Sign in with
Your question

Anyone know of a good s-pva monitor for $400?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 20, 2011 3:03:16 PM

Hello, I have been researching monitors for a friend who often uses her computer (and watches movies) at night in the dark, She also needs it to be viewable from different angles. I am new to flat screens (previously I got her a nice 21" crt but she wants the desk space freed up.) I don't know much about flat screens except what I've been reading here on the forums etc. I've started to think that maybe the s-pva panel might be right for her since there's little light glow like associated with ips and the blacks are deep good for watching movies. She doesn't watch action movies or play action games so speed isn't a huge issue either. The only one I've come across in her price range is the nec p221w which is 22". Once she puts it on the wall it's going to be around 3-4 ft from where she sits so ideally a 24-27 would be better but I don't know if that's possible for $400.
Does anyone know of any monitors that would work for her. We are open to other panel types like ips, the pva panels are just a thought right now.
Thanks and happy holidays!

AC.

More about : good pva monitor 400

December 20, 2011 9:24:59 PM

Oh boy, I guess I should've waited a little longer before posting this thread as once I had her sit back the distance the new monitor would be we could see that 22"-24" is going to be WAY too small, so it's looking like we are going to have to buy a tn monitor and get a pivoting wall mount for different viewing angles. I may need to start a new thread for this but does anyone know a good tn panel for reading text, larger the better; am thinking minimum 27" and up to 32 (maybe even 36", then she could just watch movies from bed instead of sitting in front of the computer) staying within the $400 range. Thanks and sorry for not checking that first.
Related resources
a c 193 C Monitor
December 21, 2011 6:25:23 PM

Generally speaking, as long as you are using the monitor's maximum resolution, text should be legible.

One warning about TN panels. They have poor viewing angles so colors, brightness and contrast will change more dramatically than other LCD panel techs the more off center you look at the monitor.
December 21, 2011 11:47:27 PM

Ok, that's good to know. I'm hoping there are rotating wall mounts for larger monitors/hdtvs then she can just rotate the viewing angle to make up for the loss.

February 16, 2012 7:27:05 PM

I actually found a 40" spva panel for under $400. It's the TCL L40FHDF12TA. It's a Samsung Panel. Probably better than going with the TN panel like I was going to. It has a 4000.1 native contrast. The only other one we're considering is a 37" panasonic viera u3 (eips) which has a dynamic contrast ratio of 20,000.1 don't know what the native is though, the panny is about $100 more though.
!