Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade my laptop with a Low Volt Pentium M?

Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2005 7:58:42 PM

I have a Dell D600 which has a standard Pentium M. I noticed that the Low Voltage Pentium Ms (as opposed to the Very Low Voltage CPUs) use a voltage range that is contained within the standard Pentium Ms voltage range. The following figures are for the 90 nm Dothan versions:

Pentium M 0.988 – 1.356
Low Voltage 0.988 – 1.116
Ultra Low Voltage 0.812 – 0.940

This got me wondering if it’s possible for laptops to easily support a low voltage version. Or does the voltage controller need to be of a higher quality, to accurately provide the very fine voltage differences that the low voltage versions require? Different speed steps can require as little as 0.016 of a volt difference when switching.

I assume that the BIOS has to specifically support a particular CPU, which is probably going to be the stumbling block if the voltage controller isn’t.
Or can you use something like RMClock to setup custom voltage steps?

Hmmm!

I thank God everyday for making me crazy, otherwise I’d be insane like most of the rest of ya.
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2005 6:29:49 AM

It should be able to support the Low Voltage part just fine. BIOS should support both already.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
!