Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CompTIA and Cisco Qualifications

Last response: in Business Computing
April 11, 2012 11:04:56 AM

Hey guys,

I have recently (few months ago) passed my CompTIA A+ and various MTAs, as well as an MCTS in Configuring Windows 7.

I would like to further my span of qualifications by taking ones from other vendors such as Cisco.

In the long run I would like to obtain a CCIE in routing and switching, however this is a longshot!

My questions are as followed;

Do I need any prior qualifications to be able to attempt a CCNA?

What qualifications would you suggest to persue a career in Networking and IT Consultancy?

How valued are these qualifications?

Thank you for your time

Jordan
April 11, 2012 12:37:35 PM

Cisco CCNA is the basis for doing any Cisco based networking. That's a good one to have and remember to keep the certification valid.

Going with a MCTS in Win7 and then going into networking.. you would be targeting a small company that requires an admin to do a little bit of everything.

If you want to go into switching/routing, go with the CCNA and focus on that route. There is a lot to offer in the VoIP world of Ciso as well.

CCNA will take about 6 months of practice and reading the book. There is a lot of understand in that book. Going to the CCIE.. that's a tough one. I think I only know one person who has ever held it.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:29:58 PM

gns3 is an amazing tool that will help with your study's.

It is usually suggested to go with the two test route first attaining an icnd 1 ccent certification then on the the ccna icnd 2. The composite test is recommended for people re-certifying.

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 12, 2012 7:52:21 PM

Here is the link, towards prerequisites :
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learn...

I suggest getting Network + from Comptia before going towards CCNA...Network+ is not vendor specific, and is highly recommended as a starting point in IT networking.

Check out this article on Tom's IT Pro , it's a great read, and obviously you already have a great start :

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/it-exam-prep-network-...

Bookmark this website. Also check the Evergreen series of articles it has 3 parts.
m
l
April 12, 2012 7:55:54 PM

Another Good Read :

Training Options for IT Pros :
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/it-certification-it-t...

You'll have to scour through articles from around september 2011 and onwards, if you are interested in more info, there are loads of articles and information, some great guides, all recommendations from IT pros that have been in the industry for decades.
m
l
April 16, 2012 6:58:54 AM

Make sure to get a linux cert...
m
l
April 17, 2012 8:16:00 PM

Congrats on your A+!

For Networking I would follow this path:
A+, N+, CCENT, CCNA (yes i would split it up), CCNP, and then CCIE

For IT in general I would do this for Basic career path:
A+, N+, CCENT, CCNA, Security +, <insert server OS cert here>, <insert client OS here>
m
l
April 19, 2012 9:35:18 AM

Thank you for all the advice guys, I am now working towards my Comptia Network+. After this I will then proceed to attempt Cisco examinations! Wish me luck :) 
m
l

Best solution

April 20, 2012 6:41:02 PM

roagie said:
Congrats on your A+!

For Networking I would follow this path:
A+, N+, CCENT, CCNA (yes i would split it up), CCNP, and then CCIE

For IT in general I would do this for Basic career path:
A+, N+, CCENT, CCNA, Security +, <insert server OS cert here>, <insert client OS here>

This is almost perfect!

The only thing I would add is after you get your ccna, start looking for a job. You'll have a solid foundation with A+,Net+,Sec+, and client test to get an entry level job.

I say this because no one is going to hire a ccnp with no experience. Experience is %100 more beneficial than any certification. You get the certification after you get the experience to both prove you know whats up and maybe get a little raise. Even take a helpdesk job bro. From time to time you'll get exposure to different technologies. Then your boss will tell you what he needs from you regarding certifications.

Maybe you'll end up in an SAP shop or work with a client that runs unix. At that point you'll probably sit down and say, i could go study and get my ccnp and have personal gratification, or i could get an ase in hp-ux and get a big raise and get to fly around the country for the next 3 years for systems work.

Planning is awesome and having goals makes this crazy world bareable. but be open to whats out there and sometimes the universe will through you something that is unexpected but crazy awesome.

just my 2cent.
April 22, 2012 10:52:26 AM

Best answer selected by Jollyjay.
m
l
April 22, 2012 10:53:14 AM

umm@gumma said:
This is almost perfect!

The only thing I would add is after you get your ccna, start looking for a job. You'll have a solid foundation with A+,Net+,Sec+, and client test to get an entry level job.

I say this because no one is going to hire a ccnp with no experience. Experience is %100 more beneficial than any certification. You get the certification after you get the experience to both prove you know whats up and maybe get a little raise. Even take a helpdesk job bro. From time to time you'll get exposure to different technologies. Then your boss will tell you what he needs from you regarding certifications.

Maybe you'll end up in an SAP shop or work with a client that runs unix. At that point you'll probably sit down and say, i could go study and get my ccnp and have personal gratification, or i could get an ase in hp-ux and get a big raise and get to fly around the country for the next 3 years for systems work.

Planning is awesome and having goals makes this crazy world bareable. but be open to whats out there and sometimes the universe will through you something that is unexpected but crazy awesome.

just my 2cent.

That is some of the best advice I've ever been given,

Thank you
m
l
!