My new Dell

Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
person I spoke with.
30 answers Last reply
More about dell

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:20:08 -0400, "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com>
    wrote:

    >Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    >printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
    >person I spoke with.

    Send it back.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    You have a twenty day period to send it back.
    If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a very
    detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
    directly to Michael Dell.

    "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
    > person I spoke with.

    If you're speaking of the online doc on the machine, I believe during
    initial setup you were asked what language you preferred.

    Tom
    "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
    > person I spoke with.

    Control panel/.regional and language settings should fix it.

    Tony wrote:

    > I would define a <TROLL> as an idiot who thinks its clever to attack anyone
    > who dares to criticize Dell.

    And that's why we look to you for guidance.

    Notan

    Yes indeed.

    Just send $100 to the Church of Tony's Online Dell Bashing, and spiritual
    guidance can be yours, 24/7 with the click of a Dell mouse.

    > Tony wrote:
    > >
    > > I would define a <TROLL> as an idiot who thinks its clever to attack
    anyone
    > > who dares to criticize Dell.
    >
    > And that's why we look to you for guidance.
    >
    > Notan

    Why should the buyer eat the cost of sending it back?

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You have a twenty day period to send it back.
    > If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
    very
    > detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
    > directly to Michael Dell.
    >

    > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
    the
    > > person I spoke with.

    Dell apparently has decided it is easier to teach its customers a foreign
    language than it is to teach their tech support English!
    ching, wing, ding, choy fung Dell!!

    "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
    > person I spoke with.

    Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
    during initial setup.
    Now of course there is also the other option of making a quick setting
    change and all will be well.

    "chico" <chico@blowitoutyourbutt.com> wrote in message
    > Why should the buyer eat the cost of sending it back?
    >
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > You have a twenty day period to send it back.
    > > If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
    > very
    > > detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
    > > directly to Michael Dell.
    > >

    > > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > > > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
    > the
    > > > person I spoke with.

    OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center in
    India speaks some sort of Asian language.
    Now you tell me who the incompetent ones are!

    > Dell apparently has decided it is easier to teach its customers a foreign
    > language than it is to teach their tech support English!
    > ching, wing, ding, choy fung Dell!!
    >

    > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
    the
    > > person I spoke with.

    In my opinion, they should not have to, but that is Dell's policy.

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
    > during initial setup.

    I'm not convinced that assumption is valid.

    Based on the fact that the original poster said:

    " printed in a foreign language"

    Printed to me, means printed as in, on paper, rather than "displayed" as
    in, what would appear on a computer display.

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
    > during initial setup.
    > Now of course there is also the other option of making a quick setting
    > change and all will be well.
    >

    > "chico" <chico@blowitoutyourbutt.com> wrote in message
    > > Why should the buyer eat the cost of sending it back?
    > >
    > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > You have a twenty day period to send it back.
    > > > If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
    > > very
    > > > detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
    > > > directly to Michael Dell.
    > > >

    > > > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    is
    > > the

    DellBot Alert!!!
    > OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center in
    > India speaks some sort of Asian language.
    > Now you tell me who the incompetent ones are!
    >

    > "chico" <chico@blowitoutyourbutt.com> wrote in message
    > > Dell apparently has decided it is easier to teach its customers a
    foreign
    > > language than it is to teach their tech support English!
    > > ching, wing, ding, choy fung Dell!!
    > >

    > > "Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > > Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > > > printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand
    > the
    > > > person I spoke with.

    Who you calling a Mexican you stinking gringo?! I'm Honduran. I suppose we
    all look alike to you huh? But I can speak the language unlike Dellindians.

    PC Medic wrote:

    > OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center in
    > India speaks some sort of Asian language.
    >
    > <snip>

    I normally don't like feeding into these types of conversations,
    but that was pretty good! <g>

    Notan

    Irene wrote:

    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > > Because the buyer appears to have selected the wrong region and language
    > > during initial setup.
    >
    > I'm not convinced that assumption is valid.
    >
    > Based on the fact that the original poster said:
    >
    > " printed in a foreign language"
    >
    > Printed to me, means printed as in, on paper, rather than "displayed" as
    > in, what would appear on a computer display.

    Well, OP, which is it?

    Notan

    > PC Medic wrote:
    > >
    > > OK, we have a Mexican that thinks an American company's support center
    in
    > > India speaks some sort of Asian language.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    >
    > I normally don't like feeding into these types of conversations,
    > but that was pretty good! <g>

    I generally avoid them (whiners) myself, but if you are going to flame, I
    wish they would at least be honest about their experience.

