CD/DVD DRIVE CANNOT READ OR LOAD WINDOWS 7 DISC-HELP!

Hi

I am trying to install Windows 7 onto my laptop as I want to do a clean install to wipe off everything and have windows freshly put on.

My cd/dvd drive cannot read the disc. You can here the drive attempting to load up the disc but to know success.
I have tried Microsoft Fix, does not work (however, it has in the past as well as booting from disc at startup-that too has worked in the past), I have tried booting from the cd/dvd drive on bootup, I have attempted to go into the registry and delete lowers installers I think its called (I didnt do this on previously installation attempts and I installed fine).

I have all correct drivers according to my laptop, plus Ive gone into the packard bell website to download the correct drivers and I have used windows update too in case im missing anything.

Nothing is working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about drive read load windows disc help
  1. mog8 said:
    Hi

    I am trying to install Windows 7 onto my laptop as I want to do a clean install to wipe off everything and have windows freshly put on.

    My cd/dvd drive cannot read the disc. You can here the drive attempting to load up the disc but to know success.
    I have tried Microsoft Fix, does not work (however, it has in the past as well as booting from disc at startup-that too has worked in the past), I have tried booting from the cd/dvd drive on bootup, I have attempted to go into the registry and delete lowers installers I think its called (I didnt do this on previously installation attempts and I installed fine).

    I have all correct drivers according to my laptop, plus Ive gone into the packard bell website to download the correct drivers and I have used windows update too in case im missing anything.

    Nothing is working.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks


    Make sure there are no scratches or any other debris on teh bottom of the CD/DVD. Windows 7 reinstall media is typically on a DVD due to its sheer size.
    Does the optical (CD/DVD) drive support DVDs?
    How old is the computer?
  2. hi. don't look for dvd/cd in bios settings look for manufactures name of the drive in the drop down list. like optiarc ad-1234. usually last option and make it fist boot
  3. Hi thanks for your reply.

    There no scratches and no debris exist on the disc. I keep it nice in the pack it came in from Windows.

    The CD/DVD drive works fine on DVDs and CD`s except this Windows disc. I have tried both the 64bit and 32bit versions in case one worked, but no luck.

    I have al the drivers according to Packard Bell and Windows.

    Can I verify using some kind of program, of online, or with Windows to see if the disc is Ok with DVDs?
  4. do you know how to get into bios?
  5. go to device manger and were its says dvd/cd rom open and write the name of the dvd drive it will be like optiarc ad-1234. you usually enter bios by shutting down computer and pressing delete button. it bring you in to a lot of setup menus. im gonna restart to tell you what to do but first I need to pick my daughter from school disco.
    later
  6. Forgot to mention the age of my laptop:

    Its a Packard Bell BV EasyNote_MX45

    Its around 6 or 7 years old.
  7. I don't think the age of the lappy makes any difference but you should check min spec required for ram. when you restart with disk in drive, at startup does it say to install from disk press any key?
  8. Hi

    I have 2GB of ram which are minimum requirements for this Windows 7 disk. I have installed this windows 7 disk before on 64bit it ran fine.

    I have not been prompted to install disk and press any key at startup no.

    It tries to load as I change the booting order, pressing ESC then selecting the cd/dvd drive to load from at startup, but a small white cursor line appears in front of a black screen as it tries to use the disk to load. After the system retries and retries to load using the disk, it gives up then continues to my current installed version of windows.

    --------


    al147 said:
    I don't think the age of the lappy makes any difference but you should check min spec required for ram. when you restart with disk in drive, at startup does it say to install from disk press any key?
  9. and the disk is in the drive at power up?
  10. have you ever been in the bios of your computer?
  11. could be your drive having issue reading the media on how it was burned from microsoft. i would use a usb stick and the microsoft usb tool and put the windows iso image onto a usb stick.
  12. Do us a favor and go to THIS site and download CPU-ID. Run it and then post the information here. It will help us better determine what kind of drive you have. I attempted to locate the system on Packard Bell's website but it doesn't exist.

    Thanks!
  13. HI

    Firstly, thanks for all the help.


    In the end, I created an ISO image and have since reinstalled windows using a disc with the image copied onto it. Installed very well. Im using newly installed windows 7 now!!

    The actual windows disc I bought remains as nearly useless, but with the other disc, things are going well.

    If I have problems in the future, I will contcat this site:)

    Thanks.

    -------------

    hedwar2011 said:
    Do us a favor and go to THIS site and download CPU-ID. Run it and then post the information here. It will help us better determine what kind of drive you have. I attempted to locate the system on Packard Bell's website but it doesn't exist.

    Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 CD-Rom DVD Drives