzila (Fire Fox) for a browser
>but occassionally I go back to my old habits with ie. I guess I should
>remove ie or the shrotcut to it. I do have a router so I think the
>firewall is okay.
>Thanks agian. I'm, always amazed that everytime I have a probelm with
>this machine, I find that I am not alone. If I do a goolge search on
>the symptoms, someone else has had the probelm at least a day or two
>before me.
>

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:20:45 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
>wrote:
>
>>> Thank You All:
>>> Did it and got rid of the virus or whate ever the hell it was.
>>
>>Congrats - now get a firewall, stop using lookOut as an email program,
>>and find another browser to use - block IE at the firewall :-p

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 3:41:19 AM

not get a better antivirus product like computer associates ez-trust or
mcafee 2004/v8.0. i wonder what you currently have on the system but would
guess that it is norton antivirus. they (symantec) continue to sell updates
to people for norton antivirus 2002/2003/2004 but these products don't scan
for trojans. it think it is incredibly irresponsible for symantec to
mislead its loyal customers with renewals for a security product that they
know full well leaves the user with a huge security hole. shame on them. i
predict that in about a years time they will be surprised how much market
share they loose because of their greed and short sightedness.

"Finite Guy" <finitetheelement.guy@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:D ro3f01vtc64h56noq6f3q5bgppldstqqp@4ax.com...
> Thank You All:
> Did it and got rid of the virus or whate ever the hell it was.
>
> Bob
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:57:07 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
> >Download and run Hijackthis. Remove the BHO (Browser Hijack Object) for
> >bridge.dll.
> >
> >Download Spybot 1.3, install its most recent updates, run it, and delete
> >everything it finds... Ben Myers
> >
> >On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:42:47 GMT, Finite Guy
<finitetheelement.guy@verizon.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Hi All: My Dell has been plagued for months with this lousey spyware.
> >>I used Adaware to get ridd of a lot of stuff but now I get an error :
> >>
> >>Error loading C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program
> >>Files\CONFLICT.1\bridge.dll
> >>The Spevified module could not be found
> >>

> >>What the hell is this?
> >>Anyone know?
> >>
> >>Rob

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 11:30:39 AM

Ben,
Can you post the url to the CERT statement you mentioned. I've
searched both CERT and DHS.gov. I'd like to forward that to my
Director (MIS).

Thanks,
Eric

> CERT and the esteemed Department of Homeland Security issued a joint
statement
> telling people not to use IE.

==============
July 14, 2004 4:41:37 PM

Eric,

The news item made both eWeek and InfoWorld this week. Your MIS Director reads
the trade rags? In eWeek, a Microsoftie named Schare was quoted as saying, "IE
is a key value proposition", sounding much like a pronouncement from a 1960's
Russian politburo.

Here's the most recent CERT alert from two days ago:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA04-184A.html

Here is how on-line news services have reported it:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/28/cert_ditch_expl...

http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/337493...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16922

The last one is a wee bit irreverent. Does your MIS Director need more
convincing? And all this from a company which has made major public
pronouncements for the last two years about its efforts to build a more secure
Windows. Actions speak louder than words... Ben Myers

On 14 Jul 2004 07:30:39 -0400, echapman@aba-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (rutricks)
wrote:

>Ben,
>Can you post the url to the CERT statement you mentioned. I've
>searched both CERT and DHS.gov. I'd like to forward that to my
>Director (MIS).
>
>Thanks,
>Eric
>
>> CERT and the esteemed Department of Homeland Security issued a joint
>statement
>> telling people not to use IE.
>
>==============
>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 9:11:10 AM

Interesting. When the Inquirer quoted from a CERT advisory at
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878 it left out the next sentence, which
says:

"Note that using a different web browser will not remove IE from a Windows
system, and other programs may invoke IE, the WebBrowser ActiveX control, or
the HTML rendering engine (MSHTML)."

So just using a different browser doesn't close all the Microsoft security
holes.

- Don

> Eric,
>
> The news item made both eWeek and InfoWorld this week. Your MIS Director
reads
> the trade rags? In eWeek, a Microsoftie named Schare was quoted as
saying, "IE
> is a key value proposition", sounding much like a pronouncement from a
1960's
> Russian politburo.
>
> Here's the most recent CERT alert from two days ago:
>
> http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA04-184A.html
>
> Here is how on-line news services have reported it:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/28/cert_ditch_expl...
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/337493...

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16922
>
> The last one is a wee bit irreverent. Does your MIS Director need more
> convincing? And all this from a company which has made major public
> pronouncements for the last two years about its efforts to build a more
secure
> Windows. Actions speak louder than words... Ben Myers
>
> On 14 Jul 2004 07:30:39 -0400, echapman@aba-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(rutricks)
> wrote:
>
> >Ben,
> >Can you post the url to the CERT statement you mentioned. I've
> >searched both CERT and DHS.gov. I'd like to forward that to my
> >Director (MIS).
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Eric
> >
> >> CERT and the esteemed Department of Homeland Security issued a joint
> >statement
> >> telling people not to use IE.
> >
> >==============
> >Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 6:04:12 PM

Right! Because the Windows operating system itself is the biggest gaping
security hole of them all. Not using IE mitigates security issues simply
because other browsers are not tightly integrated into the Windows operating
system. Ditto for using just about any other email package instead of Outlook
or Outlook Express. ActiveX is perhaps the most gaping security hole of them
all.

Now if you want to remove nearly all vestiges of IE from your Windows
environment, visit the following web site:

http://www.litepc.com/

These were some of the folks who put together an anti-Microsoft demo during the
now-abandoned browser anti-trust trial against MIcro$oft. Gates and crew
claimed and claimed and claimed that IE was tightly integreated with Windows.
The Lite PC people demoed a version of Windows 98 stripped completely of IE, and
their version of Windows 98 still functioned quite normally. You can download
the 98Lite freebie, or buy any of their lite products for whatever verison of
Windows you use. Bet they'll be very pleased to do deals for corporate-wide or
enterprise-wide licenses.

Unfortunately, nobody had either the balls and the brains to question and to
lean on Micro$oft during the anti-trust trial to get a firm and definitive
non-BS answer as to why the integration of IE into Windows was even necessary.
The concept goes against all sound principles of software architecture and
design... Ben Myers

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 05:11:10 GMT, "Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh>
wrote:

>Interesting. When the Inquirer quoted from a CERT advisory at
>http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878 it left out the next sentence, which
>says:
>
>"Note that using a different web browser will not remove IE from a Windows
>system, and other programs may invoke IE, the WebBrowser ActiveX control, or
>the HTML rendering engine (MSHTML)."
>
>So just using a different browser doesn't close all the Microsoft security
>holes.
>
>- Don

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:29:33 PM