    This is my first foray into this group and I have to comment on this
    thread. I bought a new Dell system (xp) in April and upgraded
    several items at that time. No one mentioned to me that 256 mg of ram
    isn't enough to get any kind of satisfactory output from this machine,
    that I should have been told I needed 512 mg......

    The programs Dell has put on this machine are a pain. For example,
    I will never buy McAfee. They drive me crazy taking over the machine
    much too often when I first log on "updating," without my input on
    whether it's a good time or not. At the same time, they've missed
    some emails containing a virus that Norton found through Earthlink
    and removed. AOL is there. I haven't used it and even tried to
    cancel but was told to wait until a few days before my "free trial
    period" was up. Microsoft's Outlook Express is there. I've had
    Forte' Agent for years and consider it the sweetest little software
    program for email and newsgroups available, bar none. Even though I
    have designated Agent as my default mail/newsgroup....the system
    doesn't always accept that, telling me periodically that my default
    mail system isn't set up properly.....No question Dell and Microsoft
    are in bed together..... I'm just about ready to tell Microsoft's
    Internet Explorer sayonara and go back to Netscape (although, didn't I
    hear that Microsoft bought them out too?) There are some programs on
    the machine I haven't even looked at yet.

    Be forewarned that when you buy Dell, in addition to Windows you
    become a captive audience to most of Microsoft's other programs, which
    they will all unceasingly bug you to buy when their trial period is
    up. I'm somewhat amazed by this as I thought this was the problem
    raised in the government's lawsuit against Microsoft. This is my
    fourth computer, my first factory Dell, although I did have a Dell
    clone that was built for me, and I never had any complaints with my
    previous three.

    In addition to Dell having a support center in India, I have to deal
    with Earthlink (not for much longer, I think) which also has their
    support centers in other countries. I have to wonder if Earthlink
    purposefully keeps cutting off my connection to the net whether I'm on
    the web or in my email program in an effort to upgrade my account from
    standard dial-up or they just don't have anyone locally (i.e., in the
    U.S.) working on local problems. I think when I try to connect and am
    told "unable to connect with the remote computer," they aren't kidding
    about the "remote" part. Boy do I miss the good old days.

    Incidentally, Irene, you've written some good responses, but I've
    gotta ask: you don't seriously think Michael Dell personally reads
    emails from his customers, do you?

    The consumer complaint group * www.planetfeedback.com is what I
    consider the best way to go. Complaints can be sent there and they
    will post the problem and also forward a copy to the company in
    question. Actually, it's a good place to go when researching items
    you wish to purchase.

    *this url will take you to Intelliseek....there, on the right hand
    side you will see where to click if you are a consumer.

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:05:43 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >You have a twenty day period to send it back.
    >If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a very
    >detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
    >directly to Michael Dell.
    >

    >"Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    >> printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand the
    >> person I spoke with.

    If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.

    You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.

    You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.

    Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.

    In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to this
    group.

    Rocky

    "Virginia Taylor" <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > will post the problem and also forward a copy to the company in
    > question. Actually, it's a good place to go when researching items
    > you wish to purchase.
    >
    > *this url will take you to Intelliseek....there, on the right hand
    > side you will see where to click if you are a consumer.
    >

    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:05:43 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >You have a twenty day period to send it back.
    > >If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
    very
    > >detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent
    > >directly to Michael Dell.
    > >

    > >"Don Linder" <DonlinMc@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >> Just got a new Dell and everything (documents, Operating Sys, etc.) is
    > >> printed in a foreign language. I called Dell but could not understand

    more squirrel droppings by a stupid squirrel. you're the biggest troll in
    this ng. can't you go find a tire to run under?

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > gotta ask: you don't seriously think Michael Dell personally reads
    > > emails from his customers, do you?
    > >
    > > The consumer complaint group * www.planetfeedback.com is what I
    > > consider the best way to go. Complaints can be sent there and they
    > > will post the problem and also forward a copy to the company in
    > > question. Actually, it's a good place to go when researching items
    > > you wish to purchase.
    > >
    > > *this url will take you to Intelliseek....there, on the right hand
    > > side you will see where to click if you are a consumer.
    > >

    > > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:05:43 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >You have a twenty day period to send it back.
    > > >If I were in your place, it would already be on it's way, along with a
    > very
    > > >detailed letter of explanation, with another copy of that letter sent

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:46 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

    >If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.
    I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
    company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
    we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.

