Stupid Question ... Make Fun Of Me Here

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<b>The CPU fan header automatically regulates the fan's voltage, right?</b>

Backstory:
<font color=purple>Because my DVD reader died and my temporary replacement CD drive is a freaking jet engine, I'm seriously considering doing the final noise reduction to my PC that I was meant to do a while ago now that I have to order a new part and muck around with my PC anyway.

That is (besides installing a new DVD reader) I plan to switch to a fanless heatsink (looking at Thermaltake SonicTower with AS5 TIM), run a higher CFM rear exhaust fan (probably a SilenX iXtrema 120mm 14dBA 58CFM) through the CPU fan header, and add damping material (AcoustiPack Pre-cut Antec Sonata Kit). This is on an Antec Sonata of course, with stock exhaust low RPM 120mm fan, an 'intake' 120mm Antec smartfan, an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, and a P4C 2.6 with stock heatsink and TIM.

All in all, it should make for one heck of a quiet PC. (And it'll give me a chance to give it a good cleaning with some compressed dry air.)

But before I actually order the parts (well, I also still have to measure if I have enough room for the monster fanless heatsink) I just wanted to make sure that if I run the rear exhaust fan from the CPU fan header, that should be the best way to keep it from overheating.</font color=purple>

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

endyen

Splendid
Yup. You should be fine, though I think you have to enable in bios.
An unrelated bit of info, it wouldn't work on the new intel chips. Aside from the heat issue, they use a 4 pin fan header, with a thermistor integrated into the hs.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
**ROFL**

Spend about $235 on a Zalman Reserator I so that I can have a giant ugly blue thingy sitting next to my sleek PC to reduce <i>just</i> the CPU noise.

...or...

Spend about $150 on a fanless heatsink, dampening material, and a super-quiet 120mm fan with decent CFMs that will all neatly fit inside of my case and make <i>everything</i> else in the case even quieter than it already is instead of just the CPU HSF.

Sorry wusy, but the air solution is cheaper, nicer looking, more portable, safer (no water involved), and quieter. The only advantage I see to your suggestion is <i>possibly</i> a little more overclocking headroom. Thanks for the suggestion, but in your own words, it's "not worth it d00d". ;)

And technically, if I didn't consider OCing ever, and I was <i>only</i> concerned with the CPU noise, I could just get the fanless heatsink by itself for about $50.

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yup. You should be fine, though I think you have to enable in bios.
Wouldn't it already be enabled in BIOS? It'd be exactly like any other HSF setup except that in this case the HSF fan isn't on the heatsink, it's behind it, serving as both HSF fan and exhaust fan in one.

An unrelated bit of info, it wouldn't work on the new intel chips. Aside from the heat issue, they use a 4 pin fan header, with a thermistor integrated into the hs.
Intriguing. I never noticed, but looking at a picture of a new Intel board, it is 4 pins. :O How does that affect current third party HSFs for the socket that only have 3pin fans?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
That HS is huge. I thought My XP-120 was stupid but that's plain ridiculous! :lol:

Should work great, IMO. :cool:

---
Winnie 3200+ @ ~2.5Ghz, ~1.41V
1Gb @ 209Mhz, 2T, 3-5-5-10
Asus 6800GT 128Mb

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
hmmm. could you fit a slim 120mm fan in between the two 'stacks'? that would be cool.(pun intended)

---
Winnie 3200+ @ ~2.5Ghz, ~1.41V
1Gb @ 209Mhz, 2T, 3-5-5-10
Asus 6800GT 128Mb

endyen

Splendid
Last time I checked, asus allowed the fan control as an option. They also allow fan to run at full speed. Most of the P4c fans are qiet enough that I have generally run them @ full speed always.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That HS is huge. I thought My XP-120 was stupid but that's plain ridiculous!
Damn skippy. When fanless, huge is the idea. :) I still have to measure though. I'm not sure if I have the clearance needed for it or not. (I probably do, but the fanless northbridge heatsink is kind of big.)

There's are a few decent fanless options to look at. There's updates of the same basic one from <A HREF="http://www.scythe.co.jp/en/cooler/ncu2005.htm" target="_new">Scythe (like the NCU-2005)</A> and an older <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0019Fanless103/cl-p0019fanless103.htm" target="_new">funky beastie (Fanless103) from Thermaltake</A>, but I think the <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/4in1heatpipe/cl-p0071SonicTower/cl-p0071.htm" target="_new">SonicTower from Thermaltake</A> looks like my best option so far. Though there is the new <A HREF="http://www.scythe.co.jp/en/cooler/SCNJ1000.htm" target="_new">Ninja from Scythe</A>. I might wait another month or so to see how reviews of the Ninja play out. Then again, I might not. **ROFL**

hmmm. could you fit a slim 120mm fan in between the two 'stacks'? that would be cool.(pun intended)
Yup. It's already been done by folks. With a 120mm x 25mm fan it puts an awful lot of air coolers to shame. I think it also officially has a clip to mount a 120mm somewhere on the outside, but you run into space problems then. (Where as kludge-ing it to the inside takes up no extra space.)

