Can I upgrade my laptop with a Low Volt Pentium M?

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
I have a Dell D600 which has a standard Pentium M. I noticed that the Low Voltage Pentium Ms (as opposed to the Very Low Voltage CPUs) use a voltage range that is contained within the standard Pentium Ms voltage range. The following figures are for the 90 nm Dothan versions:

Pentium M 0.988 – 1.356
Low Voltage 0.988 – 1.116
Ultra Low Voltage 0.812 – 0.940

This got me wondering if it’s possible for laptops to easily support a low voltage version. Or does the voltage controller need to be of a higher quality, to accurately provide the very fine voltage differences that the low voltage versions require? Different speed steps can require as little as 0.016 of a volt difference when switching.

I assume that the BIOS has to specifically support a particular CPU, which is probably going to be the stumbling block if the voltage controller isn’t.
Or can you use something like RMClock to setup custom voltage steps?

Hmmm!

I thank God everyday for making me crazy, otherwise I’d be insane like most of the rest of ya.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should be able to support the Low Voltage part just fine. BIOS should support both already.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>