    >You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
    Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
    loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
    who's to say they give one their pick?

    >You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.
    This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
    had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
    doesn't tell you about the garbage.

    >Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
    Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
    latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.

    >In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to this
    >group.
    I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
    troll? Why don't you get a life?

    >Rocky

    and which company do you work for, Rocky? Dell? Microsoft?

    Lol...your post speaks for itself.

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:46 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    >
    > >If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.
    > I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
    > company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
    > we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.
    >
    > >You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
    > Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
    > loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
    > who's to say they give one their pick?
    > >
    > >You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.
    > This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
    > had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
    > doesn't tell you about the garbage.
    > >
    > >Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
    > Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
    > latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.
    > >
    > >In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to
    this
    > >group.
    > I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
    > troll? Why don't you get a life?
    > >
    > >Rocky
    > >
    > and which company do you work for, Rocky? Dell? Microsoft?

    Sadly, as does yours.

    > Lol...your post speaks for itself.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "Virginia Taylor" <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:46 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    > > <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.
    > > I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
    > > company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
    > > we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.
    > >
    > > >You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
    > > Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
    > > loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
    > > who's to say they give one their pick?
    > > >
    > > >You could have requested that no ISP software be installed.
    > > This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
    > > had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
    > > doesn't tell you about the garbage.
    > > >
    > > >Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
    > > Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
    > > latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.
    > > >
    > > >In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to
    > this
    > > >group.
    > > I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
    > > troll? Why don't you get a life?
    > > >
    > > >Rocky
    > > >
    > > and which company do you work for, Rocky? Dell? Microsoft?

    "Virginia Taylor" <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
    > company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
    > we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.

    Windows XP will run OK with 256 megs but 512 is better. Dell's computer is
    complete but you need to have some minimum knowledge of what your computer
    will be used for and theeven hardware and software requirements. You don't
    need to be an expert. Freedom to customize requires knowledge to make
    choices. There is no one size to fit all. Home use computers can run from
    about $500.00 to $3,000.00 Obviously, there's a great deal of difference in
    what you can get.

    I object to Dells maketing $350 computers with 128 mgs of ram shared with
    video. There was an ad in today's Wall St. Jrl. This may be good marketing
    but is misleading. As in everything else, knowledge is power and the
    ignorant get burned.

    > >You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
    > Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
    > loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
    > who's to say they give one their pick?

    Just go to Dell's web site. The choices are clearly described. You could
    have asked a computer knowledgable friend for help or even posted your
    question in this group before your bought.

    > This is the first complete unit I've bought....all other times I've
    > had PC clones built for me with items I requested be installed. Dell
    > doesn't tell you about the garbage.

    This is the advantge of going to a local store and receiving advise and
    personal service. You pay a little more, but in your case, it would have
    been beneficial. Dell's web site DOES tell you everything being installed,
    but you have to read and understand what they are saying. You don't seem
    interested in learning even the basics of computers. Just a suggestion, you
    might look into a Mac for your next computer.

    > >Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system.
    > Than this is new. I've had Windows 95 and Windows 98 prior to this
    > latest machine....never had Outlook Express been included.

    You can use other email and news reader programs but you would also need to
    learn how to install them.

    > >In other words, you are a troll with nothing of value to contribute to
    this
    > >group.
    > I don't think you know what you're talking about Rocky. Now who's the
    > troll?

    I think Rocky was a little hard on you. You're not a Troll (a newsgroup
    trouble starter).

    Virginia Taylor <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> writes:
    > I'm just about ready to tell Microsoft's
    > Internet Explorer sayonara and go back to Netscape (although, didn't I
    > hear that Microsoft bought them out too?) There are some programs on
    > the machine I haven't even looked at yet.

    Netscape was bought by AOL.

    What you want to try is Mozilla, the open source browser. You might
    hit a rare "IE only" web site, but OTOH most malware targets IE, not
    Mozilla. If you have a slow connection, Mozilla's tabbed browsing is
    wonderful.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 02:32:46 GMT, Virginia Taylor
    <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:44:46 -0400, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    ><rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If you want to know how much RAM to buy, do some research.
    >I do believe the folks (such as myself) that do business with a
    >company like Dell, do for the reason that they sell complete units and
    >we don't pretend to be computer hardware and software experts.
    >
    >>You could have chosen Norton AntiVirus.
    >Oh really? I didn't even know the machine would come with antivirus
    >loaded...had I known that, I would have requested Norton, although
    >who's to say they give one their pick?