Should work great, IMO.
It should at least be enough to run my proc at stock. (Especially if I see how far I can undervolt it.) One day I may overclock. On that day I might even need to jam a 120mm between the stacks to OC decently once I up the vcore. But I don't think I'll bother with that until I actually start feeling that my 2.6C is slugish. And that day isn't today. So until that day I'm aiming for pure silence. :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The thing that pisses me off about air is dust and dust and more dust!
Unless you get one of those filter thing which you'll still have to clean it once in a while, it will reduce performance hence you need more fan to get the same amount of air. With that said you'll be just adding more noise to your case.
But that's true regardless of watercooling the CPU or not. There's still the northbridge, power supply, and RAM that can be heat-sensitive. You just have to clean the dust every so often.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Last time I checked, asus allowed the fan control as an option. They also allow fan to run at full speed. Most of the P4c fans are qiet enough that I have generally run them @ full speed always.
Interesting. :) I'll have to look into that. (For that matter I should probably flash my BIOS one of these days.)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just two side notes:

1) The dead DVD reader that started all of this is made by, guess who? <b>MSI</b> Go figure that it died, eh? I'm really starting to hate MSI. Who ever heard of a DVD reader's tray eject failing anyway? Usually it's at least a cooler death like the laser or the motor or something. :\

2) I'm still holding off putting a fanless heatsink on my GF6600GT. I only just bought it and I'd hate to kill my warranty so soon. But I purposely bought one of the quietest versions made, and its fan should only spin up noisily during games (when my speakers will drown that out), so hopefully it won't be a problem.

So in the end I'll still have 4 fans in my system. I'll have the quiet regulated AGP HSF, the Sonata's quiet regulated power supply fan, the quiet regulated HSF/exhaust 120mm, and the quiet regulated 'intake' Antec 120mm smartfan.

reader850

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
I have that Antec smartfan. Won't it always run at the slowest speed if you use it as an intake fan? I think the temp sensor is in the fan itself, so it will be measuring the temp of the incoming (cool) air.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have that Antec smartfan. Won't it always run at the slowest speed if you use it as an intake fan? I think the temp sensor is in the fan itself, so it will be measuring the temp of the incoming (cool) air.
Normally this would be a fairly accurate observation.

However, in the Antec Sonata the 'intake' fan is actually mounted <i>behind</i> the hard drive cage. So the fan is actually closer to the middle of the case than it is the front, and it's incoming air temperature is measured after the hard drive heat has been applied, with a good mixture of the case's air as well. So that makes it just the fan to use for 'intake' in my case. :)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
MSI doesn't make optical drives, yours was a rebadged acer, I think. Talk about an unholly alliance, MSI and Aopen.
Ugh. I should have researched that further. No <explitive never entered> wonder. All the reviews said that it was a silent dream. (And a little slow at some things.) And it was. It was a very silent reader. But then it died a really stupid death by not ejecting anymore. (The manual eject wouldn't even work, so it's super-dead now since I <i>really</i> wanted my Hitman Contracts CD back and spared no physical punishment in the process of getting it.)

BTW are you Canadian?
Nope. Just an insane American of extremely confused genetics married to an Aussie wife. :O

<EDIT><i>Oh, and have lived in Wisconsin for five years now. That certainly hasn't helped me any</i></EDIT>

<pre> :eek: <font color=purple>I express to you a hex value 84 with my ten binary 'digits'. :eek: </font color=purple></pre><p>@ 185K -> 200,000 miles or bust!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slvr_phoenix on 04/15/05 09:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Have you looked into the Abit IS7 Mobo? What I can't hear your puter. It's way to quiet.
**ROFL** Yeah. Everyone was raving about it at the time I was shopping. For some reason I went with the Asus anyway. I can't imagine why... ;)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That pink dress looked really bad on you, you should have gone with the little black #
You know, you're probably right. But ever since I started watching Mew Mew Power, I've just absolutely fallen in love with Zoey. She's such a cat. I just can't help myself. Pink is the new black in my book!

But, like, omigod! If I looked really bad in the pink dress then you're not going to like put those pics of me on the web are you? I'd just <i>die</i> if I really looked hideous in them!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If I had a face like yours I wouldn't know which end of me to wipe.
Oh yeah? Well if I had a face like mine, I'd ... um ... shave. Yeah!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You need to shave both ends. Your ringpiece is badly encrusted.
Actually, I do shave both ends. I'd look positively silly on that pink outfit (or the black number for that matter) if I didn't. :O

That aside, may both of your ends smell like camels and your ringpiece be eaten by grues for telling everyone how encrusted mine is. :mad: