My new Dell

Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
person I spoke with.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:20:08 -0400, "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com>
wrote:

>Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
>printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
>person I spoke with.

Send it back.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

You have a twenty day period to send it back.
If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a very
detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
directly to Michael Dell.

"Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
> person I spoke with.

If you're speaking of the online doc on the machine, I believe during
initial setup you were asked what language you preferred.

Tom
"Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
> person I spoke with.

Control panel/.regional and language settings should fix it.

Tony wrote:

> I would define a <TROLL> as an idiot who thinks its clever to attack anyone
> who dares to criticize Dell.

And that's why we look to you for guidance.

Notan

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Yes indeed.

Just send $100 to the Church of Tony's Online Dell Bashing, and spiritual
guidance can be yours, 24/7 with the click of a Dell mouse.

> Tony wrote:
> >
> > I would define a <TROLL> as an idiot who thinks its clever to attack
anyone
> > who dares to criticize Dell.
>
> And that's why we look to you for guidance.
>
> Notan

chico

Why should the buyer eat the cost of sending it back?

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You have a twenty day period to send it back.
> If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
very
> detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
> directly to Michael Dell.
>

> "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
the
> > person I spoke with.

chico

Dell apparently has decided it is easier to teach its customers a foreign
language than it is to teach their tech support English!
ching, wing, ding, choy fung Dell!!

"Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
> person I spoke with.

Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
during initial setup.
Now of course there is also the other option of making a quick setting
change and all will be well.

"chico" <chico@blowitoutyourbutt.com> wrote in message
> Why should the buyer eat the cost of sending it back?
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You have a twenty day period to send it back.
> > If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
> very
> > detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
> > directly to Michael Dell.
> >

> > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> > > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
> the
> > > person I spoke with.

OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center in
India speaks some sort of Asian language.
Now you tell me who the incompetent ones are!

> Dell apparently has decided it is easier to teach its customers a foreign
> language than it is to teach their tech support English!
> ching, wing, ding, choy fung Dell!!
>

> "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
the
> > person I spoke with.

In my opinion, they should not have to, but that is Dell's policy.

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
> during initial setup.

I'm not convinced that assumption is valid.

Based on the fact that the original poster said:

" printed in a foreign language"

Printed to me, means printed as in, on paper, rather than "displayed" as
in, what would appear on a computer display.

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
> during initial setup.
> Now of course there is also the other option of making a quick setting
> change and all will be well.
>

> "chico" <chico@blowitoutyourbutt.com> wrote in message
> > Why should the buyer eat the cost of sending it back?
> >
> > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > You have a twenty day period to send it back.
> > > If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
> > very
> > > detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
> > > directly to Michael Dell.
> > >

> > > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
is
> > the

keith

DellBot Alert!!!
> OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center in
> India speaks some sort of Asian language.
> Now you tell me who the incompetent ones are!
>

> "chico" <chico@blowitoutyourbutt.com> wrote in message
> > Dell apparently has decided it is easier to teach its customers a
foreign
> > language than it is to teach their tech support English!
> > ching, wing, ding, choy fung Dell!!
> >

> > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> > > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
> the
> > > person I spoke with.

chico

Who you calling a Mexican you stinking beloved patriot?! I'm Honduran. I suppose we
all look alike to you huh? But I can speak the language unlike Dellindians.

PC Medic wrote:

> OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center in
> India speaks some sort of Asian language.
>
> <snip>

I normally don't like feeding into these types of conversations,
but that was pretty good! <g>

Notan

Irene wrote:

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> > Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
> > during initial setup.
>
> I'm not convinced that assumption is valid.
>
> Based on the fact that the original poster said:
>
> " printed in a foreign language"
>
> Printed to me, means printed as in, on paper, rather than "displayed" as
> in, what would appear on a computer display.

Well, OP, which is it?

Notan

> PC Medic wrote:
> >
> > OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center
in
> > India speaks some sort of Asian language.
> >
> > <snip>
>
> I normally don't like feeding into these types of conversations,
> but that was pretty good! <g>

I generally avoid them (whiners) myself, but if you are going to flame, I
wish they would at least be honest about their experience.

This is my first foray into this group and I have to comment on this
thread. I bought a new Dell system (xp) in April and upgraded
several items at that time. No one mentioned to me that 256 mg of ram
isn't enough to get any kind of satisfactory output from this machine,
that I should have been told I needed 512 mg......

The programs Dell has put on this machine are a pain. For example,
I will never buy McAfee. They drive me crazy taking over the machine
much too often when I first log on "updating," without my input on
whether it's a good time or not. At the same time, they've missed
some emails containing a virus that Norton found through Earthlink
and removed. AOL is there. I haven't used it and even tried to
cancel but was told to wait until a few days before my "free trial
period" was up. Microsoft's Outlook Express is there. I've had
Forte' Agent for years and consider it the sweetest little software
program for email and newsgroups available, bar none. Even though I
have designated Agent as my default mail/newsgroup....the system
doesn't always accept that, telling me periodically that my default
mail system isn't set up properly.....No question Dell and Microsoft
are in bed together..... I'm just about ready to tell Microsoft's
Internet Explorer sayonara and go back to Netscape (although, didn't I
hear that Microsoft bought them out too?) There are some programs on
the machine I haven't even looked at yet.

Be forewarned that when you buy Dell, in addition to Windows you
become a captive audience to most of Microsoft's other programs, which
they will all unceasingly bug you to buy when their trial period is
up. I'm somewhat amazed by this as I thought this was the problem
raised in the government's lawsuit against Microsoft. This is my
fourth computer, my first factory Dell, although I did have a Dell
clone that was built for me, and I never had any complaints with my
previous three.

In addition to Dell having a support center in India, I have to deal
with Earthlink (not for much longer, I think) which also has their
support centers in other countries. I have to wonder if Earthlink
purposefully keeps cutting off my connection to the net whether I'm on
the web or in my email program in an effort to upgrade my account from
standard dial-up or they just don't have anyone locally (i.e., in the
U.S.) working on local problems. I think when I try to connect and am
told "unable to connect with the remote computer," they aren't kidding
about the "remote" part. Boy do I miss the good old days.

Incidentally, Irene, you've written some good responses, but I've
gotta ask: you don't seriously think Michael Dell personally reads
emails from his customers, do you?

The consumer complaint group * www.planetfeedback.com is what I
consider the best way to go. Complaints can be sent there and they
will post the problem and also forward a copy to the company in
question. Actually, it's a good place to go when researching items
you wish to purchase.

*this url will take you to Intelliseek....there, on the right hand
side you will see where to click if you are a consumer.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:05:43 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You have a twenty day period to send it back.
>If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a very
>detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
>directly to Michael Dell.
>

>"Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
>> printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
>> person I spoke with.

If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.

You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.

You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.

Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.

In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to this
group.

Rocky

"Virginia Taylor" <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> will post the problem and also forward a copy to the company in
> question. Actually, it's a good place to go when researching items
> you wish to purchase.
>
> *this url will take you to Intelliseek....there, on the right hand
> side you will see where to click if you are a consumer.
>

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:05:43 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >You have a twenty day period to send it back.
> >If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
very
> >detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
> >directly to Michael Dell.
> >

> >"Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
> >> printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand

more squirrel droppings by a stupid squirrel. you're the biggest troll in
this ng. can't you go find a tire to run under?

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > gotta ask: you don't seriously think Michael Dell personally reads
> > emails from his customers, do you?
> >
> > The consumer complaint group * www.planetfeedback.com is what I
> > consider the best way to go. Complaints can be sent there and they
> > will post the problem and also forward a copy to the company in
> > question. Actually, it's a good place to go when researching items
> > you wish to purchase.
> >
> > *this url will take you to Intelliseek....there, on the right hand
> > side you will see where to click if you are a consumer.
> >

> > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:05:43 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >You have a twenty day period to send it back.
> > >If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
> very
> > >detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:46 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
<rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.
I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.

>You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
who's to say they give one their pick?

>You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.
This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
doesn't tell you about the garbage.

>Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.

>In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to this
>group.
I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
troll? Why don't you get a life?

>Rocky

and which company do you work for, Rocky? Dell? Microsoft?

Lol...your post speaks for itself.

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:46 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
> <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
>
> >If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.
> I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
> company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
> we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.
>
> >You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
> Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
> loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
> who's to say they give one their pick?
> >
> >You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.
> This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
> had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
> doesn't tell you about the garbage.
> >
> >Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
> Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
> latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.
> >
> >In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to
this
> >group.
> I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
> troll? Why don't you get a life?
> >
> >Rocky
> >
> and which company do you work for, Rocky? Dell? Microsoft?

Sadly, as does yours.

> Lol...your post speaks for itself.
>
> Rocky
>
> "Virginia Taylor" <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:46 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
> > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
> >
> > >If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.
> > I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
> > company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
> > we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.
> >
> > >You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
> > Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
> > loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
> > who's to say they give one their pick?
> > >
> > >You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.
> > This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
> > had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
> > doesn't tell you about the garbage.
> > >
> > >Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
> > Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
> > latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.
> > >
> > >In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to
> this
> > >group.
> > I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
> > troll? Why don't you get a life?
> > >
> > >Rocky
> > >
> > and which company do you work for, Rocky? Dell? Microsoft?

"Virginia Taylor" <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
> company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
> we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.

Windows XP will run OK with 256 megs but 512 is better. Dell's computer is
complete but you need to have some minimum knowledge of what your computer
will be used for and theeven hardware and software requirements. You don't
need to be an expert. Freedom to customize requires knowledge to make
choices. There is no one size to fit all. Home use computers can run from
about $500.00 to $3,000.00 Obviously, there's a great deal of difference in
what you can get.

I object to Dells maketing $350 computers with 128 mgs of ram shared with
video. There was an ad in today's Wall St. Jrl. This may be good marketing
but is misleading. As in everything else, knowledge is power and the
ignorant get burned.

> >You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
> Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
> loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
> who's to say they give one their pick?

Just go to Dell's web site. The choices are clearly described. You could
have asked a computer knowledgable friend for help or even posted your
question in this group before your bought.

> This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
> had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
> doesn't tell you about the garbage.

This is the advantge of going to a local store and receiving advise and
personal service. You pay a little more, but in your case, it would have
been beneficial. Dell's web site DOES tell you everything being installed,
but you have to read and understand what they are saying. You don't seem
interested in learning even the basics of computers. Just a suggestion, you
might look into a Mac for your next computer.

> >Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
> Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
> latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.

You can use other email and news reader programs but you would also need to
learn how to install them.

> >In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to
this
> >group.
> I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
> troll?

I think Rocky was a little hard on you. You're not a Troll (a newsgroup
trouble starter).