    Apparently you did not go through Dell's "customize" process with your
    computer order. This would have allowed you to choose between McAfee
    vs Norton, and AOL vs Earthlink, and you'd have seen all the 3rd party
    software that would have (or could have) been included.

    However, when I ordered a Dimension 2400 (bottom of the line, special
    sale deal) machine for my missus, I found that "customizing" it would
    have lost the low price. So I had to take it as is. And delete all
    the puckey myself (including the myriad and redundant icons that
    littered the desktop--geez I hate a messy desktop).

    There have been threads in this group in the past on how to remove
    unneeded software. Asking for help here is likely to be more useful
    than grumbling about Dell, Microsoft, et al.

    --John W. Wells
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On 15 Jul 2004 17:03:22 GMT, kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) wrote:

    >Netscape was bought by AOL.
    >
    >What you want to try is Mozilla, the open source browser. You might
    >hit a rare "IE only" web site, but OTOH most malware targets IE, not
    >Mozilla. If you have a slow connection, Mozilla's tabbed browsing is
    >wonderful.

    Thanks. I'll check them out...
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:36:47 -0700, "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com>
    wrote:

    >Windows XP will run OK with 256 megs but 512 is better. Dell's computer is
    >complete but you need to have some minimum knowledge of what your computer
    >will be used for and theeven hardware and software requirements. You don't
    >need to be an expert. Freedom to customize requires knowledge to make
    >choices. There is no one size to fit all. Home use computers can run from
    >about $500.00 to $3,000.00 Obviously, there's a great deal of difference in
    >what you can get.
    Unfortunately, I'd had such good luck previously, it never occurred to
    me this one wouldn't be of the same quality. I paid over one thousand
    for it, not including some of the extras I picked up at Fry's, and was
    told that would get me a good machine.

    >Just go to Dell's web site. The choices are clearly described. You could
    >have asked a computer knowledgable friend for help or even posted your
    >question in this group before your bought.

    How about a knowledgable son that's in the business? Can you believe
    I didn't even run it past him? As for posting in this group, I didn't
    even think of it until yesterday, letting my frustrations get the best
    of me and keeping me offline. Incidentally, I'm not saying all my
    problems are Dell related...Earthlink seems to be having some problems
    that add to mine.

    Also, I couldn't check out Dell's website as I couldn't get into my
    previous machine, which indicated memory module problems.

    > You don't seem interested in learning even the basics of computers.
    Then I've misled you. I'm a big advocate of stand-alone auxiliary
    programs such as Agent, Netcom, Netscape,etc., having set up a number
    of them and using without any problems. My problems didn't start
    until I bought this Dell.

    >Just a suggestion, you might look into a Mac for your next computer.
    Now you sound just like my son.

    >You can use other email and news reader programs but you would also need to
    >learn how to install them.
    This is what my present frustration is all about. I do know how to
    install and use them, they just don't function on my present
    equipment. I'm going to add another 256 mg of ram, and see if that
    helps. But I have to insist that I truly believe some of if not most
    of my problems are due to the fact that this Dell machine was set up
    to use the programs that came with it (example: when opening AOL, it
    announces Dell and AOL......) and doesn't make it easy to use one's
    own choices.

    I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my tale of
    woe....v
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:15:05 GMT, Virginia Taylor <ginhal@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > I'm going to add another 256 mg of ram, and see if that
    >helps.
    You'll probably find the prices better at crucial.com then at Dell.

    By the way the reason you originally caught flack from some morons
    who post on the group is that you had the audacity to say something
    negative about Dell. However, there are more than enough helpful,
    knowledgable people here to make up for the few jackasses.

    Shayne
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <shayne@cyburban.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:15:05 GMT, Virginia Taylor <ginhal@ix.netcom.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to add another 256 mg of ram, and see if that
    >>helps.
    > You'll probably find the prices better at crucial.com then at Dell.
    >
    > By the way the reason you originally caught flack from some morons
    > who post on the group is that you had the audacity to say something
    > negative about Dell. However, there are more than enough helpful,
    > knowledgable people here to make up for the few jackasses.
    >
    > Shayne

    About 10 days ago, picking up an extra 256mb of RAM for a 4600 (2 x 128) was
    about $30 cheaper at crucial than adding it on the small business website,
    fwiw....

    Stew

Dell Computers