Looking for a new keyboard (Low-travel, easy presses)

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hey all

So I'll be building myself a new computer some time this spring (I got a spring-summer internship which pays VERY nice, so I can have nice things). Anyways, after several years of abuse, my laptop's keyboard is definitely looking a little worse for the wear. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for quality keyboards.

I really like the lower key travel and ease of keypresses of my laptop's keyboard, it allows me to type about twice as fast as I can on a normal desktop keyboard. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 8930 (18.4"), so the keyboard is basically full-sized.

The one thing that bugs me is the way that the keyboard is matrixed. On the number pad, hitting 1 and then 5 before releasing 1 will cause the 5 keypress to not be registered. I have also noticed similar problems with some of the dell keyboards that I've had the (dis)pleasure to use.

Oh, and for maximum portability, I'd like it to be a USB keyboard.

I typically use the keyboard for about 50% programming, 35% general typing (i.e. emails, tomshardware forum postings, etc), and 15% gaming.

Anyone have any recommendations?

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Guess I forgot to mention that I want it wired and full-sized. Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

By maximum portability, I meant it being able to be used connected to a laptop or a desktop, not just a desktop that has a PS/2 port (I suppose I could always use an adapter, but where's the fun in that).

Sorry about the confusion